Need Some Mid-Pipe Advice for a Convertible

Formula51

Established Member
I currently have stock manifolds, stock catted h-pipe, and Magnaflow catback exhaust.

The car has a nice hum to it with zero rasp and a little burble on deceleration. It sounds good and is quiet enough I can talk to someone or listen to the radio with the top down. However, I wish it sounded great instead of good.

I am okay with a little more noise, but absolutely do not want loud and I still want to be able to hear the radio with the top down. I am looking to give the exhaust some more growl and throatiness/aggressiveness compared to the hum I have now, but there must be no tinny/rasp.

I have read mixed reviews on the aftermarket catted H and X pipes. It appears there have been a lot of catalytic converter failures. I am nervous about going that route vs. just staying with the stock h-pipe.

So, can I accomplish what I want with an offroad H or X pipe? From reading the forums and listening to youtube videos, I have narrowed it down to the following:

UPR O/R X (the least raspy X according to what I read and heard)
MRT O/R H
ProChamber H

If anyone has some advice or personal experience with the above in a convertible, please chime in.

jrichber

browser
Established Member
I have O/R mid pipe and absolutely hate how overly loud mine is. Granite I also have borla catback which is loud anyway. I am thinking of going with a proChamber myself.

SlowSVT

Established Member
There are a lot of kinks in the factory 2 1/4" H pipe. I would stick with a H pipe over an X which will retain the classis "pissed-off" Mustang sound. A 2 1/2" SS catted MRT pipe gets my vote.

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
I had a bassani o/r x on my 01 cobra vert. paired with LM2's...honestly very mellow cruising around. If you lean on gas she will bark on command though. I currently run the bassani x with cats and their extreme catback and it is quieter than my last set up and smooth as a babies bottom. Really enjoying it. Both set ups are louder than factory but very easy to maintain converstions with.

Formula51

Established Member
I had a bassani o/r x on my 01 cobra vert. paired with LM2's...honestly very mellow cruising around. If you lean on gas she will bark on command though. I currently run the bassani x with cats and their extreme catback and it is quieter than my last set up and smooth as a babies bottom. Really enjoying it. Both set ups are louder than factory but very easy to maintain converstions with.

Can you describe the sound of the bassani o/r x and LM2's please. The LM2 mufflers are a straight through design I believe, similar to Magnaflow mufflers. Was there any tinny/rasp sounds? Did it make drone better or worse than the stock mid pipe?

General question for everyone:
Do O/R mid pipes typically increase, reduce or make no difference on cabin drone?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I currently have a Bassani catted X with Borla Stingers. It's loud, but I can hear my stereo and talk to my passenger. Sounds very pissed off when I'm on it. And most people tell me it sounds mean as hell.

Friend of mine has a vert with Flowmasters and a no name O/R H pipe. It sounds pretty good. While cruising it's not too bad at all. And it's noticable when he's on it.

The O/R mid pips can affect cabin drone. The cats also act as mufflers. You can always try a pair of small bullet style mufflers in the O/R pipe to tune the sound to your liking.

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
Can you describe the sound of the bassani o/r x and LM2's please. The LM2 mufflers are a straight through design I believe, similar to Magnaflow mufflers. Was there any tinny/rasp sounds? Did it make drone better or worse than the stock mid pipe?

General question for everyone:
Do O/R mid pipes typically increase, reduce or make no difference on cabin drone?

Honestly it wasnt raspy. I actually ran this set up both catted and o/r. It could pop, on deceleration nicely because of the staight through design (more so o/r setup) but had no drone. It frankly was reasonably quiet cruising because it is soo free flowing but just sounded pissed off when you got on it. Difference between the LM2 and bassani cat-backs for me (both excellent quality) is bassani is quieter overall, less angry at WOT and a smidge more refined. That said if my current ride didn't come with bassani on it i would have done the same lm2 set up again.

Formula51

Established Member
Found some YouTube videos of Magnaflow catback and Bassani O/R X-pipe. Also of Magnaflow O/R X-pipe. Both sound great with no rasp as mentioned here, but you can't really tell overall volume from videos.

Any comments on which fits better? I am lowered on H&R springs and scrape the stock H-pipe flanges over speed bumps so the ability to tuck up nice and tight is critical.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I have a vert and for years ran the stock h, with borla stingers. I thought it was great, but then I put on a bassani catted x and it got so much better. For whatever reason, the exact same combo does not sound quite as good in my coupe, maybe because it the solid roof resonates the sound, I don't know. Anyway I feel like it is a winning combo with my vert. No problems with the cats.

I've also read good thngs about the pro chamber but never tried it, maybe someday

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
i like how my bassani catted x with magnaflow catback sounds, and if you get the one with the offroad flow tubes you can swap the cats in or out if you want it louder. It also fits very nicely and I was able to tuck it up higher then my factory h pipe was.

bigmoose

Established Member
Prochamber

I have a magnaflow catback and along with the prochamber it's going to be exactly what you are looking for.

Formula51

Established Member
Prochamber

I have a magnaflow catback and along with the prochamber it's going to be exactly what you are looking for.

I see a lot of posts and pics of prochamber's hanging low. Maybe this is just install error. Do you have any problem scraping with yours?

bigmoose

Established Member
It's not any lower than my mufflers. My mufflers actually scrape a little and my prochamber doesn't at all.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Try an O/R Prochamber and if its too loud, just add two cats to it. They're the best sounding midpipe for these cars, IMO, Mine sounded good with the Flowmasters and even better with the SSS Adrenaline catback.

Users who are viewing this thread