Need Track Advise for 2.93" Pullied Cobra with Drag Radials

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
I'm currently deployed, but have a race lined up when I get back to the states in July. My buddy has a C-5 Corvette with a Cam/Heads/3.90's/Longtubes/DR's and runs 11.8's at 119.5. I only have the K&N and SLP cat back at the moment on the car. I have a 2.93 Billetflow pulley and 100mm idler waiting for install at home. I'm ordering a tune/tuner from herman and will also be getting some Nitto DR's. I've run my old GT at the track to 13.9's on a hot day with street tires so I've got some track experience. Basically I'm looking for some driving and setup advise since I'm thinking it will be a really close race. This is what I plan on doing and am looking for any advise. I plan on having the DR's at around 18psi. Launch at 3500k while slipping the clutch slightly. Powershifting 1-2 and 3-4 only since I've not had good luck with a 2-3 powershift. Headlight removed for any possible help there. Short shifting 1-2 at about 5500 rpm and then shifting at 6500k for the rest of the gears. That's about it. Any tweaks or driving tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lance

Fdawg97lx

Established Member
i launch at 4500 on bfg drag radials and cut low 1.7's all day, with a slight slip of the clutch (not just a straight dump) and i shift at 6200 rpms. without powershifting i've been ablt to go 11.8 @ 118.4. with some power shifting i think i could get it down to an 11.6 @ 119-120. this should be a pretty good race, post the results once it happens.

Frank

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
My buddy has a C-5 Corvette with a Cam/Heads/3.90's/Longtubes/DR's and runs 11.8's at 119.5.

Your probably going to get your arse handed to you. With the 2.93 upper only you will probably trap 114-116 tops. If you do not land a 1.7 to 1.8 60 foot it's over for you. Do yourself a favor and call Dynotune for a 50 shot to put the advantage in your court. JMO :nono:

Fdawg97lx

Established Member
zinc03svt said:
My buddy has a C-5 Corvette with a Cam/Heads/3.90's/Longtubes/DR's and runs 11.8's at 119.5.

Your probably going to get your arse handed to you. With the 2.93 upper only you will probably trap 114-116 tops. If you do not land a 1.7 to 1.8 60 foot it's over for you. Do yourself a favor and call Dynotune for a 50 shot to put the advantage in your court. JMO :nono:

didnt realize he said 2.93. switch to a 2.76 and drive the piss out of the car and you should be good for about 11.6-11.7 @ 119-120

Frank

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
zinc03svt said:

EXACTLY what he said. I just drove my 2.93 upper only (w/ catback and CAI) to a 12.4@115 on street tires with a 2.0 60ft. It was my first time with this car at the track, but I would think you would need to drive the hell out of it/get lucky to have a chance. Get a 4lb lower b4 the race, should be good for 11.8's all day. Good luck. :beer:

JMD0346

Established Member
I ran 11.80's-90's pretty damn consistant on that setup. Key things are launch the crap out of it and power shift. I launch around 5000 rpm on dr's. That gets me low 1.7-high 1.60's. One other important thing is the TREE. Tree that Vette good enough and he wont come back on you. It worked for me(on my current setup) against a track buddy of mine with a H/C/I 125 shot auto C5. I treed him pretty good and he just couldnt pull back. It was the best race Ive ever had. Photo finish. To my dismay it turns out he was having tranny prblems. Came back the next week and went 10.80 on the same setup. Came back for vette day with some more juice and went 10.40. I got my win though! LOL! Good luck.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
W/ a 2.93 upper only you'll be seeing tail lights most likely. I'd say throw more boost at it or port the blower before you challenge him....

ls1eater

Established Member
zinc03svt said:

114-116??? No.....Period....I trapped 120 with 2.93 pulley only and I know plenty of people trapping 118-122 with 2.93 only.....just know how to drive I guess :beer:

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
ls1eater said:
114-116??? No.....Period....I trapped 120 with 2.93 pulley only and I know plenty of people trapping 118-122 with 2.93 only.....just know how to drive I guess :beer:

:bored:

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
JMD0346 said:
I ran 11.80's-90's pretty damn consistant on that setup. Key things are launch the crap out of it and power shift. I launch around 5000 rpm on dr's. That gets me low 1.7-high 1.60's. One other important thing is the TREE. Tree that Vette good enough and he wont come back on you. It worked for me(on my current setup) against a track buddy of mine with a H/C/I 125 shot auto C5. I treed him pretty good and he just couldnt pull back. It was the best race Ive ever had. Photo finish. To my dismay it turns out he was having tranny prblems. Came back the next week and went 10.80 on the same setup. Came back for vette day with some more juice and went 10.40. I got my win though! LOL! Good luck.

