Need some Advice on fueling

03' White Snake

Established Member
While I like the return setup better for many reasons, there are zero issues tuning them in a returnless system. I do my own tuning and have never had an issue doing them, and I have tuned hundreds of them over the years. Sounds like your tuner didn't know what he was doing.
Ehh, we have different opinions on that. But anyway.

What's your opinion on how much CR you can safely run on 93 with a stock computer?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Ehh, we have different opinions on that. But anyway.

What's your opinion on how much CR you can safely run on 93 with a stock computer?
Well since I know these cars inside and out and have tuned them since they started building them, I would say I not only understand the platform, the ECU programming, and how they were made to operate, I use Actual data and experience. So I do not even consider what my belief is as an "Opinion". It's fact. Period. There is really no discussion.

Anyway, your question is not even close to give enough information to give a correct answer. There are many more factors to consider than what you mentioned. Boost, Cam Timing, Overlap, Operating temp, Blower Compressor Map, Compressor Rotor Size, Compressor Design, Heat Rejection, Intercooler Efficiency, Etc... I could go on but I will stop there.

Also, what does the stock ECU have to do with that?

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
You don't want to fool around with old fuel pumps that's for sure. On my build, my biggest issue I ran into was heat soaked fuel. Start off with new pumps for sure and a good set of injectors like others mentioned. Oh, and get with @04sleeper to give it thee touch. He made my car so much fun on E85!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

fairlady2jz

Established Member
If you have the FIC's then I wouldn't even mess with the 80's. We're using FIC's in my son's car and they're nice. I had the 80's on a big bore set up and while they worked, they weren't as nice as the ID's and FIC's.

I had one of the first units. There were some issues with it and they ended up replacing it later on. I think at this point most, if not all, of the bugs have been worked out.
I've read some mix reviews about the deka 80s as if they don't offer as good of an idle quality cause of the single jet spray pattern but also have read that for the money they are hard to beat in the 80# size. I have 60# dekas in my 03 SB on 93 and I do get at times a stumble at start up for like a sec or 2. After that they feel fine.

And for the fic's 1000cc I've read overwhelmingly good reviews with few saying that at times they've encountered minor injector data being off.

fairlady2jz

Established Member
You don't want to fool around with old fuel pumps that's for sure. On my build, my biggest issue I ran into was heat soaked fuel. Start off with new pumps for sure and a good set of injectors like others mentioned. Oh, and get with @04sleeper to give it thee touch. He made my car so much fun on E85!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Yeah good pumps and injectors are a must. Definitely makes life much easier when it comes to tuning.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Well since I know these cars inside and out and have tuned them since they started building them, I would say I not only understand the platform, the ECU programming, and how they were made to operate, I use Actual data and experience. So I do not even consider what my belief is as an "Opinion". It's fact. Period. There is really no discussion.

Anyway, your question is not even close to give enough information to give a correct answer. There are many more factors to consider than what you mentioned. Boost, Cam Timing, Overlap, Operating temp, Blower Compressor Map, Compressor Rotor Size, Compressor Design, Heat Rejection, Intercooler Efficiency, Etc... I could go on but I will stop there.

Also, what does the stock ECU have to do with that?
I won’t hijack this thread. Was just asking because coyotes and newer Fords are running much higher compression from the factory, 10.5-11.5 with 18-19 lbs of boost (eco boost F-150’s), there must be some new features in the computers to compensate for this over an ancient cobra computer. Didn’t know I would need blower rotor size and design. Just was looking for your opinion as to when I see guys building high CR motors and thinking they are going to run 93 on them, like to give them the correct answer. Mine is 10.3 and runs on E85 all the time and I am fine with that.

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I won’t hijack this thread. Was just asking because coyotes and newer Fords are running much higher compression from the factory, 10.5-11.5 with 18-19 lbs of boost (eco boost F-150’s), there must be some new features in the computers to compensate for this over an ancient cobra computer. Didn’t know I would need blower rotor size and design. Just was looking for your opinion as to when I see guys building high CR motors and thinking they are going to run 93 on them, like to give them the correct answer. Mine is 10.3 and runs on E85 all the time and I am fine with that.
EcoBoost is a smaller engine with variable cam timing and knock sensors that actually work. Along with having factory widebands onboard and running in open loop to be able to make corrections quickly. With the variable timing, they also use HDFX with multiple timing tables based on different cam positions that switch based on conditions. This is what allows them to run more CR.

