EditorTurner

Established Member
0-New-F-150-Burns-Down-Featured.jpg

Fire Truck
A month-old EcoBoost Ford F-150 mysteriously burns to the ground
By Steve Turner
Photos courtesy of Alex Dial

We come across a lot of interesting posts on our forums. Most of them are filled with tales of modifications, dyno numbers and track times. It’s usually a place for celebrating the hard work put into project vehicles. However, sometimes things don’t go as planned and people want to share their struggles too. Such is the case with a friend of Alex Dial, who posted a photo of his new truck that burned to the ground shortly after he purchased it.

“Yes it was a new 2016 F-150 had 20 miles on it when I bought it. Not really sure what caused the fire I just know I was on the way to work when I smelled something burning,” Alex explained. “So I pulled over popped the hood and the fuse box was on fire. As soon as I seen the flames I backed off to a safe distance and called 911.”

Fortunately, Alex has the familiar car-guy Spidey sense. He knew something was amiss when he caught a whiff of an unfamiliar smell. Because he stopped to investigate the scent, it likely saved him from injury or worse.

“The truck burned in less than 20 minutes. It only took the fire department 7 to 8 min to get there. By time the arrived the whole engine and cab were in flames. No I wasn't injured,” he said. “And no there is literally nothing left to the truck but the frame and I’m waiting to here back from Ford to see what will be done. It’s been a week now and I haven't heard anything.”

The cause of the fire had yet to be determined, but Alex is in a really tough spot due to a mix-up with his insurance company during the transition from his trade-in to the new truck.

“I’m just hoping Ford makes things right,” Alex said. “The dealership never called my insurance company to have it switched over from my trade to the truck and now the insurance won’t cover it.”

With any luck this is an isolated incident and Alex will get thing sorted because there isn’t much left of his brand-new truck.

1-New-F-150-Burns-Down.jpg

After just a few minutes there was little left of this new F-150. “And, yeah, it could have been a lot worse,” Alex said of his truck fire. “If I wasn't a car guy I could have ignored the smell then I'd be hurting.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Are there states where the dealership is required to call the insurance company? I thought it was the buyers responsibility. At least here I believe the requirement is you show proof of insurance before you can drive it off the lot, doesn't have to be for the new vehicle though as your current insurance covers it for 10 days. It is your responsibility to call the insurance company to update the policy within that time frame.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Always been my responsibilty to let MY insurance company know of the purchase. Bad situation, but I don't see Ford doing anything about it.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Are there states where the dealership is required to call the insurance company? I thought it was the buyers responsibility. At least here I believe the requirement is you show proof of insurance before you can drive it off the lot, doesn't have to be for the new vehicle though as your current insurance covers it for 10 days. It is your responsibility to call the insurance company to update the policy within that time frame.

unless they changed it in CA you have automatic 30 day coverage of any new/used vehicle purchase you make. ie you have 30 days to notify your insurance company you have acquired another vehicle. its been a while since ive bought a car from a dealership but vaguely recall them asking for proof of insurance during the paperwork part of the sale.

if this guy is in a state where its the dealer's responsibility to inform them than the dealer is responsible for replacing the vehicle due to their failure to follow the required state regulations.

either way im sure ford will step up and replace this truck unless they can somehow discover/prove arson. just bad publicity for their new aluminum trucks theyre trying to push on the world.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I would be interested in seeing how Ford doesn't cover this under warranty. There wasn't even enough time to do "general maintenance"

blk02edge

Established Member
Just curious on if being an ecoboost would have anything to do with this incident? Seems like a pretty prejudice statement!

When the new Ford gt first started out it had a few hicoughs and he blamed it on ecoboost saying it was weak and the reason the FGT will always fail even though the ecoboost in that GT was tuned down over 100hp and the failures were due to tranny issues totally unrelated.

Anyways.. welcome to Rainmaker and his obsessive trolling of anything ecoboost.

cyberdude47

Established Member
When the new Ford gt first started out it had a few hicoughs and he blamed it on ecoboost saying it was weak and the reason the FGT will always fail even though the ecoboost in that GT was tuned down over 100hp and the failures were due to tranny issues totally unrelated.

Anyways.. welcome to Rainmaker and his obsessive trolling of anything ecoboost.

Thanks for the info. I don't understand why some individuals are so obsessed on their efforts to distribute negativity on matters. Anyways on the original topic. I hope that everything works in the favor of the person whom lost their truck

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I really hope the owner gets things sorted out financially really quick. That is a huge cloud over his head, not knowing if Ford will step up to the plate and replace the truck since it appears that he had no legal insurance coverage. Sucks!

scott9050

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I'll take "Why I carry a fire extinguisher in every vehicle I own" for $1,000 Alex.

08mojo

Established Member
I'll wager that an oil line came loose from a turbo and started the fire. Just a wager, don't "flame" me.

The quotes stated it was started by an electrical fire at the fusebox.

In GA, it is the insuree's responsibility to transfer coverage to their new vehicle. But does that really matter in this case? What if it was a farm truck that did not carry insurance? In my mind, this is solely a FORD warranty issue.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

The quotes stated it was started by an electrical fire at the fusebox.

In GA, it is the insuree's responsibility to transfer coverage to their new vehicle. But does that really matter in this case? What if it was a farm truck that did not carry insurance? In my mind, this is solely a FORD warranty issue.

In the state of Missouri if you have full coverage on any other vehicle, you can purchase a vehicle and have it 10 days before you have to register it with your insurance; until the 10 days is up, it is completely covered.

Here's some havoc for you though, a little devils' advocate if I may.

I had a customer two years ago that bought a new 2014 Fusion, he traded in some old junker that he was buried in. We had explained to him that it wasn't the best financial decision, however he wanted/needed a new car, so he bought it anyways. He brought it back a week later and left it out in front of the building with 47 miles on it, saying that he wasn't going to be able to afford the payment etc etc etc.

I called him, explained that we had already gotten rid of his other car, and that at this point he was kinda SOL. He of course was pissed, called me every name in the book. Well, he came and got the car. About 3 hours later a few fire trucks and paramedics rushed by our store. The Fusion had mysteriously caught on fire and burned to the ground. The guy said it was a faulty car, etc etc etc.

After 6 months, it turns out he started it by using a light to catch the seat on fire (trying to play it off like it was the heated seats fault). We had every Ford engineer imaginable at our store combing over this car.

Not saying the guy with the truck is anywhere the same situation as described.....but who knows. Maybe he did the paperwork on the truck the week prior and had buyers remorse when he picked it up.... who knows.

I hope not, and I'm glad he's ok.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I remember someone on this site in the recent past that had a small electrical fire in a new mustang. We all rallied around him until proven it was something he had caused.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I remember someone on this site in the recent past that had a small electrical fire in a new mustang. We all rallied around him until proven it was something he had caused.

Yep, the impactblue guy.

I would still expect Ford to do a 'full investigation' for this truck, although it does not look like there's much left to comb through.

I imagine they'll have a fire inspector roll through it to determine origination.

Ford will end up getting the truck back to comb through to see if it's their design that caused it or sheer bad luck.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Yep, the impactblue guy.

I imagine they'll have a fire inspector roll through it to determine origination.

Ford will end up getting the truck back to comb through to see if it's their design that caused it or sheer bad luck.

Or aftermarket alarm install gone wrong

Users who are viewing this thread