New 03 Sonic Blue Convertible Owner Checking In

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
I finally got the car of my dreams!
What is up SVT Performance?!?!?

I picked her up about a month ago. 2003 Sonic Blue Convertible with 20k original miles. The prior owner upgraded to chrome wheels, brand new Continental rubber, stainless COBRA inserts on rear bumper, Magna Flow Cat back, 2.8 upper pulley, Dense Charger CAI, Hypertech Programmer, Pro 5.0 shifter, engine/shifter ID plates and a couple of other items.

I couldn't be happier. It also came with a set of Toyo Proxes R888 315/35ZR-17 tires mounted to 10.5” American Muscle rear chrome Cobra Replica Rims with SVT Center Caps as well as the button head IRS bolts.

I'm no stranger to Ford or Mustangs. I was a Ford Senior Master Mechanic, worked for Ford corporate Service Operations in Dearborn and have had my 1991 Hunter Green LX since 1996.

I've spent hours upon hours on this site reading up on various topics, questions, products, combos, etc. I've already picked up a Steeda CAI to replace the Densecharger, AFCO H/E, 4 lb caged lower from WS6JJP and a welded and ported stock plenum. None of which I've installed yet. I have to get the FLSFC's and have them installed as well as the Reiche t-stat and head cooling mod. I plan on porting the stock blower, installing the plenum I purchased and replacing the t-body with a BBK twin 65 mm.

Other than getting it tinted and driving it I haven't done much other than beat the living day lights out of her! Also picking up an NGK wide band as I really don't have the cash left to mess with engine problems.

29ps1gg.jpg

23li1l0.jpg

My original and feeling neglected other baby.

r73vc1.jpg

2ebvg94.jpg

zu37sp.jpg

2yx3yac.jpg

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
When I was restoring the car there were not many options. They do look better in person. From the side shot they look stock but..... It was those or repro of OEM's. not too many non-ghetto options out there. These are just semi-ghetto!?!?!?

mysticvenom623

Established Member
Looks like you are headed in the right direction with the Terminator. Love the sonic blue. Congrats

Peetiewonder

RoofGone GeorgeJefferson
Established Member
Nice cars, not feelin the lights on the fox though but sick car nonetheless

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
Looks like mine!

First things first -- FLSFC and springs! The convertible "shake" over bumps takes a bit getting used to. Mine had FLSFC installed when I got it and it still shakes. I can't imagine how shakey it is without them. We have similar mods too, Steeda CAI, AFCO H/E. I recently installed a 2.76 pulley and idlers... first gear is useless on the street rubber. How are the R888s for you?

In 2003, Ford only made 340 SB convertibles with black tops.

Mine:
1039528_10100254116186140_848879881_o.jpg

Last edited:

Mac99Snake

GSIP
Established Member
Welcome to the Sonic Blue club, the best color of course :) Very nice and clean fox, though I have to echo the headlight comments...

file_zpsd260ade1.jpg

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
Thanks all!
I always thought the 97 Atlantic Blue vert Cobra was the way to go until 2003! Then I knew if had to be the Sonic Blue Vert. I wasn't looking for the car but when I stumbled upon it I thought with the miles and mods that now is the time. I am really happy with the Continental rubber on it now. I actually flew into Cleveland OH and drove it back to St Augustine, FL. They are soft, the ride is really comfortable and they hook good to. I haven't dumped the clutch in it but have ran it hard from 10 mph first gear stomps threw the gears, etc. and very little spinning. The thing just screams. It's a lot faster than I bargained for. The fox is a fun street car and can have the clutch dumped and spin the tires all it wants. I like the Cobra for the pure speed, smooth high RPM's, ice cold air, style, etc.

I haven't run the R888's yet but holy hell they are wide. Going to port the blower, put on the 4 lb lower, 2.93 upper, t-body, plenum, wide band, tune and then see if I need them. Don't mind spinning as it should help keep things from breaking.

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
Looks like mine!

First things first -- FLSFC and springs! The convertible "shake" over bumps takes a bit getting used to. Mine had FLSFC installed when I got it and it still shakes. I can't imagine how shakey it is without them. We have similar mods too, Steeda CAI, AFCO H/E. I recently installed a 2.76 pulley and idlers... first gear is useless on the street rubber. How are the R888s for you?

In 2003, Ford only made 340 SB convertibles with black tops.

It does shimmy over bumps! Keeps going like jello until it settles down.
What springs are you running?

Users who are viewing this thread