New England area engine builders?

howie8124

Established Member
I'm looking to have an engine built but not sure if I want to ship a block out to mmr all the way in California. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on places that build engines in our area. I've heard too many horror stories of dez racing so I'm looking for other places. I'm really just looking for a place to have the engine built up and shipped back because I'll be able to drop it back in.

A.T

Established Member
I'm looking to have an engine built but not sure if I want to ship a block out to mmr all the way in California. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on places that build engines in our area. I've heard too many horror stories of dez racing so I'm looking for other places. I'm really just looking for a place to have the engine built up and shipped back because I'll be able to drop it back in.

What kind of power are looking at putting out? Power adders?

howie8124

Established Member
Looking for this engine to hold up a vortech blower at some point. It's for a 4 vavle engine. At this point though it will probably see a season or two of being N/A while I save up.

howie8124

Established Member
No rush at all actually. I was thinking about hopefully sending it out in the winter or spring and having it back and ready to go by April. I'm also starting to think just a flat out Mach motor or 03/04 motor would be a good swap, price pending of course.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Best bang for the buck is Ford's Reman'd Cobra Longblocks with the revised heads, they have a warranty,forged internals and Tousley usually has them in stock..

A.T

Established Member
Do you have the Vortech?
Better off to get a reman motor. Then sell yours if theres nothing wrong with it. Tousley is $4,050 if you have a core, $6,050 if you don't have a core.
If you don't have the Vortech, in some cases you might be better off to do a Terminator swap. Something like this is decent since it'll have ALL the little and costly things you would have to find to make a 4V swap and make an easy 500hp. 2003/2004 MUSTANG COBRA 4.6 V8 ENGINE T56 TRANSMISSION DOHC SUPERCHARGED MOTOR | eBay

Last edited:

howie8124

Established Member
This is going to be for a different car, Im going to be getting a 98 cobra with a bad motor. It was eating oil and tapping. So it needs an overhaul. I don't have a blower yet it's just an idea for the future.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Fred at Smg motoring in hopedale mass built my friends motor. Good clean shop and A+ quality work.

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
Fred at Smg motoring in hopedale mass built my friends motor. Good clean shop and A+ quality work.

J how, Vinny with the Camaro works with Fred (at least I'm pretty sure he still does). I've been to the shop, small place but he puts out tons of quality work.

Eatonualive281

Established Member

dez racing? what kind of horror stories? im looking around too... what kind of stuff has come out of there?

howie8124

Established Member
dez racing? what kind of horror stories? im looking around too... what kind of stuff has come out of there?

I've heard of cars blowing up on dynos at his shop, could be the owner of the cars fault. Also someone on here with a Mach 1 had a real bad write up about them.

streetone01

SVT
Established Member
I will second Fred at smg. He is a stand up guy who puts a huge emphasis on quality and customer satisfaction. I work hand in hand with him on the dyno often.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
Dez has someone else build his motors. Just find out who and call them. He used CE Racing until Bob died. Don't let Dez tune your car, but if he can get you a good price for a built motor then you should be ok.

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
so dont let dez tune your car? ok, i know of a few guys that got a tune done by him, should i tell them to get it checked?

There's just been too many bad story's about him to risk it. Don't turn this into a Dez nut hugger thread...its an engine builder thread

brys00gt

Established Member
Not a dez nutswinger but dez tuned my car after I built my built motor in.
Never had an issue with him or any of the guys at the shop. Dez found some stupid issues that were my fault and fixed them. Did a car blow up on the dyno, yes. Read the write up and see what mike Plummer has to say.
I would reach out to mike Plummer and see who he recommends. He and his buddy have some sick cars and are really knowledgable and will point you in the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread