Need some opinions on building a turbo motor

Dimitri318

Established Member
Yea I had a couple too many beers last night when I posted that and just want my damn car back together lol.

Anyhow, I found a teksid block and am ordering rods and pistons next week and slowly do the build the right way. Now to find a set of B heads or some 9 thread heads and start piecing the rest together.

Dimitri318

Established Member
Why B heads?

I read an article where John Mihovetz said they flowed better and were better heads compared to the 03/04 cobra heads. It said they were just a little better but not as good as the GT Supercar heads. I’ll have to find the article and post it.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I think I read that article back in the day. But given the amount of people that are making big power with C heads I guess I don't see the point of trying to track down a set of B heads.

gt347mustang

Established Member
I think I read that article back in the day. But given the amount of people that are making big power with C heads I guess I don't see the point of trying to track down a set of B heads.

I've taken several sets to the aluminum salvage station because nobody would buy them for $100. B heads are worthless in my experience.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
B heads flow a MASSIVE amount of air, but because of that they have poor velocity in the ports. A set of C heads will out perform B heads across the entire RPM band for 99.9999 percent of vehicles. When you are Mihovetz and are keeping your RPM from 9,000+ low speed velocity doesn't matter. For us, it does. That article has so many fan boys blinded. What a 11,000 RPM 50psi of boost 4.6 needs and what your 7,000 rpm 20psi vehicle need are two MASSIVELY different things.

Plus b heads really means you only have a custom intake or a 96/98 intake as your options.

Last edited:

cobranick01

Established Member
B heads flow a MASSIVE amount of air, but because of that they have poor velocity in the ports. A set of C heads will out perform B heads across the entire RPM band for 99.9999 percent of vehicles. When you are Mihovetz and are keeping your RPM from 9,000+ low speed velocity doesn't matter. For us, it does. That article has so many fan boys also blinded. What a 11,000 RPM 50psi of boost 4.6 needs and what your 7,000 rpm 20psi vehicle need are two MASSIVELY different things.

Plus b heads really means you only have a custom intake or a 96/98 intake as your options.
Agree, I have had both heads with 20+lbs of boost. And the c heads outperformed the B heads by a mile. Unless you are spinning the hell out of the motor like mihovetz and want a powerband of 7,000- 10,000 go with B heads. Otherwise stick with c heads

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dimitri318

Established Member
B heads flow a MASSIVE amount of air, but because of that they have poor velocity in the ports. A set of C heads will out perform B heads across the entire RPM band for 99.9999 percent of vehicles. When you are Mihovetz and are keeping your RPM from 9,000+ low speed velocity doesn't matter. For us, it does. That article has so many fan boys blinded. What a 11,000 RPM 50psi of boost 4.6 needs and what your 7,000 rpm 20psi vehicle need are two MASSIVELY different things.

Agree, I have had both heads with 20+lbs of boost. And the c heads outperformed the B heads by a mile. Unless you are spinning the hell out of the motor like mihovetz and want a powerband of 7,000- 10,000 go with B heads. Otherwise stick with c heads

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ahhh ok this makes sense now, thanks for the clarification guys. From all the stuff I’ve read online I can’t tell what’s actually true and what’s not. Now that you guys explained it like this, I understand, thanks fellas!

MG0h3

Established Member
Can't recall how far he made it but @badcobra snapped a factory rod somewhere up around 1000rwhp I think.

The factory internals are incredibly strong. Do ARP hardware, oil pump gears, pistons to raise the compression and you can go quite a ways past 700.

Users who are viewing this thread