New cell phone time

B-O-B'03

Established Member
So, AT&T tells me they no longer will be supporting my 2004 vintage Nokia 6820 (which was a pretty high end phone at the time) after May 15th.

I think it is more that they don't want to support my old AT&T - pre-Cingular plan any more.

So I have choices for carrier and phone.

I really don't want a smart phone, I just need something comparable to what I have now, I like the fact that it only needs charging once a week and it works well, as a phone.

What is out there and which service providers?

Thanks,

-Brian

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
good luck.. I just upgraded to the motorla Atrix, nice computer/smart phone but WOW does it go through the battery..

tnuce10

Established Member
My new Palm Pre 2 JUST arrived from FedEx, loved the first one so I'm going with the next one from Verizon

Fuzzy Logic

ʎʇıןɐǝɹ ɹnoʎ ʇɔǝɾǝɹ ן
Established Member
if you're planning on going to verizon, here's a feature phone which may work for you:

[youtube_browser]L9ZWNdfIrvE[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]qWbv0xwQekM[/youtube_browser]

has a qwerty keyboard like the 6820 and i don't think makes you get a smart phone data plan to use it. there are others, that's just off the top of my head.

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
good luck.. I just upgraded to the motorla Atrix, nice computer/smart phone but WOW does it go through the battery..

Send it back, they seem to have a bad batch that do. On a whole it seems the Atrix might have the best battery life of any of the high end Android phones out right now.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
So, AT&T tells me they no longer will be supporting my 2004 vintage Nokia 6820 (which was a pretty high end phone at the time) after May 15th.

I think it is more that they don't want to support my old AT&T - pre-Cingular plan any more.

So I have choices for carrier and phone.

I really don't want a smart phone, I just need something comparable to what I have now, I like the fact that it only needs charging once a week and it works well, as a phone.

What is out there and which service providers?

Thanks,

-Brian

I recently got the HTC Inspire...love it, but if you don't want a smart phone, there is very little out there for you to choose from.

I think it is odd ATT won't grandfather in your current plan. I've had my Cingular plan since 2003 and I've gone thru many phones but I still have my original plan. So they're not supporting your phone, but that shouldn't effect the plan.

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
I'd recommend taking a look at the Walmart straight talk plan. They are using Verizon towers, and while they don't have the "newest" type phones, its hard to beat 25 bucks a month-- 1000minutes, 1000 texts and 200mb download on internet.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
^^^^ This! My buddy has one and he goes all over with it and never seems to have a problem. Thats the way I need to go in a year or so.

OP Good luck. I was in the exact same boat around here about 4 years ago and that was why I went to Verizon. AT&T sucks around here very bad. I have an older Nokia phone I keep for when I am travelling out of the normal cell coverage. It picks up great and all. Verizon hounds me constantly trying to get me to give it up, just as AT&T did. But nope and hopefully they don't force me to.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd recommend taking a look at the Walmart straight talk plan. They are using Verizon towers, and while they don't have the "newest" type phones, its hard to beat 25 bucks a month-- 1000minutes, 1000 texts and 200mb download on internet.

Wow, that IS a great deal for those who don't want a smart phone. Definitely worth looking into.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
I recently got the HTC Inspire...love it, but if you don't want a smart phone, there is very little out there for you to choose from.

I think it is odd ATT won't grandfather in your current plan. I've had my Cingular plan since 2003 and I've gone thru many phones but I still have my original plan. So they're not supporting your phone, but that shouldn't effect the plan.

I think the problem is the fact that I am on the old AT&T plan, before the Cingular merger. When they merged, they went to Cingular and dropped AT&T.

Thanks for the suggestions all... I just might get dragged ito the 21st century, kicking and screaming :shrug:

I wonder if I could just take what ever POS cheapie AT&T gives me, get my 6820 unlocked and put the sim card the new phone comes with in it?

The phone is a tri-band GSM.

-Brian

B-O-B'03

Established Member

Damn, should have read all of the posts and used multi-quote :bash:

I think Verizon and Sprint are both CDMA and I am not sure how well that works outside of the USA? otherwise straight talk sounds pretty good, might have to find out more, thanks!

-Brian

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
Was also thinking motorola atrix for my next phone.

How bad is the battery life??

As I said, it looks like there may have been a bad batch of batteries sent out because some people are getting terrible (like 4 to 5 hours with minimal use) while others are getting 24-40 with heavy use. Even though aOS isn't fully optimized to run on dual cores yet, it seems that the dual core design is already saving battery.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Oh no advanced phone will go a week between charges.

Even dumb phones don't do it anymore. Any 3G voice/data phone will eat batteries.

Users who are viewing this thread