New Boss setup!

04compgt

Established Member
To be 100% honest I think the boss intake works great is a proven intake and does exactly as described, extends power range pass 7000 and carries it to 8100. The CJ intake seems like a great intake the price tag is a little steep especially to only pickup a tenth or two over the boss. I personally have been 11.0 @ 124 on the Boss in hot Florida weather with weight reduction being big and littles, spare tire removed and passenger seat removed with E85 and 10.20 @ 135 on a 100 shot. With that being said I don't think the CJ intake is the end all be all, the stock, Boss and CJ intake manifold have produced very similar times all within a tenth of each other. At the end of the day is all in your suspension working, car hooking and driving, these cars make the power regardless.

Justin81

Established Member
Also, one thing a buddy and i noticed is you can't pull straight down to go into 4th, you almost have to pull it a hair to the right. I have a ball shifter and normally grasp it with my pinky downwards towards the transmission tunnel and my palm towards me if that makes sense. The only time that grip changes is when I'm shifting into 4th, i'll actually flip my palm to the other side, so my pinky is up and it naturally gives it a little bump to the right when i pull down for 4th and it goes in every time. Just pulling straight down with the first grip is usually hit or miss for 4th.

Thanks for the info. Would you be willing to tell me or PM me what kind of times you get with your set up. You have 3.31's and a CJ IM. do you ever feel like the car is begging for a gear swap?

Voltwings

Established Member
Thanks for the info. Would you be willing to tell me or PM me what kind of times you get with your set up. You have 3.31's and a CJ IM. do you ever feel like the car is begging for a gear swap?

At the 1/4 it is. Either I am consistently bad at launching, or 12.8 at 115 is all its got (full weight / street tires), I have about 6 slips from 2 outings to the track with that Et / trap speed. I have a feeling if I really got ballsy with the launch I could probably squeak a 12.5 out and maybe another mph or two, but I really have no idea. On the street however, I wouldn't change my 3.31's for anything, be it daily driving or doing pulls.

I am slightly disappointed with the 1/4 performance, but seeing as how the car is in no way set up to be a 1/4 car I'm not too worried about it. I run street tires and full weight every day on the street, if you bump into me, that's how my car is going to run. Doesn't really make sense to gut it and put tires on just for the track... I say that now lol, we'll see how the summer goes.

Justin81

Established Member
^ I'm not understanding. You have Cj intake, headers, AED tune and more. How could your car run 12.50's?

Voltwings

Established Member
I'm on street tires. Pussy foot the launch to not spin, or launch hard and spin, 1/2 - 1 second goes by a lot quicker than you think. Aside from the gear and tires, I've already admitted its a driver mod issue. Car isn't purpose built for the 1/4, it just is what it is.

69camaro...

Established Member
Coming from my situation, i can keep up with full bolt on CJ cars on e85 with my stock intake. Utilize your torque with good gearing and CJ/Boss are only for dyno numbers. Im M6 on 3.73 as well

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
I'm on street tires. Pussy foot the launch to not spin, or launch hard and spin, 1/2 - 1 second goes by a lot quicker than you think. Aside from the gear and tires, I've already admitted its a driver mod issue. Car isn't purpose built for the 1/4, it just is what it is.

What was your DA and 60'?

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
No offense volt but you can't tout the CJ manifold setup that's on your car and then tell us how you run high 12's at 115mph...CAI only cars with a tune on stock everything run the same or better...

Baysixx

Established Member
I had the boss im and it was an amazing piece. It looked nice and pulled hard. I made 432/390 SAE with it. 414/400 with my stock. I plan on going with the boss again because i have a NO plate kit. If i was NA i think its safe to say the CJ is by far superior to the boss. It shouldnt even be an argument. there is not one thread of a boss making more power than a cj on the same car. I like the boss tho because it only cost me $350 total installed and I could reuse my stock intake

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
No offense volt but you can't tout the CJ manifold setup that's on your car and then tell us how you run high 12's at 115mph...CAI only cars with a tune on stock everything run the same or better...

Yeah, Something with holding rpms momentarily while the clutch is pushed in. As for the mileage, yeah my car only get's driven to be beat on. It's been treated pretty rough.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Before I can say the CJ is better then the boss, I have to see a max effort boss intake setup. Can't just go from a boss intake (untouched) stock throttle body and a cai, to a CJ, monoblade, and 5" intake and compare it apples to apples.

Realistically, a port matched boss intake to 90mm, a 90mm throttle body (also cleaned up since it flows alittle less cfm then accufab a 84.5mm TB) and a 4.5" intake. I keep saying this but THIS would be an apples to apples comparison. Both are efficient, maxed out, and priced probably identical.

Unfortunately for us, not a lot of tuners that are willing to tune a 90mm TB (respectfully so) since they cause drivability issues. And nor are people really trying this. I was VERY close to doing so. But since I couldn't get Shaun on board to tune the 90mm, I lost interest. I was talking to Drew (01bluesnake) about making a 4.5" intake, and just about to buy the 90mm TB. But, since Shaun (obviously knows what he's doing) wasn't willing to do it, it turned me off. I don't want to go to some other tuner that I probably won't be happy with, and have drivability issues.

