New Boss setup!

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
Installed the Boss IM with ported inlet this weekend! Thanks to Sai Li and his clean install I think she's looking really good...Did a little street tuning after to make sure cam timing was on point to keep the mid range power! Really is amazing how it pulls to the moon now...WOT from 4k rpm's feels like it pulls for days to 7,700 and I'm 3.73 geared.....I got the Boss-specific CAI elbow from Steeda also so everything fit real nice...

:rockon:

10338708_10104535895141623_129332402066036768_n.jpg

mattadams6552

Established Member
Nice! i would like to see a comparison of the ported boss with a accufab throttlebody against a ported cobra jet with monoblade. I guess a 1/4 drag would be a great comparison. Just to see if the Cobra Jet is worth the extra cash.

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
Nice! i would like to see a comparison of the ported boss with a accufab throttlebody against a ported cobra jet with monoblade. I guess a 1/4 drag would be a great comparison. Just to see if the Cobra Jet is worth the extra cash.

Would be interesting...Mine is just the inlet though...Nothing else touched. Certainly feels stronger up top than the stock intake.

Justin81

Established Member
Hope this isn't a hijack. I'm having the issue where I'm at the top of 3rd at the 1000ft. I have to shift into 4th and I know it's killing me. Especially since the car doesn't seem to want to shift into 4th over 6800.

I'm considering doing a Boss intake (yours looks great btw) to gain some more top end to run another 320 feet in 3rd. Do you think this manifold has to be ran with 3.73's? I have the feeling between the manifold, 373's and crossing in 3rd my car could be a few strong tenth's quicker.

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
Hope this isn't a hijack. I'm having the issue where I'm at the top of 3rd at the 1000ft. I have to shift into 4th and I know it's killing me. Especially since the car doesn't seem to want to shift into 4th over 6800.

I'm considering doing a Boss intake (yours looks great btw) to gain some more top end to run another 320 feet in 3rd. Do you think this manifold has to be ran with 3.73's? I have the feeling between the manifold, 373's and crossing in 3rd my car could be a few strong tenth's quicker.

Just from my little bit of driving from yesterday and today I'd say you wouldn't want anything less than 3.73's with a Boss manifold...3.31's or 3.55's would probably feel a little sluggish. The extended RPM's would probably help you carry out that gear though or real close. I know there's people that push the limits and shift even higher than 7,700 with BOSS IM and stock Coyote...

Justin81

Established Member
Awesome, thanks for the info. With your 3.73's does the car feel like you're over geared and always shifting in normal daily driving situations?

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member

If someone near me with a CJ Set-up would like to have a go, I'm down…

Modified JLT CAI (True 4"+) with 84.5 Accufab bolted to a ported Boss.

IMG_1197_zpsc6562a18.gif

IMG_1196_zpsb0a2e5cb.gif

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
No offense to you guys but, A CJ setup is going to Doo Doo on a boss setup 9 days a week. It's proven with both loads of dyno results as well as track results. No doubt the Boss 302 setup looks beautiful! and certainly had it's place but it makes much more power and sacrifices nothing to boot. I don't in anyway regret my move from the Boss 302 to Cobrajet Setup. it's been AWESOME!

Voltwings

Established Member
I have a buddy with a fully bolted Boss (shorty headers for future turbo plans), 90mm throttle body, Air raid Cai and catless X. He and i are door to door with my CJ set up, Kooks shortys, lethal catless H pipe mid gear, its not until he has to shift and i get to hold my 3.31's out a bit longer that i actually put any sort of length on him, and even then its only about 1/2 - 3/4 of a car. Granted the Boss is a superior engine to the GT, and i know he's shifting around 8k whereas im shifting around 7500 give or take, it would be interesting to see how i stack up against a Boss equipped GT.

Justin81

Established Member
No offense to you guys but, A CJ setup is going to Doo Doo on a boss setup 9 days a week. It's proven with both loads of dyno results as well as track results. No doubt the Boss 302 setup looks beautiful! and certainly had it's place but it makes much more power and sacrifices nothing to boot. I don't in anyway regret my move from the Boss 302 to Cobrajet Setup. it's been AWESOME!

Interesting. In your opinion does the CJ intake have better bottom end and street manors than the Boss? What gears are you running and if I went CJ, can I still pull the motor to 7000 or is it required to pull it past that like 7500+

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Interesting. In your opinion does the CJ intake have better bottom end and street manors than the Boss? What gears are you running and if I went CJ, can I still pull the motor to 7000 or is it required to pull it past that like 7500+

from what I have heard, the CJ does not sacrifice as much power under the curve as the Boss and delivers more in the process...

Voltwings

Established Member
it does lose bottom end compared to the stock manifold, but honestly the car is still pretty smooth and responsive, so i dont really miss it... even with 3.31's

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Last edited:

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
There's definitely some loss of low end, but the mid and upper RPM's seriously pull hard with the Boss and some tuning adjustments. I want to put it on the dyno and see if I picked up anything from my last best pull of 416whp with the stock manifold...

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
There's definitely some loss of low end, but the mid and upper RPM's seriously pull hard with the Boss and some tuning adjustments. I want to put it on the dyno and see if I picked up anything from my last best pull of 416whp with the stock manifold...

I wouldn't mind picking up power in midrange/up top, with 3.73s I don't get to really enjoy the low end anyways...

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
I wouldn't mind picking up power in midrange/up top, with 3.73s I don't get to really enjoy the low end anyways...

Well the Boss mani is a good cheap option for you then...I honestly think the SCJ price with CAI and SCJ TB is ridiculous and haven't seen proof that it's worth it yet...I haven't seen a great comparison of Boss vs SCJ manifold on the same car with same mods and max effort NA tuning on pump gas either...

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member

I've had both intakes. To be honest, the boss didn't feel like it lost that much torque, thanks to AED's magic. The cobrajet IM. Is by far better down low and up top. This is with 3.31s might I add.

Just for sake of comparison, I'll reference my most recent real world encounter a 60 roll with a GEN 3 viper. Which in case ya'll aren't aware are a 535 ftlb v10. I was on 3rd roughly 4k rpm, and stayed dead nuts even with the viper till I hit about 5500+ RPM(then started walking). No way less torque than stock does that to a car with that amount of torque advantage.

As far as drivability... The cars is mellower and smoother than it ever has been and I'm loving it!

As for shifting at 7k if that's what you want keep the stock intake. The CJ runners are tuned for 7750 rpm. I run it as far as 8k at times. Never shift under 7800. Car loves it!

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Well the Boss mani is a good cheap option for you then...I honestly think the SCJ price with CAI and SCJ TB is ridiculous and haven't seen proof that it's worth it yet...I haven't seen a great comparison of Boss vs SCJ manifold on the same car with same mods and max effort NA tuning on pump gas either...

You've Not searched very hard then. Drew and 86 Merc. Unported CJ saw 17 peak hp and 12 peak trq with +20 torque the through the curve compared to the boss. Ported was even better. Plenty of cars hitting 10.9-11.1 with 121+ traps. Show me a N/A boss intake car doing that.

I've yet to see a CJ setup makes less than 445 hp SAE and smokegreyhatch saw as much as 482 SAE with FTW Purple. Before cold air intakes were even available.

The CJ is deff proven by more than one sample. Adams car at rev auto saw exactly 20 hp to the wheels going to the CJ setup. On a N/A (cams)car that was already making 500 whp. That's astonishing!!

Users who are viewing this thread