NEW MUSTANG GT CAN GO 0-TO-60 MPH IN LESS THAN FOUR SECONDS

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Damn, a 2018 with the same options as my 2015 is $6000 more. That's quite a jump.

I guess ugly cost extra.

It added DI, mag ride, sync 3, and a new 10 speed auto.

Mag ride is an option. The cost between the 10sp and 6spd is not much. How much better is Sync 3 than the previous gen's. Maybe a $100 per a car. The 25 bump in HP is very costly. I'll just tune my 16 and beat up on the 18+ cars.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I guess ugly cost extra.

Mag ride is an option. The cost between the 10sp and 6spd is not much. How much better is Sync 3 than the previous gen's. Maybe a $100 per a car. The 25 bump in HP is very costly. I'll just tune my 16 and beat up on the 18+ cars.

Its not just component cost, but also "added value." You better believe they want extra profit on that extra value.

I wonder if it has some expensive forged components?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Didn't realize mag ride was optional. I thought I read somewhere it was standard but I must be mistaken.

SirShaun

Established Member
"The car’s 5.0-liter V8 now features dual-fuel, high-pressure direct injection and low-pressure port fuel injection technology for increased power and efficiency."

This just seems like more to go wrong and a headache. Wonder how tuning is going to be affected by this? Is it 2 injectors per cylinder now if you want to mod?

They didn't really touch on the computer either. Wonder what kind of goodies you can change? Electronic stall converter? I'm loving the talks of the 10speed and algorithms, the different shift patterns, the WOT shifting.

Did they make the internals beefier? To get more horsepower, they may have made the rods weaker. A lighter rotating assembly.

I'll keep my old iron block for now. Where the F is the new GT500, packed full of all that technology?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
"The car’s 5.0-liter V8 now features dual-fuel, high-pressure direct injection and low-pressure port fuel injection technology for increased power and efficiency."

This just seems like more to go wrong and a headache. Wonder how tuning is going to be affected by this? Is it 2 injectors per cylinder now if you want to mod?

They didn't really touch on the computer either. Wonder what kind of goodies you can change? Electronic stall converter? I'm loving the talks of the 10speed and algorithms, the different shift patterns, the WOT shifting.

Did they make the internals beefier? To get more horsepower, they may have made the rods weaker. A lighter rotating assembly.

I'll keep my old iron block for now. Where the F is the new GT500, packed full of all that technology?

Lighter doesn't necessarily mean weaker. They got more hp out of it from a compression bump coupled with the better DI.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Mustang starts at 25, GT starts at 35, vibrations start at 45...

giphy.gif

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Holy crap did your mom get the Internet turned back on?
I joke I joke.

It's cool but honestly it's only cool if you have the options that push it close to 50k

I dunno, havent lived in my parents basement since Bush was in office.

Yeah definitely crazy, maybe ill be in the market for one circa 2022 at the rate I'm going lol.

jesus i lol'ed hahahahaha

@thomas91169 the hell you been?

Alright, just busy as ****. I haven't perused SVTP for a while, usually just checking in on car releases and feedback. Figured this one was special though, especially considering my love for manuals but the lack of any advancement in manual gearbox tech and the insane advancement in autos, and my laziness as I get older and annoyed with shitty gearboxes (my Gen's manual is a tragedy these days, making spirited driving almost impossible at times), making me want an auto more and more on my next car.

Love the new specs, not sure on the 6Gb facelift. Someone said earlier it looked like a 15-17 with downs, and id 100% agree. They went the wrong direction with the facelift. Though with the specs, 10AT and the interior touches and digital dash stuff, if I was in the market for one that would make up for it. I'm sure aftermarket will carry solutions to help make the front look less downy......

GT500 concept styling pics though, superb.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

I didnt even notice the mention of high and low pressure rails. Per that description, it sounds like you still have one injector in the actual cylinder (the direct injector) and one on the intake port (typical MPFI). I cant really think logically which one makes better sense, maybe when warranted the direct injector takes over during high load/high rpm so you can use it when you want to only inject fuel as close to spark event as possible.

For modding, you might have a shitload of fuel system headroom now with having two rails per bank. Or you might need to just replace your low side injectors and pump when extra fuel is needed for say boosted applications, and program the ecu to just use the low side for the extra delivery and not mess with the high side. Or maybe opposite, I guess well have to wait to see what tuners start doing.

Considering were seeing rumors of the next GT500 being a Coyote derived platform with high 600's, id assume they are going to be using alot of the above tech. Its one thing for aftermarket to get mid 600's with coyotes, but another thing for Ford to do it with warranty. Id bet that engine has a nice forged rotating assembly, and all the bells and whistles.

Drewsky65

Established Member
But, but, but but Ford needs to answer the Demon as it's the be all end all of all car performance and tech. Not as with the new 35 MPG CAFE standards that is just a total waste of resources and money.

I really do think the Demon is going to be a money loser. As again I don't see people lining up to buy Challengers, unlike they do for the Camaro and Mustang. Again i see 4 to 5 of the Camaro and Mustang for every Challenger out there.

But this is exactly what Ford needs is a car that can give even more expensive and niche European models a run for their money and at only a fraction of the price. If they do make a GT 500 then it definitley needs that 10 speed auto as if not then lots of luck as the ZL-1 and Hellcat puts rings around it as they outsell it about 5 to 1.

Here in AZ I actually see about 4-5 challenger and charger to mustang and camaro combined. Way more of those it seems

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
A nice article about some of the engine changes for the 2018 Coyote: http://www.fordnxt.com/news/a-peek-inside-the-2018-mustangs-gen-3-coyote-engine/

Decent article, but it seems they omitted to include some details.

Gen 3 cams are still controlled by the same Twin Independent Variable Cam Timing strategy as the Gen 2 versions on the intake side. The exhaust side, however, utilizes a completely new strategy.

They don't tell us what changed on the exhaust side.

Small bump in displacement is nice.

I have a feeling this Gen 3 platform is going to have huge potential.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
So now the Mustang and Camaro MSRP for about the same now? I remember that being the only saving grace for the Mustang being a better value.
$25,850 + $900 for the Mustang, base eco
$26,900 for the Camaro (includes shipping)
$35,090 + $900 Base Mustang GT
$37,995 for 1SS

Similar split between 2LS and the eco premium and the 2SS and GT premium.

Mustang is still a few grand cheaper for a base GT, which it needed to be.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
So now the Mustang and Camaro MSRP for about the same now? I remember that being the only saving grace for the Mustang being a better value.

You can get a loaded 2SS with nav, dual mode exhaust etc for 39K after substantial discounts. There is a dealer not too far from me that is discounting the hell out them, 6th gens just sitting on that lot.

17_SS.GIF

2SS_Camaro.GIF

Last edited:

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Didn't the Pill say GM is thinking about axing the Camaro? He knows guys he knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread