DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I'll take "Why I carry a fire extinguisher in every vehicle I own" for $1,000 Alex.

I think its going to be very difficult to put out the new aluminum cars. The magnesium in the aluminum body burns very hot and fast. You would have to put the fire out very quickly.

In the state of Missouri if you have full coverage on any other vehicle, you can purchase a vehicle and have it 10 days before you have to register it with your insurance; until the 10 days is up, it is completely covered.

Here's some havoc for you though, a little devils' advocate if I may.

I had a customer two years ago that bought a new 2014 Fusion, he traded in some old junker that he was buried in. We had explained to him that it wasn't the best financial decision, however he wanted/needed a new car, so he bought it anyways. He brought it back a week later and left it out in front of the building with 47 miles on it, saying that he wasn't going to be able to afford the payment etc etc etc.

I called him, explained that we had already gotten rid of his other car, and that at this point he was kinda SOL. He of course was pissed, called me every name in the book. Well, he came and got the car. About 3 hours later a few fire trucks and paramedics rushed by our store. The Fusion had mysteriously caught on fire and burned to the ground. The guy said it was a faulty car, etc etc etc.

After 6 months, it turns out he started it by using a light to catch the seat on fire (trying to play it off like it was the heated seats fault). We had every Ford engineer imaginable at our store combing over this car.

Not saying the guy with the truck is anywhere the same situation as described.....but who knows. Maybe he did the paperwork on the truck the week prior and had buyers remorse when he picked it up.... who knows.

I hope not, and I'm glad he's ok.

Very good point. Not saying the guy is guilty of that, but I wouldn't doubt it if someone told me that was what actually happened.

Or aftermarket alarm install gone wrong

I've seen that too. It's unfortunate how many DIY installs cause huge damage.

I had asked about any modification such as automatic retracting steps or anything that required new wiring in the original thread that was started from a supposed friend of the owner. The guy said nothing had been touched on the truck.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Very good point. Not saying the guy is guilty of that, but I wouldn't doubt it if someone told me that was what actually happened.

I had asked about any modification such as automatic retracting steps or anything that required new wiring in the original thread that was started from a supposed friend of the owner. The guy said nothing had been touched on the truck.

I don't think he is, just throwing it out there.

Of course he would say that...lol Anyone would be dumb to admit that right away.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I don't think he is, just throwing it out there.

Of course he would say that...lol Anyone would be dumb to admit that right away.

I'm not taking his word for it, just putting it out there that it was already asked about lol. I have no reason to blame the guy, but I am definitely leaning towards this guy having done something wrong to cause it. Intentionally or other wise. This isn't exactly a known problem with any of Ford's vehicles.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The quotes stated it was started by an electrical fire at the fusebox.

In GA, it is the insuree's responsibility to transfer coverage to their new vehicle. But does that really matter in this case? What if it was a farm truck that did not carry insurance? In my mind, this is solely a FORD warranty issue.

I somehow missed that whole paragraph.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ive seen many put in by "professional" alarm install shops that were awful as well.

Agreed.

I'm not taking his word for it, just putting it out there that it was already asked about lol. I have no reason to blame the guy, but I am definitely leaning towards this guy having done something wrong to cause it. Intentionally or other wise. This isn't exactly a known problem with any of Ford's vehicles.

Yeah I understand. Well hopefully he's clean and everything works out as it should.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Looks like a similar incident happened to the aluminum prototype test vehicle:
Took 21 minutes for the vehicle to be ashes.

Ford Investigating Fire That Destroyed Prototype F-150 While Testing

Ford-F-150-Fire.jpg

SuperDutyFire_cdauto_74114_18.jpg

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Good lord. Why does the metal burn like that?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Exactly! And there are people that still think that a Jetliner couldn't bring down the twin towers.

99-venom

Established Member
Good lord. Why does the metal burn like that?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Some Aluminum alloys have Magnesium in them. Nothing that a fire crew carries will put out Magnesium. Titanium will burn like crazy too.

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
Purple K will quickly put out a magnesium fire but like Venom said most fire crews don't carry it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nxhappy

Established Member
LOL one truck out of 200,000 made, I would definitely call that BAD LUCK.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I'll take "Why I carry a fire extinguisher in every vehicle I own" for $1,000 Alex.

im no fireman but ive ready before that your average fire extinguisher than people carry in their vehicles will not be able to stop a vehicle fire. i guess maybe depending on what caused the fire (fuel, electrical, etc) and its location.

Users who are viewing this thread