FIrst of all, no one is launching a cobra at 5k on the street with drag radials/slicks or whatever. If this race is at the track - maybe with all the suspension and rear end parts/setup. 3800k tops on drap radials :bs:

JMD0346

Established Member
zinc03svt said:
FIrst of all, no one is launching a cobra at 5k on the street with drag radials/slicks or whatever. If this race is at the track - maybe with all the suspension and rear end parts/setup. 3800k tops on drap radials :bs:

Well I assumed they were racing at the track. I didnt read where it said "street race". Did you? He did however metion the track a couple times.

Are you telling me you cant launch at 5000 on DR's? If so youve got some learning to do. Maybe you cant do it but alot of us can.

Edit: I see you ran 12.63 with 460rwhp. Now I understand why you dont know shit.

Last edited:

Fdawg97lx

Established Member
+1

i launch mine at 4500 on bfg drag radials with no problems at all. i'm gonna try 5000 rpms next time i'm at the track. suspension is 100% stock except for the bf irs brace.

Frank

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
Thanks Guys for the replies. Yes, this race will be at the track NOT on the street. I know he has a history of launching problems and the 11.80@119 is his best ever run. He also had staging problems for a long time due to his front air dam being so low and triggering the staging lights. He's a good buddy so this is all in fun. I'm hoping it will be a good race with me not too far behind. I plan on powershifting and launching hard out of the hole. The DR's will be brand new so hopefully they'll grip well with a moderate burnout to warm them up.

Lance

Pale Snake

Established Member
I was able to consistantly trap @ 120 last season with a 3.1 upper wo a problem, depends on driving and track conditions. With a 2.93 and good launch and shifting you should hold your own. If your running drag radials it should help you quite a bit as well.

00Vette

Established Member
zinc03svt said:
Do yourself a favor and call Dynotune for a 50 shot to put the advantage in your court. JMO :nono:

I got a 200hp shot on tap!:rockon:

But the deal is my motor against his current setup! We both know it'll be a good match up! That was the plan..........it wouldn't be fun if it wasn't close.:dw:

Last edited:

00Vette

Established Member
Oh and BTW..........11.8 @ 119mph is my best time so far. I run consistant 12.0's @ 117/118mph!

IMO, the race is going to be very close.........its going to come down to who launches and hooks out the hole the best.:coolman:

I would post an MPEG of my most current runs, but my "posting rules" say I can't post attachments. :cuss: Why can't I?

00Vette

Established Member
JMD0346 said:
Well I assumed they were racing at the track. I didnt read where it said "street race". Did you? He did however metion the track a couple times.

Are you telling me you cant launch at 5000 on DR's? If so youve got some learning to do. Maybe you cant do it but alot of us can.

Edit: I see you ran 12.63 with 460rwhp. Now I understand why you dont know shit.

I have launched on my BFG's at 5000rpms. Most of the time I launch around 4500rpms, but 5000rpms isn't unheard of. I have got some of my best 60ft times off of a 5000rpm clutch slip launch.:)

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
00Vette said:
Oh and BTW..........11.8 @ 119mph is my best time so far. I run consistant 12.0's @ 117/118mph!

IMO, the race is going to be very close.........its going to come down to who launches and hooks out the hole the best.:coolman:

I would post an MPEG of my most current runs, but my "posting rules" say I can't post attachments. :cuss: Why can't I?

Obviously, this is the buddy that I'm going to race. We're back from our deployment and are trying to get to the track. I'm waiting on a quick dyno run to check my A/F ratio before I give her hell. Unfortunatly all the dyno's in the area with wideband capability are broke at the moment, but one says they'll be fixed any day. I really think this race will come down to the driver ablility. I added a MGW shifter to help me power shift all gears as well. Will let you know the results and hope to get this on tape.

lance:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread