Neighbors hit my door! :-/

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's an excellent thread. I have read it.

Man, sucks that something did this to your Mystichrome. Remember that even if the guy is agreeable to get it fixed for your, he wants to avoid going through his insurance and he probably has some dollar figure in his head. If the cost exceeds what he thinks he might have to pay, he might suddenly become not so agreeable. That's when a confession of guilt AND a written promise to pay for all of the expense becomes important. Definitely get a police report done AND have the guy state in writing that he will pay for the repairs, whatever it costs. And that YOU can choose who does the work. You absolutely have to cover your butt with stuff like this. Things can go downhill real quick when money is involved.

CobRoush-00

Established Member
That's an excellent thread. I have read it.

Man, sucks that something did this to your Mystichrome. Remember that even if the guy is agreeable to get it fixed for your, he wants to avoid going through his insurance and he probably has some dollar figure in his head. If the cost exceeds what he thinks he might have to pay, he might suddenly become not so agreeable. That's when a confession of guilt AND a written promise to pay for all of the expense becomes important. Definitely get a police report done AND have the guy state in writing that he will pay for the repairs, whatever it costs. And that YOU can choose who does the work. You absolutely have to cover your butt with stuff like this. Things can go downhill real quick when money is involved.

Can't say it any better than CobraBob.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
i work for BASF our Diamont basecoat is one of our top of the line products. 1 pint will run you about $110. shouldn't take more than 1/4-1/2 pint to fix your problem. not sure on the blend I have never seen one spot painted before. I do know that if you panel paint it then the match is going to be horrible. A blend is a must, just not sure how well it blends. I would take it to somebody with some experience in color changing paint. ask around your town at your local automotive paint shops. good luck!

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
I will add that you may want to stick with the BASF brands of paint (diamond base or Glasurit 55 line) I believe that is what was used from the factory. They are polyester based and even though you might not think it would mater, but it will help in the matching process.

Last edited:

MysticRob

Established Member
Subbing for updates and results. I have some spots on mine that I need to get repaired so am very curious how well your repairs go.

619Cobra04

Mystic Cobra
Established Member
Okay okay! Got an update! But first let me thank all the input so far :) I appreciate these responses. I have found a body shop that has done this exact paint job on a cobra before and luckily it was recommended by my insurance co. The neighbor that invited the guy (guy who hit me) has made a claim without telling me. He told them exactly what happened and had a recorded statement saying he is taking the responsibility. He did it because the "guy" that hit me is actually deploying next week. Needless to say, it's being taken care of finally with friendly actions and is already in the system. We have the same insurance co too. So this should be easy. Also, I got an estimate as well. The guy went thru the whole process of completing the job. I feel very confident in his shops skills. Except he couldn't quote me paint price due to it being discontinued. He said he can still create it or whatever that process is. But as far as a new scoop and all the buffing and etc... It's only 270$. He does plan on doing a big area to get the best blend possible. I'll post pictures of end product when it finally goes to the shop.

I will print out that thread too, maybe it will help them create the exact thing quicker and easier. Feeling better now :) well almost

mr-proper

Established Member
why blending? isnt it just the scoop? take it off get it painted and be done with it?i

mach14604

Established Member
Except he couldn't quote me paint price due to it being discontinued. He said he can still create it or whatever that process is. But as far as a new scoop and all the buffing and etc... It's only 270$. He does plan on doing a big area to get the best blend possible.

This seems a little odd to me. I would be very careful on this match because of those words. But hey maybe I am just paranoid. I think I would have taken it to a Ford Dealer.

10sec89

Established Member
why blending? isnt it just the scoop? take it off get it painted and be done with it?i
These colors are tough, it's not as easy as paint a scoop and toss it on. A solid color is one thing but this is a whole different ball of wax. I did some paint work on my DSG. I had to repaint the hood due to bad stone chips. I needed to blend it into the tops of the fenders for it to look unnoticable. The metallics in the paint need to lay the same or it will stick out like a sore thumb. I have a billet fuel door on my car that I didn't care for, so I sprayed it the same time I did my hood. When I put it on the car it might has well been painted orange it stuck out so bad. You need to blend a continuous flat surface for it to look right.

619Cobra04

Mystic Cobra
Established Member
It's not just the scoop. And I asked a billion questions. If he wasn't confident in any of them I would tell him I can't have him do the work. I am very skeptical already due to the paint. I hate to question someone's talent or profession, but idc atm. It's mystichrome, and it will be mystichrome. He has to redo the whole door scoop and back fender panel. No updates until this week.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
It's not just the scoop. And I asked a billion questions. If he wasn't confident in any of them I would tell him I can't have him do the work. I am very skeptical already due to the paint. I hate to question someone's talent or profession, but idc atm. It's mystichrome, and it will be mystichrome. He has to redo the whole door scoop and back fender panel. No updates until this week.

If you want, I can call my painter tomorrow. She is GREAT, and blended my M3 PERFECTLY which isn't an easy job. She used to own a silver 10th vert and now owns a GT500, so she has a big heart for these cars.

I've heard its not that bad to blend or shoot. Ironically enough, I still think that red is more expensive for the paint....at least thats what drew ford told me.

619Cobra04

Mystic Cobra
Established Member
Where is she located? I always have the option to pick my body shop. I'd appreciate the help. Thanks!

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
If you want, I can call my painter tomorrow. She is GREAT, and blended my M3 PERFECTLY which isn't an easy job. She used to own a silver 10th vert and now owns a GT500, so she has a big heart for these cars.

I've heard its not that bad to blend or shoot. Ironically enough, I still think that red is more expensive for the paint....at least thats what drew ford told me.

She? I suddenly need to repaint my hood.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
She? I suddenly need to repaint my hood.

Lol! She is a member on this forum. She owns the "ugliest GT500". Its far from ugly anymore. See if you can find it on "search" here. She bought it and made it sexy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

619Cobra04

Mystic Cobra
Established Member
Found that thread, but the pics won't show. I'll text you later when I get out of work. I'm gonna call sid on el Cajon today too. Thanks for that tip

Users who are viewing this thread