New countertops in kitchen...... Don't know which way to go!

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
So my wife and I have decided to do some different stuff with the interior of our house. She is in the middle of painting all the trim in the house white, along with doors, etc. I told her it would have been easier to go buy all new, but, she loves painting and insisted on doing all of what we have. Whatever, lol!

So, at this time we are also tearing out the carpet in both our living rooms, hallway, and going with wood floor looking ceramic tile throughout it all. At this time in the kitchen, I am going to be moving the refrigerator from its current spot since we are limited on the size of fridge we can put in its current spot, and to a different wall in the kitchen to help open things up a bit. I will be adding a new bottom cabinet to the area where the fridge will be moving from, along with a new top cabinet.

We have been wanting to do new countertops in the kitchen while we are at it, but just really unsure of what we want. We don't want to spend a TON on them. We currently have some very outdated blue laminate. I talked about going back with laminate in something that looks like granted, quartz, etc. We just want something that's going to last while we are in the house (another 6-8yrs I'm guessing) and hold up well!

I had also considered doing ceramic tile or stone on the countertops, but I don't know if I want to deal with the constant cleaning of grout/re-sealing if going that route. Back when I was still doing tile for a living, I remember doing a few for people. I loved the look of it, but just couldn't imagine the upkeep.

So...... Lets hear some opinions on what everyone has and how you like it. Here is a few pics of what we're dealing with. The cabinets in the kitchen will be getting painted white also.

OhioKitchen001_zpsb073ff2c.jpg

OhioKitchen004_zps952e0285.jpg

The freestanding pantry in the above picture will be getting removed, and the new stainless fridge will be positioned where the current pantry is to the right of the white fridge. The cabinet I am adding will take up the space where the current white fridge is. This will allow more countertop space in the long run, which we don't have a ton of.

Since these pictures were taken, I have already added a stainless over the range microwave, which helped with the crowded counter space!

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
If you don't want to spend a lot of money, go for some cheap level 1 (builder grade) granite. For that kitchen, it might be well under $1K in material.

allister

Established Member
I'm so distracted by the banana hammock. I'll do my best to comment.

We did something similar with our kitchen. We moved our fridge "out of the way" and added a base cabinet where it was which conveniently gave us more countertop space. We have the same cabinets above our fridge, and so we added a shelf there to close up the space some. We debated between adding just a shelf, or a full on wine bottle rack with stemware rack below, or replacing it all with a matching top cabinet. We went with the shelf to save money, but I think it will be better for resale potential as we can do anything with that shelf, including set bottles of wine on, recipe books, decor, etc.

I would only go with laminate if you aren't going to have any seams. In our kitchen that was built in '08 the original countertops were laminate. There was a seam where your microwave used to be, and over time it welted up because water seeped in.

I think Quartz would be an excellent investment for your kitchen. It's cheaper than granite, and some designs of it look almost identical to granite. Granite is nice for when you find a piece with a lot of character, so you may use it for an island (where quartz would look a little bland on an island) and then use it in the rest of the kitchen to match the island. Here your sink takes up a lot of space, you don't have a ton of free space, so I would definitely go with quartz or a glossy/high end laminate if you won't have seams.

What are you doing with the cabinets? Just keep in mind, if you plan on reselling 6-8 years, try to go with options that are more neutral and popular, less what your specific taste may be. Kitchens sell homes!

T56LS102

Established Member
I am also in the middle of remodeling my kitchen, I'll post pictures soon. I like the layout, you might want to consider getting an over the range microwave, it will free up some counter space.

nxhappy

Established Member
if you go with new countertops, you might as well do new cabinets and new appliances .

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I have seen some concrete counter tops that actually looked very nice. I am not sure how it compared in price though.

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
I have already done a stainless Whirlpool over the range microwave. My wife will be painting all the cabinets white, and eventually we'll be getting the new Fridge, range, and dishwasher. The tile we are going with is a darker wood floor looking ceramic. Its not dark dark, but darker.

I like the idea of instead of adding a new top wall cabinet where the fridge current is, put a shelf or wine rack of some sort in that space. Seems like a pretty cool idea! That in the end will be my wife's decision!

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Stained concrete would be my choice. Looks amazing and about as durable as you can ask for.

I'd be looking for something heat safe and bacteria proof(non-porous).

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm a big fan of quartz. We did Cambria brand through out our home.

:thumbsup: Good choice! We are in the process of re-doing our kitchen and went with quartz as well. We went back and forth with quartz vs. granite but our daughter sold us on the attributes of quartz. I like that it is pretty much impervious to stains since we went with a medium color. Also, we don't have to seal it like we would granite. Yes, it does cost more (we got multiple prices from installers) than granite, but worth it IMO.

Sirraf

Established Member
Veneer marble or granite is a good choice I think. I can't even tell the difference in most cases.

jconnor3

Established Member
laminate, HD laminate, solid surface, granite, marble, quartz. That's "typically" the order of cheapest to most expensive. Now, of course granite, marble and quartz all have their different levels, but generally that's the order. Yes level 5 or E granite is more than level 1 quartz but you get the idea.

When I priced out counters for my first flip 3 years ago, HD laminate was about the same price as the solid surface and on sale/level 1 granite so that was a really easy choice. The granite gets sealed when installed and depending on the sealant you're good for 5+ years. Marble...I wouldn't even consider it for a kitchen. Way to easy to stain. Quartz is the most maintenance free choice but again generally more expensive. Nothing wrong with the solid surface, it's a pretty good option, but it can scratch pretty easy and for no more space than you have the granite will have a bigger impact.

If I were you I would definitely go with granite knowing you have fairly small square footage. Like another said...probably under $1k pretty easy. You may even be able to squeak in a level 2/B grade granite for under $1k. If you wait until around holidays you can get better deals typically as well and stretch you dollar a little bit more. Do some price searching and I think you will be happily surprised.

Somebody mentioned concrete. Those can be very cool, but seems like a pain to DIY. Don't know, never done them, but when done right they look very nice and unique.

Just a side note, you would be amazing as what some updated hardware will do for you cabinets as well when you go to paint them. Really helps update them.

Last edited:

JBird_Cobra

Established Member
I hated the laminate countertops in my kitchen and I was planning on going with granite. I heard real good reviews about the counter paint kits and thought I'd give it a shot before handing over a lot of money. I had zero expectations but I'm extremely happy with it. Just thought I'd throw it out there as a cheap alternative for less than $100. It's been perfectly durable and I've had zero issue with it; plus nobody knows it's laminate now. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Giani-Gr...Countertop-Paint-Kit-FG-GI-Sicilain/203644684

Not my kitchen but the finished product is essentially the same:

photo_zpsvrxbvbqv.gif

photo%201_zpsknkgjas7.gif

D2Fresh16

Established Member
Parents just re did their kitchen. They went with Cambria Quartz counter tops. The quartz is stronger than granite and also does not have to be sealed. Our granite counter top in the bathroom wasn't sealed and went to crap really quickly.

Also other guys posted about appliances, they were some really good package deals on appliances from Home Depot a few months ago around the time of new years.. Might be something to look into.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
We just remodeled our kitchen too.

It started with changing our laminate to something nicer.

So, that turned into adding new cabinets to an empty space in our eat in kitchen, having a company paint all of the cabinets a matte white color, new stainless appliances, tile backsplash and finally we went with granite for our countertops. Then the flooring wasn't nice enough now that the kitchen was so nice. So we tore up the whole first floor and had hardwood put in, and have also painted the entire first floor.

It never ends lol.

wreckit

Established Member
You could always got the Concrete slab look!! Its becoming extremely popular and fairly inexpensive! You can find some pictures/videos on HGTV network. Property brothers have installed several and they all look phenomenal!
As others have mentioned, You should either refurbish or purchase new cabinets. it will completely change to look and feel of your home!

Users who are viewing this thread