New Amsoil filter issue..

Badlilstang

Established Member
I have been using Amsoil for the past 3 or 4 oil changes on this car and for 8 or so years on my RAM. Just got my fresh order of oil and filter in today and and found this in one of their filters inside the sealed plastic. Looks almost like dried up glue or filter pieces. It's a good amount floating around in there. Anyone else run into this before? My last filters were perfect and honestly had a much better finish on the inside than this one.

IMG_2512_zpso1g4eyxu.jpg

IMG_2513_zps10l8axrr.jpg

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Never had that issue at all. Just call Amsoil and request a replacement after describing the issue. Curious: I thought the Mustang V8's use EaO11. What engine do you have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Badlilstang

Established Member
Never had that issue at all. Just call Amsoil and request a replacement after describing the issue. Curious: I thought the Mustang V8's use EaO11. What engine do you have?

Per Amsoil the EA017-EA is the correct filter for the 5.0

Ea011 is for the 4.6L

Ohio Snake

Established Member

Ea011 is for the 4.6L

I didn't knew the Coyote motor uses the 17. The 5.4, 4.6 and older 5.0 use the 11. I have the 5.4 which also can use the 48. Good to know.

Now I'm curious what the difference is on the 17 and 11.

vortecd

Established Member
I have been using the EAO17 for years since that is what they say to use for the coyote motor

Let Amsoil know what you received so they can correct it.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
what makes these better than the motorcraft ones.

The EaO filters captures smaller micron particulates better than Motorcraft ( and most other) filters and can match the extended oil change schedule than the paper media counterparts. If your changing your oil every 3k to 5k, the change schedule has no bearing.

Badlilstang

Established Member
Nothing, depending on intervals. $$$

Amsoil is 98.7% efficiency @ 20m
Motorcraft is 80% efficiency @ 20m

I wonder if its the cellulose vs the synthetic that makes the Amsoil filter better. I read some interesting stuff an engineer wrote and his belief was the Amsoil EA filters are the best available. He listed a few others he really liked and if I recall Wix and Mobile 1 were on his list of favorites. Now running Motorcraft vs Amsoil would we ever really see a difference? Who knows.. but I'm not so cheap that I won't pay extra for some added protection.

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

I wonder if its the cellulose vs the synthetic that makes the Amsoil filter better. I read some interesting stuff an engineer wrote and his belief was the Amsoil EA filters are the best available. He listed a few others he really liked and if I recall Wix and Mobile 1 were on his list of favorites. Now running Motorcraft vs Amsoil would we ever really see a difference? Who knows.. but I'm not so cheap that I won't pay extra for some added protection.

I'm sure they're great filters, but I currently own two fords, one has 125K and the other 95. They have both run the 820 since new. That's all.

Badlilstang

Established Member
I'm sure they're great filters, but I currently own two fords, one has 125K and the other 95. They have both run the 820 since new. That's all.

I understand but you said there is no difference and that isn't true. Motors have been going 100K+ mile long before filters were even as good as the motorcraft. Technology advances and I don't mind taking advantage of a better filter.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?787413-Official-UOA-thread-with-oil-poll

"Amsoil EaO11 oil filter - 98.7% efficiency @ 20 microns, yet still flow better than a Motorcraft FL-820 (only 93.7% efficiency @ 20 microns)." Different reading than teh last one but not sure if they were comparing the same filters either. Either way the Amsoil out flows and out filters the motorcraft.

JDos1

Established Member
Call Amsoil, I'd be willing to bet they'd replace that filter without issues. This is a rarity and likely slipped through QC at the plant. Looks like the glue that holds the ends of the filter media together IMO.

This.

If your Mustang has track pack or an oil cooler, the EA011 fits the cooler base better, the EA011 also has a higher flow rating and filter capacity. Without the oil cooler I couldn't tell you how well it fits. I do know the gasket fits the base but the canister edge may overhang, which won't affect anything. I've sold dozens of EA011's to guys without oil coolers. I personally run EA017's.

Ea011 is for the 4.6L
See above, you can also use the EA011 on the Coyote, regardless of whether or not you have an oil cooler.

I didn't knew the Coyote motor uses the 17. The 5.4, 4.6 and older 5.0 use the 11. I have the 5.4 which also can use the 48. Good to know.

Now I'm curious what the difference is on the 17 and 11.

See above. I answered both your questions.

I have been using the EAO17 for years since that is what they say to use for the coyote motor

Let Amsoil know what you received so they can correct it.

what makes these better than the motorcraft ones.
Finer synethetic filtration media which in turn means the filter can withstand the 15k mile oil change intervals. These filters are rated at 25k miles but I'd never run one that long personally. At 15k mile intervals, Signature Series usually have a TBN of 3-3.5. Most you could possibly get out of Signature Series is 18k miles per change. I personally use a 15k mile interval however.

It is the difference in filtration media. Wix manufactures the EA series filter but the EA filter and Wix's premium filters are not the same. Wix filters are outstanding filters though. If I ran a 10K mile or less interval, Wix is what would be going on the car.

You probably also don't run 10k+ mile change intervals, correct? If you're running extended intervals, you want the added filtration capabilities of the EA series filters. Otherwise you're doing just fine. 143k miles on my 2011 Coyote running Signature Series oil and EA017 filters for 13-15k mile intervals. My UOA's come back beautiful everytime. You can view them in the "official coyote UOA" thread, I'm the main contributor.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread