New dyno results...Now car is running odd

Alb Cobra

Established Member
New dyno results...Now car is running odd 91 vs E85

Well took the car to the dyno today and got it tuned for 91 octane and since we had time thought we would try out some E85. Here is the dyno graph with the end tunes overlayed.

The car ran great till the last two pulls with the E85. It has a slight dip in the pull at about 5400 rpms. My tuner thought is backfiring possible a bad plug, hoping not a bad injector. We can unplug #8 and the engine had no change unplug any of the other injectors and the car would almost die.

Now my car is running extremely ROUGH now, engine rocking back and fouth and loud chattering with the rock coming form the transmission. :shrug: I can feel it in the shifter. We passed the time the turner agreed to work on the car we did not have time to try and diagnose a problem (he had personal stuff to take care of). The car feels like it is puttering/stuttering when on the gas and does not smooth out till running a constant rpm.

Any how here is the dyno graphs. We managed to get 497 rwhp during one of the runs but we backed the timing down a bit to get the 489rwhp run. I made 526/571 on E85.

Anybody have any idea what could cause this dip in the graph and or my car running rough??? Going to change the plugs tomorrow and drive the car back to the shop. Plan on leaving it there to see what it could be. I am at a lost I finally got the car running right again and now this.

CX3641MFPG-1603522-1.jpg

Last edited:

Alb Cobra

Established Member
Thinking it may be:

Bad plugs

Injector took a shit (on E85 injector duty cycle is at 86% 60lbers, FPDC is at 88-90%, 91 octane injector duty cycle is about 64% and FPDC is 71%)

Cam timing somehow got altered (school me on this just heard the turner talking about this with his co worker)

Hurt the engine (car is not smoking and does not seem to have any blow by)

Any other suggestions? I plan on changing the plugs and cleaning the maf tomorrow and leaving it at the shop. I don't have time to try and trouble shoot issues and am likely going to have to pay to have this done.

On a side note I measured my lower pulley and it measured 9 5/16" outer lip to outer lip. This to me says it is a 6lb lower right? This may be the reason I am running out of steam and falling off on the 91 octane tune at 6k. I would not think that this is a 4lb lower right

I am really baffled why the car is rocking so bad and chattering sounds coming from the back of the engine/front of the tranny.

Last edited:

Alb Cobra

Established Member
Did u check the frps?

Hmm..No I did not. I do have the KB disk in there and have had no problems since it was put in. I was popping them like crazy before the disk. I have upgraded fuel lines 8 an I think 1/2" ID I believe. Car is giving me fits upon start up and it was running smooth all day long even on the E85 ran good till the final two pulls. There was a spike in injector duty cycle at the dip then went back to normal or where it was at before.

Alb Cobra

Established Member
I did not make huge numbers but the area under the curve pick up was nice and I feel worth the change to E85 just need to figure out what the hell is wrong.....

I will check for fuel smell in the FRPS tomorrow when I am changing the plugs and cleaning the MAF.

Oh and the 91 octane pull was like the 8th or 9th pull on with in a one hour period. The E85 really cools down the downstream temps!

Alb Cobra

Established Member
Yeah that is the plan plugs. Every other time I popped a FRPS it threw a code and my car would not start. I'll have to call Ford tomorrow to see if they have one on tap...

Any reason why I can unplug injector for cylinder #8 and it has no effect on the way the car idles when all others that get unpluged make the car want to die?

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Yeah that is the plan plugs. Every other time I popped a FRPS it threw a code and my car would not start. I'll have to call Ford tomorrow to see if they have one on tap...

Any reason why I can unplug injector for cylinder #8 and it has no effect on the way the car idles when all others that get unpluged make the car want to die?

Yes actually there is a reason for that.
That cylinder is not firing so unplugging anything on it will make no difference.

It's hurt.

It could be a hurt plug, a hurt coil, a hurt valve, or a hurt piston.
OR all of the above.

How much boost were you putting in it?
Did you really not know which lower you were running, until after it got hurt?

I would not be able to sleep until I had closely inspected that plug.
Good luck with it.

Alb Cobra

Established Member
Yes actually there is a reason for that.
That cylinder is not firing so unplugging anything on it will make no difference.

It's hurt.

It could be a hurt plug, a hurt coil, a hurt valve, or a hurt piston.
OR all of the above.

How much boost were you putting in it?
Did you really not know which lower you were running, until after it got hurt?

I would not be able to sleep until I had closely inspected that plug.
Good luck with it.

Car sees about 16lbs maybe 17lbs and then drops to about 14or so at about 5k. Guy I made a trade with said it was a 4lb never put a measure to it. We pulled the plug and it looked old and whitish but I am unfamiliar with how e85 will effect the looks. Plugs are only 6 months old so fairly new.

It makes a spark with the coil but did not seem strong. They are gapped out the box and never had any issue with the gap before. I wondered since the spark was weak it have spark blow outat the higher Rpms? So I think the coil pack is working although that is the first time I have seen the spark from an actual engine and not a display.

I have gotten to the point where shit goes wrong (specially with my luck) so all I can do is trouble shoot and hope for the best. We put a scope on the piston and it looked good. I guess a bad valve could be a culprit. I read a thread or two about that.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
No metallic specs on the white porcelain?
Gap is still correct?
Pump the cylinder to see what you got. Compression test at minimum, leak down being preferred.
Were you able to get non-blurry photos of the plug and center electrode insulator?
Was it wet?
Pull the boost/vacuum line off the FRPS and see if there is fuel in it.
If there is no fuel in the line...while it is idling unplug the FRPS electrical connection.
Does anything change?
Do the same thing with the MAF.

You are going to want to know the health of that cylinder ultimately.
That's all I got for now.

Alb Cobra

Established Member
No metallic specs on the white porcelain?
Gap is still correct?
Pump the cylinder to see what you got. Compression test at minimum, leak down being preferred.
Were you able to get non-blurry photos of the plug and center electrode insulator?
Was it wet?
Pull the boost/vacuum line off the FRPS and see if there is fuel in it.
If there is no fuel in the line...while it is idling unplug the FRPS electrical connection.
Does anything change?
Do the same thing with the MAF.

You are going to want to know the health of that cylinder ultimately.
That's all I got for now.

Jimmy,

I run though this list tomorrow and see if thus will work. Thanks appreciate the info!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I surely hope the issue is minimal. I know if this were my car I'd have a lot of trouble sleeping until I at least knew what what wrong. Sucks when this happens. Keep us posted.

Alb Cobra

Established Member
They are tr6's swayed them out with new one not running as rough but still not normal. I can unplug the Frps an no change happens. Cleaned the Maf just in case I oiled the filter. I bought anew Frps and coil but was waiting to put those on cause I can't return them

Edit put the Frps in and new coil number 8 still not firing. It has some compression just have not hooked it up yet. Dropped the car off at the shop to go over some stuff I don't have the means to accomplish.

Last edited:

mrose75

Established Member
Man, that sucks. I'd be losing sleep, as well. I hope it's a quick, easy fix.

Alb Cobra

Established Member
Yeah I can't ponder over this two long...I have to have a clear mind these next 4 months. I have a pretty important test coming up in April. I am used to shit going wrong with my car. I'll find out what's wrong soon then I will try and figure out how I am going to fix it. I am already in the mind set of having to rebuild something.

Users who are viewing this thread