New Boss setup!

Elwood617

Established Member
Not sure what the Da was, i'm not really a serious 1/4 guy, i just go for fun. 60 ft was consistant 2.1 - 2.2's

i have 2 big turbo mazdaspeed3's im tuning that run mid 13's on street tires but hand me my ass on the street. Not to say i'm a huge street racer, but performance at the 1/4 and performance on the street are not synonymous. I stomped the shit out of an auto 5.0 with long tubes and 4.10's the other night, and it probably would have been the exact opposite scenario at the strip. I will say it again, maybe a little slower this time, This. Car. Is. Not. Set up. For. The. 1/4. It is a street car. Maybe once i get a little more comfortable with the car some better time slips will come from it, but you cant expect miracles my 1st and 2nd time ever taking this car to the track. Other people are proving the CJ's worth with different tires and gearing, more power to them, thats not something i feel i need to do.

i still find it hard to believe the 90 gives people grief when my monoblade behaves so well... must just be the way it flows or something. Who knows.

Don't sweat the people who don't read :)
It's hard to match the instant torque if a turbo car when they are in boost, at least with an N/A car :)
I have to wonder why Ford didn't use the FRPP 90mm tb on the new CJ race car? It'd be nice to have some solid info. All we have right now is tuning issues with the 90 tb, and people putting in some great runs with the CJ manifold and mono blade combo.

Last edited:

04compgt

Established Member
Not sure what the Da was, i'm not really a serious 1/4 guy, i just go for fun. 60 ft was consistant 2.1 - 2.2's

i have 2 big turbo mazdaspeed3's im tuning that run mid 13's on street tires but hand me my ass on the street. Not to say i'm a huge street racer, but performance at the 1/4 and performance on the street are not synonymous. I stomped the shit out of an auto 5.0 with long tubes and 4.10's the other night, and it probably would have been the exact opposite scenario at the strip. I will say it again, maybe a little slower this time, This. Car. Is. Not. Set up. For. The. 1/4. It is a street car. Maybe once i get a little more comfortable with the car some better time slips will come from it, but you cant expect miracles my 1st and 2nd time ever taking this car to the track. Other people are proving the CJ's worth with different tires and gearing, more power to them, thats not something i feel i need to do.

i still find it hard to believe the 90 gives people grief when my monoblade behaves so well... must just be the way it flows or something. Who knows.

The reason the 90 does not drive well is because FRPP has not released any calibration info for the throttle body to tuners. You can get them to work a little better but not 100%. The monoblade has the same characteristics as the throttle body on a roush, tuners have that data to start off with. As a tuner you are only as good as the data available.

Elwood617

Established Member
The reason the 90 does not drive well is because FRPP has not released any calibration info for the throttle body to tuners. You can get them to work a little better but not 100%. The monoblade has the same characteristics as the throttle body on a roush, tuners have that data to start off with. As a tuner you are only as good as the data available.

Now that makes sense, didn't even think about that.

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
04compgt is Sai and he tuned my ride...He also told me not to get 90 and go with Accufab 84.5 when I asked him...

Voltwings

Established Member

It may be different on this platofrm, but isnt it essentially just load scalaing? On the mazdaspeed3, our factory TB is 60mm, and we adapted a 75mm TB to work. We basically just scaled our DBW and load tables to accept the new air flow and load targets, play around with the applied pedal position tables and bam, you pretty much have it... It doesnt really concern me at this point, but i'd like to think its pretty much the same principle here, just no one wants to put in the leg work it seems.

Cant say i really blame them however, MSF is a very grassroots community, so almost everything got done through the forums. 25 test throttle bodies were sent out to people to play with the tuning, and we all came back and posted our tables and eventually got them to behave pretty well, but it still took a LOT of time and effort. Something someone who does this for a living is not going to be in any big hurry to share it seems... such is the nature of this platform.

