New 5.0 DOHC GT to have 425hp?

A4BLK98SS

Established Member
This is debateable.

If all you are talking about is for its motor then I could agree otherwise a base Z28 is a pretty bland car.

You could also argue SRT4 or Terminator or ZO6 when you're talking about what the whole package gives you for the dollar.

SRT = FWD so no
Terminator = 35k and stock for stock aren't that much ahead of an LS1 Z28
Z06 = Over 2.5x expensive stock

When taking into account breaking, acceleration and pure performance metrics, I don't think you could find anything that has the bang for buck that an LS1 Z28 had. Having said that, I own a Terminator so you know what my opinion is ;-)

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
dont start this whole song and dance again,

They are what they are,

This new 5.0 kind of depresses me looks like i got down another notch in the food chain, lol

65fastback2+2

Established Member
couple of things...this 5.0 will be shared with Ford Aus and they already said it would replace their 5.4's and maintain the same power or more power. The Aus 5.4 makes 415hp crank, so I dont see this new motor being less than 415, which should put it about 375-380 rwhp.

Secondly, the GT's are optioning out around $38-40k. Terminators and cobras have always been about $10k more than the GT cars. so really, 415 for $40k and 540 for $50k....seems plausible. I think you'll see a bump in power on the GT500 though, imo to around 580ish. With the Z28 camaro coming out, ford will have something for it.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
The 5.0 4v V8 in the Lexus IS-F is well over 400hp, why wouldn't the 5.0 4v V8 in the 2011 GT be capable of same.

I've been hearing direct injection rumors as well, if that's the case even with higher compression it could still be boost friendly.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
rumors are no direct injection for this jsut yet, anyways 400-425 hp is nice but sooner or later insurance companies are gonna start crying fowl, I dont know about you but i dont know many people who have 40k to spend on a GT and be able to afford the insurance in this economy,

the horsepower wars can also only go so high, you cant have everyone running around with 500 hp, its just not safe or smart. with that said i feel like these numbers will be about the highest you will see in a gt and camaro for a long time and maybe forever unless they gain another 500 pounds so they need the hp to make up for the weight

THE_STIG

Established Member
I actually am pretty happy with my 300hp 05 GT. Reacts well to mods, looks amazing and the interior is light years ahead of the SN95/New Edge interior.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
A 425 hp (469 actual hp per the OP) GT would be all over the GT500 in the 1/4 and most likely waste it in the twisties.

Now way IMO.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
A 425 hp (469 actual hp per the OP) GT would be all over the GT500 in the 1/4 and most likely waste it in the twisties.

Now way IMO.

With the coming weight reduction for the GT 500 and likely a boost in power as well I'm sure the GT 500 will more than hold its own against the 425 hp GT or Boss 302 in the 1/4. Now the slightly lighter and more balanced 425 hp n/a car will probably be more desireable in the corners. But then again, with weight reduction the GT 500 with more power will perform better than it does now.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
With the coming weight reduction for the GT 500 and likely a boost in power as well I'm sure the GT 500 will more than hold its own against the 425 hp GT or Boss 302 in the 1/4. Now the slightly lighter and more balanced 425 hp n/a car will probably be more desireable in the corners. But then again, with weight reduction the GT 500 with more power will perform better than it does now.

Don't forget the impending 2012 crash standards. The current S197 does not meet them (FYI, the Camaro & Challenger both meet them.)

Some of the weight savings may be offset. Besides, the GT is ~300-400# lighter, so 425-450hp would be a tough package to beat @ 3500#.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
4 seats (mustang seats anyway)
40 MPG
400 HP

I would be super happy with that and there is no reason why it can't be done.!

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Don't forget the impending 2012 crash standards. The current S197 does not meet them (FYI, the Camaro & Challenger both meet them.)

Some of the weight savings may be offset. Besides, the GT is ~300-400# lighter, so 425-450hp would be a tough package to beat @ 3500#.

:rollseyes well good for them for being early who cares? I guess this new crash standard is going to add another 500# by the way you like to emphasize it.

Oh and the 425 hp is still 115hp behind the 540 hp GT 500 as it is now. I expect it will recieve a power increase as well. Even if it weighs less it would have to weigh almoust 1000# less to close the power to weight ratio difference.

Really this is alot like when the Mach 1 and the 03-04 Cobra came out. One was a 300hp n/a engine and one was a 390hp FI engine. Those power #'s are closer than the gap we are talking about and which one do you think is faster out of the box? We all know the answer to that one.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
:rollseyes well good for them for being early who cares? I guess this new crash standard is going to add another 500# by the way you like to emphasize it.

Oh and the 425 hp is still 115hp behind the 540 hp GT 500 as it is now. I expect it will recieve a power increase as well. Even if it weighs less it would have to weigh almoust 1000# less to close the power to weight ratio difference.

Really this is alot like when the Mach 1 and the 03-04 Cobra came out. One was a 300hp n/a engine and one was a 390hp FI engine. Those power #'s are closer than the gap we are talking about and which one do you think is faster out of the box? We all know the answer to that one.

All I was stating is that the increased crash standards will in all likelihood offset most, if not all of the AL block savings, which will still keep the 500 in the ~3900# range. A 425hp (or 460hp actual per the first post) @ 3500# would make it a very close race. The C5 Z has a worse p/w ratio than the 500, but somehow manages to beat it.

Now, we can continue to speculate that the GT will have 450hp and the GT500 will gain 150hp and lose 600#, but it's not going to do any good.

No way the GT gets 425+. Maybe a SE Boss or something, but not the regular GT.

Ronias

Established Member
Seriously cmon stop living in the clouds. Dont forget about the new fuel standards and environment standards cars have to meet. No way will this car have that much hp

SNCBOOM

Established Member
It would need a significant design change on the rear to interest me. Also, a $40k mustang? No thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread