new guy here, need some advise on my planned build in the next couple months

stievo

Established Member
hello ladies and gents of the svtperformance forums, id like to introduce myself as the new noob on the site, lol my name is Steve.

ive actually been on this site for a little over a year now waiting and lurking till i could snag up a terminator. I finally got my wish last november when i picked up my 03 sonic blue cobra, in portland oregon and trailored back to my home in idaho. Im pretty darn new when it comes to owning a domestic. But i know the rep the cobra has and had to get my hands on one. I bought it pretty well stock, has some exhaust work done but i havent been under the car yet to scope out what exhaust it is. It also came with proxy td 315's in the rear.
As luck would have it the car started to have the notorious 03 head tick. So without missing a beat i got on this forum and purchased some brand new 04 cobra heads. While i was at it i figured i might have them ported at the local motorports shop as well as look into some comp stage 3 cams, comp behive valve springs and comp steel retainers Which i also found on here from a member.

My goals for this car 650whp on a safe tune. She is going to be a weekend warrior with the occasional 1/4 mile. The parts as follows are what ive come up with to get my car there, this is my wishlist to be purchased in the next couple of months. the kb2.8, Kooks longtube headers with xpipe, jlt 110mm high boost intake accufab single blade TB. 80lb injectors and a kennebell boost apump. The 80lb injectors because i would like to run on e85.

So heres the advise i need. A clutch that'll handle the power that can still be driven on the street. What maff should i run?

Am i going to need to swap out the irs for a solid axle pushing the power i want? If not which irs brace/drag suspension should i run?

Any advise about my build would be greatly appreciated due to it is first domestic/ford build

Thanks
-Steve

P.s. pics will come when the snow melts and i can get the car out of my shop.

cobra_mer

Established Member
Full Tilt Boogie Racing check this site out for info on the irs, you can keep it.
Some of the other things like clutch, flywheel, MAF, is personal preference. I'm sure other will chime in on what they prefer or what they think is better. I prefer Spec 3+ clutch and BA3000 MAF.

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
Congrats, you're probably going to need more than a bap with a cammed twin screw on e85 though.

Corona-Extra

Miles Away From Ordinary
Established Member
Spec 3+ clutch and BA3000 MAF and your going to need A LOT more fuel for e85 with that blower. trip walbro's and 105 lb/hr. (that gives you room for more when 650 gets boring because trust me, it will. what ever you do, do not be cheap with the fuel system.

greengt88

Established Member
Fuel: fore hat, gt pumps, dual fpdm's.....if u can find them or mdm jr. 60"s pump. 80's e85
Clutch: 26 spline input shaft, clutch of ur choice spec 3+ is very popular, steel flywheel for street, helps with chatter, or alum if u don't care. Frpp throw out bearing throw the spec one in the trash. Steel tob retainer sleeve, arp bolts, frpp clutch fork.
Full Tilt Boogie Racing don't down grade to Solid Rear please. Take the time to read the FAQ'S and watch the videos. Do urself a favor. Resale will also plummet with that swap. Also look at Home if u want to see what an irs is capable of. 9sec. is def. Possible. Hope that helps you.

stievo

Established Member
Thanks for tthe advise gents. Also what should I just for spark and ignition? What do you use for engine management?

silvrsrt

Established Member
welcome to the site Stevo! I am on here more than ims sorry I didnt respond to your pm. Like the guys said your going to need a big fuel system for E85 but it will be worth it!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
So heres the advise i need. A clutch that'll handle the power that can still be driven on the street.
My next clutch will be a 26 spline McLeod RXT twin disc, expensive but worth every penny from what I have read.

What maff should i run?
I would use the big SCT BA3000, you will have room to grow well beyond 700rwhp.

Am i going to need to swap out the irs for a solid axle pushing the power i want? If not which irs brace/drag suspension should i run?
You absolutely DO NOT NEED an SRA, do the FTBR complete bushing rebuild and do either one of the beefier aftermarket diff covers or the billetflow brace.

Any advise about my build would be greatly appreciated due to it is first domestic/ford build
Thanks
-Steve
P.s. pics will come when the snow melts and i can get the car out of my shop.

I would do the new Lethal return fuel system with either 80 or 105# injectors,(check with your tuner), there are options on the fuel system you can ask them about that they can adapt it up to E85 standards, it shouldn't be that much more.

bb97gt

Established Member
I agree with much of the above. Def look into the Full Tilt Boogie kit. Never hurts to go over kill on the fuel system, I just installed the Lethal triple return system and it is a very nice set up. You will need a lot of fuel with E85!!! I would highly suggest looking into a McLeod twin disk clutch set up, I absolutely LOVE my RXT, drivability and pedal pressure are just amazing, you get what you pay for. Also install a 26 spline input shaft while the tranny is out.

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
I agree with all the suggestions so far. The 26 spline McLeod RXT twin disc will be my next clutch. As far as the fuel system you have some options but that is one area you do not want to cut corners.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you're trying to decide between beefing up the IRS or going with a SRA, read the info in this link. It should help you with either direction. .. Terminator IRS vs. SRA

Users who are viewing this thread