Speedwagon

Established Member
Installed the Boss IM with ported inlet this weekend! Thanks to Sai Li and his clean install I think she's looking really good...Did a little street tuning after to make sure cam timing was on point to keep the mid range power! Really is amazing how it pulls to the moon now...WOT from 4k rpm's feels like it pulls for days to 7,700 and I'm 3.73 geared.....I got the Boss-specific CAI elbow from Steeda also so everything fit real nice...

:rockon:

10338708_10104535895141623_129332402066036768_n.jpg

I have the exact pony you do and was wodering if you lost any low end toruque? I was thinking about the 302 IM but they say its a waste of money if your not taking it to the track. Most of the gains are above 4K. Is that true? Is your pony running any better?

Elwood617

Established Member
It may be different on this platofrm, but isnt it essentially just load scalaing? On the mazdaspeed3, our factory TB is 60mm, and we adapted a 75mm TB to work. We basically just scaled our DBW and load tables to accept the new air flow and load targets, play around with the applied pedal position tables and bam, you pretty much have it... It doesnt really concern me at this point, but i'd like to think its pretty much the same principle here, just no one wants to put in the leg work it seems.

Cant say i really blame them however, MSF is a very grassroots community, so almost everything got done through the forums. 25 test throttle bodies were sent out to people to play with the tuning, and we all came back and posted our tables and eventually got them to behave pretty well, but it still took a LOT of time and effort. Something someone who does this for a living is not going to be in any big hurry to share it seems... such is the nature of this platform.

Yeah, this is not really a community like MSF. Just a bunch of interested individuals who try to share information.

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
Speedwagon...Low end torque is a little less than with stock manifold, but the high end power that carries through to 7700+ rpm's make up for that. You do have to use a good tuner to get the most of the rev range or I'm sure you really could lose a LOT of low end if they don't know what they're doing....

04compgt

Established Member

It's a little more complicated in this platform. I bet I could make one work I'm just not interested since I don't have an interest to hog out a manifold to 90mm. Plenty of power could be made with stock throttle body.

69camaro...

Established Member
11' full kooks exhaust, jlt intake, tune when i raced him. Now im on e85 so i want a rematch. Havent been to track yet, need to find some tall slicks to borrow

Elwood617

Established Member
11' full kooks exhaust, jlt intake, tune when i raced him. Now im on e85 so i want a rematch. Havent been to track yet, need to find some tall slicks to borrow

Just curious, because none of the stock manifold cars where I live could match my times. This was when I was more stock that I am now.
I was beating a tuned, full exhaust, CAI, stock manifold car with my CAI, Boss im, and muffler deletes but other wise stock exhaust. The ability to make power for a longer period of time and not shift to fifth in the quarter is hard to beat.
Hell, I haven't taken my car to a dyno in a long time, I tune it at the track. These intakes are made for racing, and that is where they shine.

69camaro...

Established Member
You were beating them at the track in times correct? Driver experience will most likely play a large roll considering you are shifting a lot more like you said. I think a JPC tuned car was breaking into 10's on stock manifold

69camaro...

Established Member
I can cross the traps in 4th @ 7089 RPM on a 28inch true tall tire with 3.73 at 120 trap.
Or 7200 RPM at 122 trap. Little high for the stocker, but not anything close to limiter that id have to hit 5th

Elwood617

Established Member
You were beating them at the track in times correct? Driver experience will most likely play a large roll considering you are shifting a lot more like you said. I think a JPC tuned car was breaking into 10's on stock manifold

I can cross the traps in 4th @ 7089 RPM on a 28inch true tall tire with 3.73 at 120 trap.
Or 7200 RPM at 122 trap. Little high for the stocker, but not anything close to limiter that id have to hit 5th

I was beating them in Et and trap. What is your et? The stock manifold starts to fall off at 6500, so it's interesting that you're choosing to run it out.
I'll look into the JPC car. But, I thought they switched out to the stock manifold with the turbo car.
I found JPCs Coyote stock car running 10s n/a with the stock manifold.

Last edited:

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
There's guys on here running low 11's at high 1 teens and 120 mph traps on stock manifold...1 of them here locally in Tampa did on stock manifold with stock intake and catless X through stock catback on 18" DR's.

Users who are viewing this thread