New 5.0 DOHC GT to have 425hp?

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
The Mustang GT will not cost $40,000, Ford is not stupid. The Mustang is the #1 selling sports car, they aren't going to price it out of it's market segment. There could however be a model in-between the GT500 and GT, which I hope doesn't end up being the case.

As for the crash standards, that may or may not happen for the 2011 Mustangs..

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/staticfile...es/Associated Files/Roof_Crush_Final_Rule.pdf

Phase-in will begin in 2012 and all cars must be complaint by September 2015.

Ford might not do anything until the Mustang is on a completely different platform 3-4 years from now.

Also, if the GT500 gets an aluminum block it's going to make a difference whether that weight gets added somewhere else or not. With a 100lbs off the front end the car is going to be more balanced; it will hook harder and handle better.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
All I was stating is that the increased crash standards will in all likelihood offset most, if not all of the AL block savings, which will still keep the 500 in the ~3900# range. A 425hp (or 460hp actual per the first post) @ 3500# would make it a very close race. The C5 Z has a worse p/w ratio than the 500, but somehow manages to beat it.

Now, we can continue to speculate that the GT will have 450hp and the GT500 will gain 150hp and lose 600#, but it's not going to do any good.

No way the GT gets 425+. Maybe a SE Boss or something, but not the regular GT.

Agree with you there. As for the C5Z thats new to me. The C5Z and the 03-04 Cobra is a pretty close race with the advantage going to the C5Z. But for the new 2010 GT 500 being out done by C5Z? In the corners for sure but 1/4 mile?

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Update on the rumored 2012 crash standard. Yes, the new camaro and challenger meet them and the mustang does not. This does not mean the stang must meet them by 2012. It just means the new standards go into effect then. They have until 2016 before it's mandatory. I'm sure they'll redesign before then.

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Agree with you there. As for the C5Z thats new to me. The C5Z and the 03-04 Cobra is a pretty close race with the advantage going to the C5Z. But for the new 2010 GT 500 being out done by C5Z? In the corners for sure but 1/4 mile?

To be honest, when equally driven, a C5Z will spank a 03/04 cobra and is door to door with the 2010 GT500.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
The 5.0 4v V8 in the Lexus IS-F is well over 400hp, why wouldn't the 5.0 4v V8 in the 2011 GT be capable of same.

I've been hearing direct injection rumors as well, if that's the case even with higher compression it could still be boost friendly.
word is that the 5.0l, as well as the 6.2l, are DI capable, but won't come with it right out of the gate.
4 seats (mustang seats anyway)
40 MPG
400 HP

I would be super happy with that and there is no reason why it can't be done.!
yea, maybe with a turbo 2.0l for about $60k+ because of all of the aluminum and carbon fiber.
Update on the rumored 2012 crash standard. Yes, the new camaro and challenger meet them and the mustang does not. This does not mean the stang must meet them by 2012. It just means the new standards go into effect then. They have until 2016 before it's mandatory. I'm sure they'll redesign before then.
i'm looking for a brand new 'stang for 2014, the 50th anniversary. i think it would be a big mistake for ford to miss a chance like that.

R1der

SVT Vet
Established Member
WHY DOES IT MATTER THE WORLD IS GOING TO END IN 2012.......LMAO JK im waiting for the 2014 also cant wait!!!!

Formula51

Established Member
No way 425hp in the 2011 GT. Why do you guys let yourselves get your hopes up like this. Don't you know the secret to happiness is low expectations. And a happy marriage bye the way!

Formula51

Established Member
Nah, I still think the 22k LS1 Z28's are the best modern bang for buck pony cars.

Thats a pretty good argument. 3400#, 350hp, 3.42 gears, 6-speed, good brakes, SLA/panhard & torque arm suspension setup, and high 20's mpg to top it off. Plus, like you said, they were CHEAP.

A 425hp GT would be amazing if it happened though, but only if they kept it affordable. It would have to be low-mid $30's like the Camaro SS.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
They would never give a base GT that much power. GT500 owners would be pissed
Similar to the way '01 Cobra owners were a little miffed in the summer of 2002....

LOL @ all the people in this thread saying no way the car will have 400+, when they themselves don't know anything concrete. :rollseyes

VictorySong

Established Member
The camaro has over 400HP. I'm sure ford can come up with a good N/A motor if they put there minds to it. They did it with the Cobra R. Whether or not it will match the durability of there proven FI motors is doubtful.

THE_STIG

Established Member
I really don't see why so many of you care about how much HP the new GT has, none of you would ever sell your God's-gift-to-earth cobras for one. I've never heard so much GT bashing before coming to this site.

A4BLK98SS

Established Member
I really don't see why so many of you care about how much HP the new GT has, none of you would ever sell your God's-gift-to-earth cobras for one. I've never heard so much GT bashing before coming to this site.

I agree and it's dumb. A 2011 Mustang GT with 400+hp and the trackpack is going to be one hell of a car :rockon:

5point0guy

Established Member
I think those numbers from that site are a little high, I don't see a GT having over 400HP. Me and my dad got a bet going on, he says it's going to be 375-385HP and I'm saying 400HP even. Either way it's a huge step up from 315HP.

Jroc

Established Member

I like Mustangs/Fords in general. I had a GT before my Cobra its just that the GT's motor has been lacking in Muscle Car performance compared to its competitors for a while.

I would love for them to come out and destroy their competition.

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
With a new V6 in the 2011 Mustang that's rumored to be in the 300 HP area, Ford is going to have to do something new for the GT.
-

Coyote :dancenana:
6a00d83451b3c669e2010536f393aa970c-800wi
6a00d83451b3c669e2010536e9d5ea970b-800wi

-

2011 Mustang Engine options to be announced!!!

"Since the 2010 Mustang hit the streets, the Mustang community has been demanding more power and bigger engines. Other than a few subtle hints during interviews, Ford has been pretty hush-hush about what engines would be introduced for 2011 to hopefully close the gap between the Mustang and the cross town rivals from GM and Dodge. In what could be the first non-propaganda fed discussion in ages, Fox News reported that during a meeting with Ford's chief of global development, Derrick Kuzak, was quoted as saying that all of the questions about the Mustang's 2011 engine options will be answered in December at the Los Angeles Auto Show. We can fully expect a new entry level V6, possibly a beefed up version of the Duratec 37. That 3.7L V6 offers 273 horsepower in its current Mazda SUV uses, but with tuning adjustments it is expected that the Duratec 37 could make 300 horsepower. The Mustang GT also stands to benefit from a new engine, and most people in the automotive world would be shocked if it is not the return of the 5.0L V8. The 32 valve "Coyote", as it is known within Ford Motor Company, is expected to offer at least 400 horsepower to help get the Stang closer to the Challenger SRT8 and Camaro SS in power output. There have been spy shots available since early in 2009 of what is perceived to be the Coyote in an S197 Mustang engine bay, so the Coyote is all but available-for-sale.

What we aren't sure about, is whether or not Ford's EcoBoost V6 will find it's way into the Mustang. The 3.5L twin turbocharged V6 offers an impressive 365 horsepower and 350 lb-ft of torque, and since the EcoBoost hit the market, there have been rumors of an 'EcoBoosted' Mustang, but there hasn't been anything from Ford to support these rumors. (For my previous article about the EcoBoost fitting into the Mustang, click here!)

There are also rumors that the 2011 GT500 could see an improvement to the engine, although it looks like the GT500 will still come with a supercharged 5.4L engine. The change to the GT500 will most likely be the addition of an aluminum engine block, as there have been well publicized videos of Ford test vehicles using an aluminum block 5.4L engine.

Again, until Ford stops teasing us and releases the official information at the LA Auto Show in December, these are all rumors and speculation, but it looks like the Mustang will finally be getting the horsepower that the Ford faithful have been demanding."

Reference article here 2011 Mustang Engine options to be announced!!! - MustangForums.com

Users who are viewing this thread