New 5.0 DOHC GT to have 425hp?

A4BLK98SS

Established Member
According to a tuner the 2011 Mustang GT DOHC 5.0 makes 425hp "officially" but 468hp on an engine dyno. I think it's too high. If the 468hp # held up, that would equate to just over 397RWHP. I can't imagine the Mustang GT going from 270ish RWHP to 397RWHP in just one year.... Here is the [ame="http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145155"]original thread[/ame] and [ame="http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?p=37978#post37978"]here[/ame] is where I grabbed all his quotes about it. Thoughts? He seems to be fairly reputable :shrug:

jsd512

Wannabe Ghostbuster
Established Member
Nope, I have seen a number of articles all saying 400HP - which is a solid number considering that's more power than the NA 5.4 out of the 2000 R for a lot less money.

A4BLK98SS

Established Member
Nope, I have seen a number of articles all saying 400HP - which is a solid number considering that's more power than the NA 5.4 out of the 2000 R for a lot less money.

I agree, but he actually would be someone that might have early access :shrug:

I'm predicting 400hp with rwhp between 335 and 350.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
According to a tuner the 2011 Mustang GT DOHC 5.0 makes 425hp "officially" but 468hp on an engine dyno. I think it's too high. If the 468hp # held up, that would equate to just over 397RWHP. I can't imagine the Mustang GT going from 270ish RWHP to 397RWHP in just one year.... Here is the original thread and here is where I grabbed all his quotes about it. Thoughts? He seems to be fairly reputable :shrug:

Well if it does make that much power it would only support my theory that the 5.0 DOHC will not find its way into the GT model but rather a car that sits in between the 540hp GT 500 and the 315 hp GT. Probably going to be the new Boss 302.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member

As for the 2000 Cobra R reference, you have to realize that that was 2000, this car will be a 2011. 11 years later so I see no problem at all with that. I would hope that 11 years later Ford would have advancements that not only allow them to surpas the n/a 5.4 but also find ways to make it cheaper. After all, the 96 Cobra with its 305 hp DOHC was making more power than the 95 Cobra R with its 300 hp 351, and it was cheaper and it was only a year later!

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Well if it does make that much power it would only support my theory that the 5.0 DOHC will not find its way into the GT model but rather a car that sits in between the 540hp GT 500 and the 315 hp GT. Probably going to be the new Boss 302.

That's what I'm beginning to think, and if it happens Ford can suck a dick. The current Mustang GT is way underpowered for the money, it deserves nothing less than 400hp.

2010 Boss 302R Limited Edition Mustang Announced by Ford Racing | Ford Mustang Heaven

Jroc

Established Member
Also Evolution Performance is a very repurtable Ford tuner.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
yeah but whats it gonna cost and whats the compression? If its really high that means its not supercharger friendly meaning your left with just bolt ons and for some people thats not gonna be enough. Also a 425 hp Gt is gonna be pricey on insurance and gas

Boomer v3.8

Established Member
Even if the GT has 425hp... GT500 owners will still be seeing them in their rear view...
And its not like they will stay still at 540hp either...or be iron block...or...

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
yeah but whats it gonna cost and whats the compression? If its really high that means its not supercharger friendly meaning your left with just bolt ons and for some people thats not gonna be enough.

finally having a naturally aspirated ford version of the LS1 is not enough?

i think most fans of the Mustang would love to finally have a naturally aspirated pony car platform to gloat about.

Satyr

Established Member
finally having a naturally aspirated ford version of the LS1 is not enough?

i think most fans of the Mustang would love to finally have a naturally aspirated pony car platform to gloat about.

Definitely agree...a lot of GM owners have been playing the "you can only win since you have a supercharger" card for too many years. This would at least propose a counter to their argument.

Jroc

Established Member
Nah, I still think the 22k LS1 Z28's are the best modern bang for buck pony cars.

This is debateable.

If all you are talking about is for its motor then I could agree otherwise a base Z28 is a pretty bland car.

You could also argue SRT4 or Terminator or ZO6 when you're talking about what the whole package gives you for the dollar.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread