New HVAC system

YJSONLY

Established Member
Propane costs can be crazy. Last year we were paying $4/gallon, this year it's about $2/gallon. That's a HUGE difference when filling up a 500 gallon tank multiple times throughout the year.

That's because enterprise who owns the pipeline. Shut down the pipeline because they wanted too.... Therefore driving costs to triple the price because they could! Because no one else could move the gas across the country without semi or train and the price would be just as much.

This is to clear up the Jan-March 2014 price screwing we ALL took. It was not a fun time. My family owns a propane company.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
Thanks for all the info. i am going to get with the vendor about the thermostat as well as some questions about the location. Thanks again!

Thump_rrr

Established Member
Thanks for all the info. i am going to get with the vendor about the thermostat as well as some questions about the location. Thanks again!

I've been communicating with another member here by PM trying to figure out his issues with his system and this is what I found.
I can't understand how a contractor can make such a mistake this day and age.
A simple mistake such as this can literally cost someone all the savings a new system provides and more.

OK here is your main problem from what I can see.
If you look at the following manuals you will notice that the first one is for your thermostat.
The second is for the Honeywell IAQ.
Your thermostat was made by Honeywell for American Standard.

If you look at the programming section 360 on both manuals you will see that with the IAQ you can lock out the electric heat all the way down to 5F.
With your thermostat you can only lock out the electric heat down to 40F.
Even the worst heatpump built in 1999 can run down to at the very least 25F before requiring electric backup.

http://www.asdealernet.com/resources...1-hd02d9-3.pdf

http://site.theenergyconscious.com/p...ort-System.pdf

97ReoCobra

Established Member
I'm definitely following this thread. Moved to FL a few months ago. At this time my heat pump seems to work fine. But it looks quite old, I believe it is a 1996 model and is a Tempstar. I am thinking of getting quotes on replacing it in the near future rather than waiting for it to fail on some blisteringly hot day. From previous reading I was leaning toward a Rheem unit as it was said to be the best for this area of the country. Based on what I see here I will also have to consider Trane. This is great information. I appreciate all the input from the experts!

Users who are viewing this thread