Need some power adding advice

Rex Racer

Established Member
I have been shopping around quite some time for superchargers and I have been leaning toward a Roush, particularly from Brenspeed.

I just came back from a local shop, which is what I would prefer, but they are a Magnuson authorized dealer. They are very knowledgeable with the LS engine and their work has mostly been with Corvettes and Camaros. Locally, they are a very reputable performance shop and after talking with the owner I feel comfortable with his attitude of wanting to do what's best for the customer.

They have done work with the new 5.0, so I asked about pricing and options.

The suggestion was:
Magnuson S/C
CFM CIA
Alky Control Methanol Injection kit
ARH 1 7/8" off road X pipe
91 octane tune (done off premise)

and with labor it comes to $11,000.

Verdict: 550 RWHP and 500 TQ.

That seems high. Supposedly, the Brenspeed 626 kit alone will put out 626 at they fly, and I will assume 550 after drivetrain losses. That kit is 6k, with install, say another 1.5k.

What in the world am I missing Maybe a call to Brenspeed is on order.

Quad4_72

Established Member
I have been shopping around quite some time for superchargers and I have been leaning toward a Roush, particularly from Brenspeed.

I just came back from a local shop, which is what I would prefer, but they are a Magnuson authorized dealer. They are very knowledgeable with the LS engine and their work has mostly been with Corvettes and Camaros. Locally, they are a very reputable performance shop and after talking with the owner I feel comfortable with his attitude of wanting to do what's best for the customer.

They have done work with the new 5.0, so I asked about pricing and options.

The suggestion was:
Magnuson S/C
CFM CIA
Alky Control Methanol Injection kit
ARH 1 7/8" off road X pipe
91 octane tune (done off premise)

and with labor it comes to $11,000.

Verdict: 550 RWHP and 500 TQ.

That seems high. Supposedly, the Brenspeed 626 kit alone will put out 626 at they fly, and I will assume 550 after drivetrain losses. That kit is 6k, with install, say another 1.5k.

What in the world am I missing Maybe a call to Brenspeed is on order.

So, I got my Edelbrock kit from Brenspeed and spent quite a bit of time on the phone with them. They have good customer service and will help you with your decision. If I were to make the supercharger decision again I would buy the same kit. Now your $11,000 number is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. That is a lot of money to not go very fast. Hell, I will sell you my Edelbrock kit from Brenspeed (I have a turbo now) for $3500. It made 610 rwhp with the smaller pulley I put on.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Search around a bit.

That price is outrageous. If you're desd set on a supercharger buy a complete Paxton kit for $5500 or so and bolt it on yourself in a weekend and enjoy an easy 600whp.

A tvs will produce similar power but cost about 2 grand more.

Rex Racer

Established Member
I think the individual prices are fair:

Magnuson S/C for $5795
ARH Headers for $1564
CFM CIA for $314
Alky Methanol Injection Kit for $675
Dyno Tune for $550
Labor $2185
Misc coolant ~$60

But $11,000 for only 550 RWHP and 500 TQ? Man.

I don't think they are trying to blow smoke up my ass. We had a discussion of another customer of theirs with a 5.0 and he explained that it took some experimentation to figure out what pulley went with the methanol kit and headers.

It sounds like they are simply far more experienced with the LS engine which most of their work is with Camaro or Corvette. What a damn shame too. Very professional shop and certainly took the time to help with questions.

CPRsm

Shouldn't need a methanol kit. I'd stick w a coyote specific shop to be honest. The platform is not something you can jump into w a knowledge based on LS engines.
11k for us would be our turbo kit installed, fuel system for corn, converter installed, 9 sec car ready to go. More power and a lot more fun

q6543

Established Member
^
A chevy specific ls shop is gonna only be interested in keeping your car sow!

Can't have some dude around town in a 800 horse 5.0 runnin thangs.

11gs is forged shortblock 1000whp power adder money.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I'd recomend a TVS from VMP, or a turbo from CPR... Quality trumps Cheap in the long run. Labor for install should be between $1K & $1500. I would get a mail order tune. I'm not impressed with Brenspeed.

bmoney50

Established Member
I'd recomend a TVS from VMP, or a turbo from CPR... Quality trumps Cheap in the long run. Labor for install should be between $1K & $1500. I would get a mail order tune. I'm not impressed with Brenspeed.

I agree..If I ever sell the TVS it will only be for a turbo!

Rex Racer

Established Member

Interesting, why the frowny face with Brenspeed? I have talked to them a couple of times, and they seem informative and take the time to answer my questions. I still plan to talk to VMP as they are also reputable with the 5.0.

I will probably pull the trigger on a buy before the end of the year.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor

Just because something is priced cheap doesn't make it a cheap item.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Interesting, why the frowny face with Brenspeed? I have talked to them a couple of times, and they seem informative and take the time to answer my questions. I still plan to talk to VMP as they are also reputable with the 5.0.

I will probably pull the trigger on a buy before the end of the year.

They spend a lot of money on advertising/marketing, but I haven't seen anything impressive come out of their shop. Go to a NMRA race and see how many cars have Brenspeed down the side... Most are blower cars running 11's with the occasional high 10sec car... With some talent & their resources, they should have at least some 9 sec cars running out of their shop.

HOOT12

Established Member
Rex racer, please please please do not go thru brenspeed, soley for the kit and their tune. I did and I regret it. I the bought roush 626r kit. I installed the kit and loaded up their crappy tune. Anyone interested in adding a blower, absolutely needs to have it either data logged with a tuner and or custom tune at a dyno. This is the only way to dial the car in and have a piece of mind about safety.
So, after I instead their tune, the car ran like junk. I searched around for a tuner and ended up with AED. They get my vote, but there are a few other reputable tuners around as well.
If I had it to do over again, I'd buy the roush tuner kit. I didn't really know what that was and consisted of. With a tuner kit, you pick out the kit you want, whether a centrifugal or tvs, then you pick out injectors, which you want ID1000S, they will handle your immediate needs and long term needs, and last, you get to pick out a tuner.
Last but not least, brenspeed sold me on a kit and left me out to hang.
Both vmp and beefcake were extremely helpful along the way and I regret 100% that I didn't buy through them.
I will next time.
Good luck. The boost is fun

Rex Racer

Established Member
Rex racer, please please please do not go thru brenspeed, soley for the kit and their tune. I did and I regret it. I the bought roush 626r kit. I installed the kit and loaded up their crappy tune. Anyone interested in adding a blower, absolutely needs to have it either data logged with a tuner and or custom tune at a dyno. This is the only way to dial the car in and have a piece of mind about safety.
So, after I instead their tune, the car ran like junk. I searched around for a tuner and ended up with AED. They get my vote, but there are a few other reputable tuners around as well.
If I had it to do over again, I'd buy the roush tuner kit. I didn't really know what that was and consisted of. With a tuner kit, you pick out the kit you want, whether a centrifugal or tvs, then you pick out injectors, which you want ID1000S, they will handle your immediate needs and long term needs, and last, you get to pick out a tuner.
Last but not least, brenspeed sold me on a kit and left me out to hang.
Both vmp and beefcake were extremely helpful along the way and I regret 100% that I didn't buy through them.
I will next time.
Good luck. The boost is fun

Well, god dammit.

I am really big on customer service. My goals for the car are weekend spirited driving and street. Since I have an auto convertible (road noise - who cares!) I think my goals are reasonable. 550 RWHP is fine (but not for $11,000).

I will give VMP a call tomorrow.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
If you're gonna get a TVS go with VMP, more room to grow, good support from Justin, better resale down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread