new Kia Sorrento?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone have feedback on these? Mom said she was gonna look around because the suburban was just too much for her these days. She seems pretty set on it and I know NOTHING about them other than she was at the local scumbag lot

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
My kid had one for few years back in 18. No issues that he mentioned. Only got rid of it because his new wife had a better ride.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm not familiar with the Kia line, but I am familiar with the sister Hyundai offerings. My wife leased two Hyundai sisters as recent as 2018. If you haven't test driven one yet, do so. Hopefully they've improved the auto transmission from what my wife had in her Hyundai SUVs. The interiors on the 2023 are top notch IMO, with a handful of model trims to choose from. If you're looking for a reliable, good looking mid-size SUV, definitely take it for a decent test drive. The features list is long on the available model trims.

I really like the Wolf Gray paint.
desktop.png

And how's this for a pretty cool optional feature.

Find My Car with Surround View Monitor
More than just a pin on a map, the available Surround View Monitor can display your vehicle’s surroundings on your device so that you can find your bearings and feel more secure.

shurur

Established Member
Good vehicle, but concern with design of Hyundai-kia fuel system and engine fires.

Mazda CX-30 is moving up in the ratings with Skyactiv drivetrain. That is our first choice SUV.

Skyactiv.

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
Can’t speak to any model other than my Stinger which has been awesome and always gets a lot of good attention.

However, the biggest downfall to Kia as a brand is their dealer network. It is absolutely, positively the worst. If you need anything diagnosed prepare to be told “they all do that” or “unable to duplicate customer concern”. Just ****ing abysmal.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Spend the money on a better product. Has Kia/Hyundai improved? I guess? The recalls are worrisome and the gremlins on the turbo engines are frustrating.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
These still getting stolen for fun or have they fixed that yet, apparently its ridiculously easy and widespread. I liked the Stinger as well but its off the list because of that.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
These still getting stolen for fun or have they fixed that yet, apparently its ridiculously easy and widespread. I liked the Stinger as well but its off the list because of that.

Yup, the hood rats got it figured out where it takes seconds.

Kia Boys documentary is worth watching on Youtube.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

damn, I completely forgot about that. Ya, I saw a video where they basically pop the trim off and a USB end will turn the ignition

Edit: google search does not show the sorrento being one of them and supposedly 2022+ dont have that issue

jessie_sanders

Established Member
She has a 2019 Kia Sorento. The only problem is the rear windshield washer doesn't work. It's like the pump for the nozzle is somewhere in the front of the vehicle and there's no one way valve so there's never fluid in the line so the pump has to run forever. Other than that it's really not bad for what it is. Good mpg. Comfortable ride. Not fast by any means. My only complaint is the Kia service department. They are the worst of the absolute worst. If there are vehicles is hell, these people are here training for their service department career in the afterlife. **** kia's service department with a whale penis.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I have no complaints with the Sonata 2.0T in my sig. 91k and counting. Yes, had a few recalls here and there. So has every other brand.

Great bang for the buck
Runs very strong, 274hp and 3200ish pounds
Pretty good interior materials
Stellar mpg
Roomy insides
Still modern looking design even though car is 12 years old

Center dash display is way to bright even at it's lowest display
Same for the lit interior buttons
Soft touch materials is wearing off steering wheel and other pieces
Not the smoothest motor at idle
Transmission doesn't stay on the convertor enough, wants to unlock and downshift without boost doing its thing (I'm sure a tune would fix that). Working as it's supposed to, I just disagree with their trans tuning.
Lots of blind spots with the high belt line
A bit more NVH than I like

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member

From what I’ve seen the problem only exists in non push button start cars. Stinger has push button start.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
I have no complaints with the Sonata 2.0T in my sig. 91k and counting. Yes, had a few recalls here and there. So has every other brand.

Great bang for the buck
Runs very strong, 274hp and 3200ish pounds
Pretty good interior materials
Stellar mpg
Roomy insides
Still modern looking design even though car is 12 years old
I had a 2012 and it had more than a few recalls. Actually it had many. A number of the recalls were quite serious rather than nonsense. That car is why I'd never buy another from the brand. Some of the ways the car was designed made me shake my head.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I just traded for a 2022 CX-5 Premium Package with like 10k miles on it. Nice ride.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I had a 2012 and it had more than a few recalls. Actually it had many. A number of the recalls were quite serious rather than nonsense. That car is why I'd never buy another from the brand. Some of the ways the car was designed made me shake my head.
Never said they were nonsense recalls. Airbags (very common in that timeframe due to the Takata nonsense, ask Mercedes owners who are STILL screwed over that whole deal), a few reprograms on the knock sensor due to some turbo motors eating themselves due to the knock sensor not doing its job. Trying to remember how many I've had total in 12 years of ownership. Want to say maybe 5ish? They also extended the warranty on the motor to I think lifetime if detonation causes the failure.

Compare that to the pile that is my daughter's 14 Focus with the infamous DCT transmission and the internal Ford failure to address the problem prior to actually releasing the car and sticking 1000's of people with a terrible trans that eats clutches every 40k miles.

I'd rather a manufacturer eat crow and step up to the plate with recalls up front than have to fight tooth and nail than to sweep it under the rug as Ford did with the Focus/Fiesta DCT fiasco. I'm a die hard Ford guy but the way that was handled was terrible. They finally stepped up to the plate and extended warranties on some after 1000's reported issues.

All manufacturers have issues. Cars are some of the most complicated mechanical devices manufactured. The trick is how do the manufacturers handle those issues. Sweep it under the rug, or lead from the front and take charge and address those issues.

Ford screwed the pooch for a solid 3-4 years and finally stepped up to the plate. It recently took from August to November to receive a new TCM for the focus (computer for the trans). Thank goodness it was actually under the warranty that ford extended. Ford actually paid for a rental that entire time so that helped make me feel better about the whole deal. They certainly didn't have to pay for the rental but did as a good grace moment. FYI, it is on clutch #4 at only 91k miles total. Yes, it will be traded as soon as we get our new home built.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Lets not pat Hyundai on the back as the company was being sued in a class action suit for the Theta failures which is why the warranty was increased as well as the replacing of the engines. My '12 had ten or so recalls plus an off warranty repair thanks to a TSB. Some of the recalls were complete bunk but some were very serious like the fuel pipe, the oil line to the turbo, the engine, etc..., My non car enthusiast wife would always laugh when we received a letter from Hyundai in the mail, alerting us of another recall, because she said all they needed to do was recall the tranny and the car would be like new considering everything else which was replaced.

Some companies are better than others. The Koreans are not like the Japanese.

Users who are viewing this thread