You really have to calculate static compression to determine boost level safely. This would take into account piston CR, along with cam timing and overlap. Then you could calculate how much boost you could potentially run on 93.

Higher CR works well on a lot of applications so you don't have to spin the blower as hard (ie, more heat) yet still yield the same static CR. The more CR, the less boost you need to achieve the same static CR.

Hope this helps.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I've read some mix reviews about the deka 80s as if they don't offer as good of an idle quality cause of the single jet spray pattern but also have read that for the money they are hard to beat in the 80# size. I have 60# dekas in my 03 SB on 93 and I do get at times a stumble at start up for like a sec or 2. After that they feel fine.

And for the fic's 1000cc I've read overwhelmingly good reviews with few saying that at times they've encountered minor injector data being off.
I ran the 80's on an old set up and they did ok. I found out some tricks to make them better. Having a larger engine definitely helped. But they were designed with racing in mind.

For the 60's your tune needs to be tweaked. They should fire up like stock. Especially with pump gas.

I haven't delved that deeply into the FIC's. I'll admit to it taking a bit to figure out how to input the data into his computer. But it's been pretty smooth since then.

fairlady2jz

Established Member
EcoBoost is a smaller engine with variable cam timing and knock sensors that actually work. Along with having factory widebands onboard and running in open loop to be able to make corrections quickly. With the variable timing, they also use HDFX with multiple timing tables based on different cam positions that switch based on conditions. This is what allows them to run more CR.

You really have to calculate static compression to determine boost level safely. This would take into account piston CR, along with cam timing and overlap. Then you could calculate how much boost you could potentially run on 93.

Higher CR works well on a lot of applications so you don't have to spin the blower as hard (ie, more heat) yet still yield the same static CR. The more CR, the less boost you need to achieve the same static CR.

Hope this helps.
Are you messing with the ms3 on the termis now or just strictly factory ecu? And if so do you like the ms3?

fairlady2jz

Established Member
I ran the 80's on an old set up and they did ok. I found out some tricks to make them better. Having a larger engine definitely helped. But they were designed with racing in mind.

For the 60's your tune needs to be tweaked. They should fire up like stock. Especially with pump gas.

I haven't delved that deeply into the FIC's. I'll admit to it taking a bit to figure out how to input the data into his computer. But it's been pretty smooth since then.
Yeah my 03 SB definitely needs a revisit on the tune. I believe it's atleast 5+ years old might need a touch up.

Yeah I've heard the injector data is crucial specially if you want the full benefits of the more expensive injectors.

I have another 4v in a fox with a holley hp and turbo. Motor is 12 to 1 compression, 120lb holley inejectors on e85 and I might try out the fic 1000cc first on that motor to see how I like them cause that will let me know if i decide to just fork up the money for the ID's or stay with fic's. The holley 120lbs I feel like they are no good, I think they dont tolerate e85 good at all.

fairlady2jz

Established Member
Yeah them coyotes are something else with that high compression and boost. Extremely efficient compared to our old 4.6s

fairlady2jz

Established Member
Yes, been doing some Holley as well. Cool platforms, but all really similar, just learning the different software.
Awesome we might have to talk sometime later about your tuning services. I been looking for competent tuners with 4v's in the south east florida area and really have not seen much that makes me feel confident they'll do a good job

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Awesome we might have to talk sometime later about your tuning services. I been looking for competent tuners with 4v's in the south east florida area and really have not seen much that makes me feel confident they'll do a good job
Funny you mention that, one of my best friends lives in WPB and knows Holley and MegaSquirt better than anyone I know. He is the one that is helping me with the new platforms.

fairlady2jz

Established Member
Funny you mention that, one of my best friends lives in WPB and knows Holley and MegaSquirt better than anyone I know. He is the one that is helping me with the new platforms.
Ok cool, once I'm ready I'll get in touch and work something out with you and your friend to figure out who can tune the cars. I know business is business.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Will do btw just a final question since you tune cars and probably seen many combos. Do you know anything on them holley 120lbs injectors? Are they even remotely decent?
I have not tuned them personally. I have tuned plenty of ID and FIC and FRPP injectors. All have good data and work well

Users who are viewing this thread