Only thing I'm wondering, is HPTuners making it easy to tune these drive by wire TB's? Im thinking about buying it, just so I can play with the VCT and maximize it. If i was able to adjust the TB bs maybe it's something I'll do.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
Well the Boss mani is a good cheap option for you then...I honestly think the SCJ price with CAI and SCJ TB is ridiculous and haven't seen proof that it's worth it yet...I haven't seen a great comparison of Boss vs SCJ manifold on the same car with same mods and max effort NA tuning on pump gas either...
I tend to agree with you. I went back and forth trying to decide if I should dump the coin on a CJ set-up. If I didn't already have a Boss, I might have, but after seeing the threads pop about how getting more air (4-5" CAI + Mono-blade TB) into the intake seemed to be the key to the CJ making more power over the Boss, it got me thinking, why not get more air into the Boss and see what happens. Im a realist and know that a max-effort Boss will not make as much power as a properly done CJ set-up, but if I could get it damn close without spending any money, why not try it first and give us guys who already have a Boss an alternative…..So I modified my JLT intake (cut out the narrow section, and replaced it with a 4" 60 degree elbow), added an Accufab TB, port matched, smoothed, and removed the fins on the manifold inlet. I also filled the casting gaps inside the inlet. I slightly ported and cleaned up the inlet runners also.
I was actually able to get the car out yesterday for a test on a Bama tune. I didn't hammer on the car because I don't trust the tune I have, but the throttle response was great, and I could tell it wants to run high RPM's. I'm going to have Shaun work his magic. I will hopefully have a base tune from him today or tomorrow.

IMG_1393_zpsbd27a540.jpg

Elwood617

Established Member
I tend to agree with you. I went back and forth trying to decide if I should dump the coin on a CJ set-up. If I didn't already have a Boss, I might have, but after seeing the threads pop about how getting more air (4-5" CAI + Mono-blade TB) into the intake seemed to be the key to the CJ making more power over the Boss, it got me thinking, why not get more air into the Boss and see what happens. Im a realist and know that a max-effort Boss will not make as much power as a properly done CJ set-up, but if I could get it damn close without spending any money, why not try it first and give us guys who already have a Boss an alternative…..So I modified my JLT intake (cut out the narrow section, and replaced it with a 4" 60 degree elbow), added an Accufab TB, port matched, smoothed, and removed the fins on the manifold inlet. I also filled the casting gaps inside the inlet. I slightly ported and cleaned up the inlet runners also.
I was actually able to get the car out yesterday for a test on a Bama tune. I didn't hammer on the car because I don't trust the tune I have, but the throttle response was great, and I could tell it wants to run high RPM's. I'm going to have Shaun work his magic. I will hopefully have a base tune from him today or tomorrow.

Sweet, the only thing I don't have is the throttle body. So, I'm interested in your results.

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
Sweet, the only thing I don't have is the throttle body. So, I'm interested in your results.
Even though I'm not properly tuned yet, I can already tell you not to be afraid of the Accufab. I know there was and has been a lot of talk about tuning issues with larger TB's. I can't speak for the BBK 90's, but at least with this 84.5 mm, its very smooth, and I can detect no problems with throttle response or part throttle operation…..and thats on a Bama tune. I'm sure it will be an absolute non-issue with a better tune through AED.

SCalla1384

Established Member

IMG_1393_zpsbd27a540.jpg

Definitely interested to see your results! Plan on going to the Dyno and/or track?

SCalla1384

Established Member
Even though I'm not properly tuned yet, I can already tell you not to be afraid of the Accufab. I know there was and has been a lot of talk about tuning issues with larger TB's. I can't speak for the BBK 90's, but at least with this 84.5 mm, its very smooth, and I can detect no problems with throttle response or part throttle operation…..and thats on a Bama tune. I'm sure it will be an absolute non-issue with a better tune through AED.

From my understanding, tuning the 84.5mm is easy. The 90mm FRPP/BBK is what causes drivability issues.

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
From my understanding, tuning the 84.5mm is easy. The 90mm FRPP/BBK is what causes drivability issues.

Yup…and thats why I choose the Accufab over the BBK. Plus, if you followed my thread "Those with a 90mm TB Come in", the only way I would have gone with the 90mm was if I could have safely opened up the Boss inlet to match…..The closer I looked at it and the material inside the Boss inlet, the more I saw huge issues taking roughly 6mm out of it. Opening up the front of the inlet is cake, and I'm confident that a paper gasket would have been fine for a non-FI application, but the problem lies inside the inlet where the top and bottom pieces are cast together. It would have been a nightmare to take that much material out and get it smoothed (with limited space to work) to the point where it would help performance instead of hurt it.
With the Accufab, I only had to remove the fins and take a millimeter out of the inlet. I was also able to fill and sand the casting gaps inside as well…..When I compared the 2 options, it was pretty clear what the right thing to do was……Not to mention the tuning issues with the 90mm like you mentioned.

Voltwings

Established Member
What was your DA and 60'?

Not sure what the Da was, i'm not really a serious 1/4 guy, i just go for fun. 60 ft was consistant 2.1 - 2.2's

i have 2 big turbo mazdaspeed3's im tuning that run mid 13's on street tires but hand me my ass on the street. Not to say i'm a huge street racer, but performance at the 1/4 and performance on the street are not synonymous. I stomped the shit out of an auto 5.0 with long tubes and 4.10's the other night, and it probably would have been the exact opposite scenario at the strip. I will say it again, maybe a little slower this time, This. Car. Is. Not. Set up. For. The. 1/4. It is a street car. Maybe once i get a little more comfortable with the car some better time slips will come from it, but you cant expect miracles my 1st and 2nd time ever taking this car to the track. Other people are proving the CJ's worth with different tires and gearing, more power to them, thats not something i feel i need to do.

i still find it hard to believe the 90 gives people grief when my monoblade behaves so well... must just be the way it flows or something. Who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread