Need some MACA muscle

ScottinSSMD

gotta 996TT too!
Established Member
I baled on two of three of my personal rental properties due to people like this and mostly the upkeep. Lakehouse got trashed by kids using daddy's card to rent for the week. Carpet and painting alone for a six bedroom house came to $8k every three years. Basement apt was kinda like Jason's people. Excuses every month why they were late. Running credit checks on the next person was invaluable! Found people maxed to the hilt! with black marks so heavy, they were leaving footprints as they walked out of the apt.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
- False

Landlord - Tenant Information

"An eviction is only legal if a deputy sheriff is present, and that officer’s sole responsibility is to keep the peace. A landlord is responsible for providing an adequate number of movers and exercising reasonable care in removing a tenant’s property from a location. Under most circumstances, if a landlord has failed to provide enough movers to conclude an eviction within 2 hours, the eviction will be rescheduled."

"A tenant is usually permitted to remain on scene until all property is removed so long as he/she is not hindering the activities. All personal property except that which may pose a public safety threat is to be placed on the curb of the nearest public roadway and once there it is the tenant’s responsibility to safeguard the property. Once the eviction is completed, the removal of any unclaimed or abandoned property becomes the landlord’s responsibility."

But I'm sure the lawman present at the time will also make that quite clear.

+1

I agree with that... My wife's father owned a apartment building in DC and their laws protect the tenant far more than the landlord... evictions could take up to a year.

False = True i guess? First for me. I oversee 1500 apartment units across 10 communities and we destroy everything. Never been called on it and probably evict in my portfolio 10 people per month. As policy we pretty much destroy the stuff and hack furniture with sawzalls and slash all material. Have never seen a Sheriff care about it.

Reason being we cannot take the risk of other people grabbing the stuff from the street and potentially infesting their apartments with Bed Bugs and Roaches.

Although - I have never seen a resident present at the time of eviction so perhaps that is the reason I have never come across this. Good advise for Jason to follow this here though because the Sheriff's are probably more atuned in a situation with a single family home verses an apartment community.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Lawyer just called me, he found out she has a bankruptcy hearing with Target National and Capital One on the 20th in Anne Arundel District Court. How convenient?

Just went through this and won in Montgomery County. The resident's bankruptcy settlement requires her to pay us $75 per month for a 5K debt. We are getting a check each month from her bankruptcy lawyer so I guess that is a positive thing but it will be forever before we are paid back in full.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Jason, this really blows. The rental business is starting to be such a PITA that it is not worth it anymore. I am considering selling mine in St. Marys. Let me know if there is anything that I can do to help. Maybe take a crew of non-english speaking hispanics over to start doing a major exterior overhaul. Starting with removing all doors and windows.

Users who are viewing this thread