Need some advise

1QWK96GT

Thats what she said
Established Member
Good morning,

I have a question for everyone and was curious how to handle something that recently happened. I have a Jeep Cherokee (4 door XJ) and recently my neighbors tree fell on it crushing the roof. I just got this Jeep and it is not in my name so no registration, tags, insurance, inspection. The Jeep was parked in front of my house on the street curb. The tree fell from their yard and on my roof. You can tell the tree was dead. I just got it running putting a ton of time and money in it.

Is this something that their home owners insurance would or could cover? I am in the state of VA if that helps.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Not a vehicle, but last summer a neighbor’s tree fell and took out the electric service = wires and meter on a rental house I own.

Costs $2000 to repair / replace the service and meter. Neighbor cleaned up the tree.

I submitted a claim with my insurance to go after his insurance, and was told the only way I could collect is if he explicitly knew the tree was dead.
The kicker is he had just bought the house a month before, and had no way of knowing the tree was rotted inside.

Insurance denied the claim and I had to eat the $2000.

FYI this is in Massachusetts.
Start with your agent for your homeowners policy and go from there.

1QWK96GT

Thats what she said
Established Member
I just for the first time was able to tell the neighbor and their response is "what are you doing with all those cars over there" and "I am not made of money" also they had their arms folded which isnt a good sign. I will admit I work on cars OFTEN (usually my own as I go through cars/have a car addiction or helping someone) so there is always something parked in front of my home sometimes with tags and sometimes without. Maybe now she can start calling police on untagged cars in the road. Maybe its best if I keep my mouth shut. I dont know what to do.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Thank you very much! Thats why I was told was that if they knew it was dead then would be covered.

The typical standard is known or reasonably should have known of the defect. It the tree could be easily observed to be obviously dead that would meet the burden. I'd get all the photographic evidence you can find. However, if you aren't willing to sue them then there's no point worrying about it.

I just for the first time was able to tell the neighbor and their response is "what are you doing with all those cars over there" and "I am not made of money" also they had their arms folded which isnt a good sign. I will admit I work on cars OFTEN (usually my own as I go through cars/have a car addiction or helping someone) so there is always something parked in front of my home sometimes with tags and sometimes without. Maybe now she can start calling police on untagged cars in the road. Maybe its best if I keep my mouth shut. I dont know what to do.

Stop breaking the law and there won't be an issue.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Your homeowners isn't going to do anything about their tree falling on your car.

How long have you owned the car? Company/state dependent, they give you a grace period from when you purchase the car to when it needs to be added to the policy (backdating to the time of purchase). If you have comprehensive on any of your other cars it extends to a newly purchased vehicle, which would offer coverage in this situation.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Your homeowners isn't going to do anything about their tree falling on your car.

How long have you owned the car? Company/state dependent, they give you a grace period from when you purchase the car to when it needs to be added to the policy (backdating to the time of purchase). If you have comprehensive on any of your other cars it extends to a newly purchased vehicle, which would offer coverage in this situation.
+1

Missouri is 10 days.

Sent from my Potato

1QWK96GT

Thats what she said
Established Member

Got it just before Christmas 12/23 and have a bill of sale.

beau t

Established Member
Guy at work had 1 of his trees drop on a neighbors house, they ruled it as a storm or something of that nature and his insurance company refused to pay out, good luck with whatever you decide to do. In SC

1QWK96GT

Thats what she said
Established Member
This is why you call your insurance company as soon as you purchase a vehicle and carry some sort of coverage. My guess is it's not worth much, since you didn't bother. Part it out on Craigslist and consider it a lesson learned.
The Jeep is probably worth $1600 at best before the tree fell on it. I put a ton of labor into it which is what really upset me.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
The Jeep is probably worth $1600 at best before the tree fell on it. I put a ton of labor into it which is what really upset me.
Obviously it won’t hurt to call your insurance and see what they say. But at $1600 I would part out what’s left and forget about it. At least it wasn’t some fancy $40k restored jeep.

rborden

Established Member
Their policy does not cover their tree from their property falling onto your vehicle. You will make a claim through your auto insurance. You don’t want to make this claim on your HO policy as your premiums will be affected.

1QWK96GT

Thats what she said
Established Member
Obviously it won’t hurt to call your insurance and see what they say. But at $1600 I would part out what’s left and forget about it. At least it wasn’t some fancy $40k restored jeep.
Yea thats the route I was going to take. It is a super cheap vehicle that I was building to make it a trail jeep just wasn't ready for the roof to get crushed. lol.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
This doesn't help now, but you should have comprehensive insurance on everything you care about.

Users who are viewing this thread