Need someone local to rebuild a whipple (S.FL)

kingcobra8541

The Dude
Established Member
As some of you know I bought a used whipple off of the net. I did the swap over the weekend and I got screwed, LITERALLY! The friggen blower rattles at idle so I know it needs a rebuild. The rotors looked new with no marks or damage. I saw it on ebay and called the guy and offered him $100 less than his starting price (no reserve) and made the deal outside of ebay and payed him with a bank check. As soon as it arrived the seller stopped answering my calls or texts. So I have no recourse, I got screwed I have accepted that I got screwed and now have to move on and get it fixed. I know I can send it back to whipple but this thing is HEAVY and shipping it to CA would be around $150 both ways and the turnaround time will be weeks so I'm looking to see if it can be done locally. I'm really pissed because I overextended myself buying this thing in the first place and now I have to dish out more cash for a rebuild! WTF why does this crap always happen to me?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Sorry to hear about your troubles
I would use Steggy.

I would not be concerned with local. Expect to have to ship and just have someone that knows what they are doing do it for you.

Sounds like a broken front drive.

The only way I would ever buy a used blower would be if I had heard it run in person before it was taken off, or if it had just come from a Steggy rebuild or check out. Live and learn.

Although technically everytime someone buys a used Terminator they are buying a used blower.:-D Usually they are fine.

svtcobratenthan

Established Member
Man bro I feel 4 u. But when u try to go on the cheap it always ends up costing more. Im putting big crower cams on mine right now started out 2600. well its 4g and counting oh ya also had blown head gasket.Was that blower that was 1700 on e bay had been onanother car. 3.4 whipple needed another couple of parts?

kingcobra8541

The Dude
Established Member
Man bro I feel 4 u. But when u try to go on the cheap it always ends up costing more. Im putting big crower cams on mine right now started out 2600. well its 4g and counting oh ya also had blown head gasket.Was that blower that was 1700 on e bay had been onanother car. 3.4 whipple needed another couple of parts?

This one is a Gen1 2.3... Anyone have any videos of their Gen1 2.3 @ idle? I called whipple and they told me that bearing growl is a characteristic of these blowers at idle but it sounds more like metal rattling around inside the blower. The rotors looked new with no marks on them and I even sucked all of the residual oil that was left in there and put all new oil in it...and double checked the oil level. It makes boost and the sound goes away when you give it gas.

Last edited:

Spoolx

Established Member
FWIW it might just be the snout, I rebuilt the snout on a friends eaton this weekend and it was really easy. His car was making a nasty grumble just like your describing.
When its making the noise, touch the snout and see if you can feel it.
I followed these instructions
Eaton snout rebuild
I know its an eaton but it might be similar

kingcobra8541

The Dude
Established Member
I literally can't afford the $1200 that it cost to ship it to whipple for a rebuild:nonono:

kingcobra8541

The Dude
Established Member
Here is what I'm working with:cuss:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFa3jXjMimY&feature=player_profilepage"]YouTube - whipple noise 03 Cobra[/nomedia]

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
I literally can't afford the $1200 that it cost to ship it to whipple for a rebuild:nonono:

Man I saw this thread earlier and just didnt realize it was you.

This sucks man, hopefully Steggy, or a friend can get it done for ya. :beer:

Also, if it is JUST the front drive, why not try it with some buddies? What more could you screw up, nothing right? :shrug:

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
You can build the snout off yourself, and someone like steiggy or Ed @ PSE superchargers should be able to rebuild it.

wilderyzed

Established Member
I Just rebuilt mine yesterday, its actually very simple just so long as you keep all the parts organized. I can rebuild it if it doesn't need anything but parts, sounds to me that you need bearings, maybe new gears, and prob new bearings in the snout. Thats a little over my head unlike kenne bell, whipple generally will sell you the parts. Also if you take the snout off the is a plastic composite drive coupler behind it the crack and/or get play in them which also could make alot of noise. Mine cracked over time thats what I just got done replacing. Lemme know if this helps at all Im in davie maybe we could get together and take a look at it one day I used to work at mustang specialties.

Users who are viewing this thread