Need some questions answered...

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
Test drove my new Cobra last night. These are the questions that I have for everyone now..

1.Why did Ford even put a Boost gauge in teh new Cobra's. They don't even move unless you are almost full throttle. Does it start to register more when everything is broken in?

2. Does the Clutch engage at an incrdiblely high point? It acts like the clutch is burned out(I know it isn't). It engages about 2 inches from the top. My 01' engages at about 2/3's from the top. Is this normal? I drove 2 of them and it was the same on both..

3. One of the Cobra's had a belt slipage problem.. It would turn on the Alt light when you get on it. How many people have this issue?

4. What is the list of things to look for on the 03 that were going wrong. No tick, No Vibration, no ping. Those were the ones I was most concerned about. What did I not check for?

That is all I can think of at this point. I know there were more.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You really need to do a seach for answers to those questions. There's a lot of info here. You just have to take the time to seach it out. Your reward will be a multitude of data to mull over vs. one or two comments here. Just a suggestion. :)

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Absolutely

Originally posted by CobraBob
You really need to do a seach for answers to those questions. There's a lot of info here. You just have to take the time to seach it out. Your reward will be a multitude of data to mull over vs. one or two comments here. Just a suggestion. :)

Wonderful advise. This place is a god send of information for new Cobra owners such as me.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by SVTCobra2001

3. One of the Cobra's had a belt slipage problem.. It would turn on the Alt light when you get on it. How many people have this issue?
What did the alt light look like? Was it a little red box?

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Don't buy that one. I have a 6th sense that says that car you test drove was beat on hard. The 03 Cobra I first test drove, the gearbox sounded like a blender with ROCKS in it while it was in gear. They were trying everything to sell it to me, but I knew something was wrong with it.

I ordered a fresh 03 Cobra from another dealer with 7 miles @ delivery. My name was even on the printed window sticker with the VIN #.

Mike

BAD03SVT

Established Member
the boost gauge does not register until about full throttle due to the roots blower does not build boost like the centrifigual (sp).

sounds like the clutch needs to be adjusted on both of them can be done on the firewall

man i have never even seen the alt box what does it look like?

you checked the tick, the vibe, np pinging. also make sure the tranny does clunk in between shifts, also drive with the windows up radio off rpms down and listen for air coming in on drivers side a pillar. and sometimes the passenger seat is not adjusted correctly and squeeks against passenger door panel, can be heard when jamming to tunes. other than that i am not sure. oh yeah make sure it doesnt pull one way or the other.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
The boost guage works, I'd just be sure it's at operating temp and I wouldn't use boost in 6th gear. When you're in 4th at normal speeds, just blip the gas pedal halfway and you should see it move a bit. Full boost is only when you floor it.

The ALT light would most likely be the traction control light. It's green and looks like a vortex, but it's a badly drawn tire with "spin" lol.

Keep the traction control OFF unless it's raining. It will get you killed in dry conditions and it may also possibly give you and your car whiplash.

Mike

Last edited:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by snakeluvr

Unfortunately, I've seen it. It's a little red box with a +/- sign on the lower left of the instrument panel.
I know of a couple of early cars that had alternator problems.

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
Re: Re: Need some questions answered...

Originally posted by racerat
What did the alt light look like? Was it a little red box?

Looked like a Red Battery.. Light the old Dumby lights.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Need some questions answered...

Originally posted by SVTCobra2001
Looked like a Red Battery.. Light the old Dumby lights.
That's the alt light. I'd find a car with fewer issues. :beer:

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
Originally posted by snakeluvr
the boost gauge does not register until about full throttle due to the roots blower does not build boost like the centrifigual (sp).

sounds like the clutch needs to be adjusted on both of them can be done on the firewall

you checked the tick, the vibe, np pinging. also make sure the tranny does clunk in between shifts, also drive with the windows up radio off rpms down and listen for air coming in on drivers side a pillar. and sometimes the passenger seat is not adjusted correctly and squeeks against passenger door panel, can be heard when jamming to tunes. other than that i am not sure. oh yeah make sure it doesnt pull one way or the other.

The Alt light is on the lower left of the cluster. It surprised me when it came on. I thought it might be a fluke but everytime I hit the gas hard it lit up.. Oh well. I didn't like the way that car rode any how. I am going to have them adjust the clutch before I pick it up. It also had a squeek in the steering column. Like a peice of plastic was loose that will be adjusted before I pick it up.. I just wanted to make sure I was not ,missing anything on the clutch. Being used to the 3650, I just wantedt o make sure that the high pedal was not normal on the T-56. All the 03's that I have driven have had the clutched mofdified. So I had no stock comparisons.

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob

I came up with about 300 different threads. Most with the same issue of the tick and how the person had it fixed. I think I have most of it covered but just wanted to make sure I did not miss something in my excitment over the new car. There was nothing on the boost gauge or the clutch that I could find.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
what run cars were these that you tested any of them 10th anniv

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra10thaniv
what run cars were these that you tested any of them 10th anniv

nO 10th Aniv. I had two Blk 03's to choose from. They will be adding the chrome rims before I pick the car up. I wish they were polished like on the 01's. I like the polished look over chrome.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Just I was told the last run cars only accomodate for about 5lbs boost for the first 25 key turns. I was told this by svt to eliminate fords problems with plugged cats from rich conditions durning delivery. How they deal with 5psi in stead of 8 I dont know and never asked. They said the factory only has 87 octang for cars. I noticed my boost gauge went up farther as time went on FYI

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
Both cars I drove pegged the Boost guage at 10PSI. I would think that is a good thing.:beer: I have seem that the 10th Aniv. have been Dynoing low. I wonder if that is why. I think the last Dyno I saw posted was in the 350's instead of what seems to be the norm of high 360's and into the 370's. I think I have even seen one post into the 380's. Hard to believe that one but I guess it could happen.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
yes mine I broke in the way I normally do for all my engine rebuilds and mine pulled a 385.4 and mine is a 10th

Users who are viewing this thread