• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Need some opinions on building a turbo motor

Discussion in 'Turbo Cobras' started by Dimitri318, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Dimitri318

Dimitri318 Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

Yea I had a couple too many beers last night when I posted that and just want my damn car back together lol.

Anyhow, I found a teksid block and am ordering rods and pistons next week and slowly do the build the right way. Now to find a set of B heads or some 9 thread heads and start piecing the rest together.

2. 03' White Snake

03' White Snake Well-Known Member Established Member

Bump the compression, ARP 2000 head studs and Rod bolts, Billet oil pump gears, and let her eat.

Dimitri318 likes this.
  3. slo984now

slo984now AKA 01yellerCobra Established Member

Why B heads?

4. Dimitri318

I read an article where John Mihovetz said they flowed better and were better heads compared to the 03/04 cobra heads. It said they were just a little better but not as good as the GT Supercar heads. I’ll have to find the article and post it.

5. slo984now

slo984now AKA 01yellerCobra Established Member

I think I read that article back in the day. But given the amount of people that are making big power with C heads I guess I don't see the point of trying to track down a set of B heads.

Dimitri318 likes this.
  6. gt347mustang

gt347mustang Well-Known Member Established Member

I've taken several sets to the aluminum salvage station because nobody would buy them for $100. B heads are worthless in my experience.

Dimitri318 likes this.
  7. Nightmare302

Nightmare302 OhChuteRacing Owner Established Member

B heads flow a MASSIVE amount of air, but because of that they have poor velocity in the ports. A set of C heads will out perform B heads across the entire RPM band for 99.9999 percent of vehicles. When you are Mihovetz and are keeping your RPM from 9,000+ low speed velocity doesn't matter. For us, it does. That article has so many fan boys blinded. What a 11,000 RPM 50psi of boost 4.6 needs and what your 7,000 rpm 20psi vehicle need are two MASSIVELY different things.

Plus b heads really means you only have a custom intake or a 96/98 intake as your options.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  8. cobranick01

cobranick01 New Member Established Member

Agree, I have had both heads with 20+lbs of boost. And the c heads outperformed the B heads by a mile. Unless you are spinning the hell out of the motor like mihovetz and want a powerband of 7,000- 10,000 go with B heads. Otherwise stick with c heads

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dimitri318 likes this.
  9. Dimitri318

Ahhh ok this makes sense now, thanks for the clarification guys. From all the stuff I’ve read online I can’t tell what’s actually true and what’s not. Now that you guys explained it like this, I understand, thanks fellas!

10. MG0h3

MG0h3 Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

Can't recall how far he made it but @badcobra snapped a factory rod somewhere up around 1000rwhp I think.

The factory internals are incredibly strong. Do ARP hardware, oil pump gears, pistons to raise the compression and you can go quite a ways past 700.

03' White Snake likes this.