Need Input Prior to Buying 2014 GT500

Cobra-Master

Established Member
Hi all... I need some input. I'm looking at a 2014 GT500 with the SVT Performance Package and Track Package that is for sale for $49K. It has 16K miles and the car is in excellent condition, it doesn't appear to have ever even been driven on wet roads, etc.

My concern is that I've been out of the SVT world for some time... my last notable SVT was a 2003 SVT Terminator that I owned for many years, but had to sell it in 2008. I'm interested in the 2013/2014 GT500's as I've read their story is similar to the 2003/2004 Terminator (limited run, etc).

The reason I'm asking is that we had all kinds of problems out of our 2003 Terminator due to the "newness" of many of the featuresa (we had major throw out bearing / clutch issues that took forever for Ford to acknowledge and fix).

Are there any pitfalls that I need to watch for when looking at this car? The dealer has a hold on it for a few days, and I'd really like everyone's input. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Cobra-Master

Established Member
IMG_0240.JPG
IMG_0264.JPG
A few pics

Attachments

• IMG_0237.JPG
    IMG_0237.JPG
    817.4 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0235.JPG
    IMG_0235.JPG
    809.9 KB · Views: 164

MastaAce03

Established Member
There aren't any issues with the 13/14s. Most people replace the shifter with a mgw and change the tires out. Looks like that car is being sold by car max, they don't sell anything but factory specd cars so it shouldn't have an after market tune of any sort but worth asking the question anyways. There are better deals out there to be honest. Keep looking. Black is the most common color, so if it is black you're looking for, there won't be any issue finding one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cobra-Master

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback... much appreciated. To be honest, I'm in south Texas and the 2013 and 2014 GT500's are hard to find, especially ones that have not already been modified, thus why I'm having trouble finding a better deal.

MastaAce03

Established Member

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Really these cars are solid, have few known issues and respond to mods very well.
If it passes your inspection, definitely go for it, it's the last of its kind---big stroke, stick shift, stick axle.
-J

1971mach1

Established Member
OP, I have had mine since 7-2012 and it now has 13k miles on it. I have done 13-15 track days with it with no problems. I do not take it easy on it but do change all the fluids on it very often. I have kept it stock under the hood except for a JLT oil separator. It is rock solid and I am very happy with it. You will be too.

blue 07

Established Member
Having bought 13 GT500 this past year, you will not be disappointed ! Keep looking around before you pull the trigger. Check Autotrader, and other websites first, Google "GT 500 for sale", etc etc. I found mine by a guy that had to get rid of ASAP because of a divorce and got a great deal. Travel if you have to, to get what you really want. Have it checked out first if needed to satisfy your brain from your last terminator issues. Good luck.

CV355

_
Established Member
The only issue I had with mine is that some dumbass engineer at Ford/SVT designed in an over-center spring into the clutch pedal. Tear that God-awful thing out in 5 minutes and it's issue free :)

Seriously - whoever designed that spring in needs to get slapped hard.

Cobra-Master

Established Member
Thanks for the great feedback everyone. I think I'm going to go check this car out further... is there a way to check the PCM to see if it's ever been tuned or modified? Can only a Ford dealer that can do that, or is it easier to do with someone else?

Cobra-Master

Established Member
The only issue I had with mine is that some dumbass engineer at Ford/SVT designed in an over-center spring into the clutch pedal. Tear that God-awful thing out in 5 minutes and it's issue free :)

Seriously - whoever designed that spring in needs to get slapped hard.

What is the purpose of the spring, and why are people removing them?

Cobra-Master

Established Member
Having bought 13 GT500 this past year, you will not be disappointed ! Keep looking around before you pull the trigger. Check Autotrader, and other websites first, Google "GT 500 for sale", etc etc. I found mine by a guy that had to get rid of ASAP because of a divorce and got a great deal. Travel if you have to, to get what you really want. Have it checked out first if needed to satisfy your brain from your last terminator issues. Good luck.

Thanks... yes, my previous experience with the throw out bearing on my 2003 Terminator was nuts. Ford kept replacing other parts which was more expensive than just replacing the TOB. One time while it was at the dealer torn apart for an engine issue, someone actually stole the stock Eaton supercharger out of the Ford shop... and then the Ford tech left the door open while lowering it on the lift and tore the door off... just bad experiences all along with Ford, not all related to a Terminator though, just incompetent dealers.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Get the Vin # and any Ford Dealer can run you a Free Oasis Report. Do that before buying. Good Luck, you will really like the car.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Get the Vin # and any Ford Dealer can run you a Free Oasis Report. Do that before buying. Good Luck, you will really like the car.
x2
I wouldn't buy a used Ford without one. It will show all the repairs/service/issues done at the dealer.
I sold my '04 Cobra to a guy out of town and he had questions regarding paint work and the cooling system. I hadn't had any service done, but he could see the thermostat gasket was replaced for a leak and one of the ground effects had been re-sprayed prior to me purchasing the car new, I hadn't even known.
So, the OASIS can help a lot. Good luck.
-J

Clemson

Established Member
Other than it should have come with better tires and a louder blower, havent had any issues. Only recall is for the mother ****ing airbag inflator which effects almost every car built over the last 5 years.

CV355

_
Established Member
What is the purpose of the spring, and why are people removing them?

It is an over-center spring that supposedly makes the clutch pedal easier to operate (reduces necessary pressure to hold clutch in open position).

What it does is catapult your foot off the pedal right at the friction zone. It gives an awful disconnected feel. Some people have reported it sticking during high rpm shifts- I experienced this once. I was constantly stalling out (I get going gently) with that damn spring in there. Since I yanked it- once.

The fix? You reach under, disconnect the cruise control sensor, release the cable end from the pedal, pull the spring, retainers, and pins out, and reassemble the pedal. Takes about 10 minutes, $0. BEST thing I have done to the car by far.

Clemson

Established Member
It is an over-center spring that supposedly makes the clutch pedal easier to operate (reduces necessary pressure to hold clutch in open position).

What it does is catapult your foot off the pedal right at the friction zone. It gives an awful disconnected feel. Some people have reported it sticking during high rpm shifts- I experienced this once. I was constantly stalling out (I get going gently) with that damn spring in there. Since I yanked it- once.

The fix? You reach under, disconnect the cruise control sensor, release the cable end from the pedal, pull the spring, retainers, and pins out, and reassemble the pedal. Takes about 10 minutes, $0. BEST thing I have done to the car by far.
Yea that spring is pretty horrible - helps on hills I guess, but thats about it. The feeling is terrible. Havent gotten around to mine yet.

CV355

_
Established Member
Yea that spring is pretty horrible - helps on hills I guess, but thats about it. The feeling is terrible. Havent gotten around to mine yet.

You won't regret it. I held off doing mine out of stubbornness (needed to conquer it before I yank it out). Should have yanked the thing out day one.

I've run a bunch of vehicles and motorcycles with varying styles of clutches/pedals, but damn this thing was the worst at first. Without the spring, it was wonderful

Users who are viewing this thread