Need input on weed/grass killer

slow06

Established Member
I had an above ground pool put in last year. I am having a problem getting rid of the weeds and grass around it, also not far from the pool Ivy vines are starting to grow. I was wondering if anyone knew of a product that would destroy everything so it will not return as easy.

I have used roundup and it did not work that great.

Thanks for any input.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You definitely want something stronger that a consumer level herbicide.

I had never heard of Pramitol, but from what I found through Google, it works well. Here's a video.

[youtube_browser]iRBtrFvJXIU[/youtube_browser]

YJSONLY

Established Member
Round up or Honcho. Please do not go to Home Depot or lowes after it. You need to find an agriculture supply warehouse.

slow06

Established Member
Thanks for the info everyone. I am most likely going to order Pramitol. If that does not work, than I will have to bust out the blowtorch lol. I just do not want to set my deck on fire. :lol:

01GTB

Established Member
Tractor Supply should have it on the shelf. Any local ag supply place should as well. You may need to make two apps about 3 weeks apart to get complete control.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
+1 on Tractor Supply.

The active ingredient in Round Up is Glyphosate. Pramitol will kill weeds, but it's more effective as a ground sterilizing agent.

Make a mix of both, and add a bit of dish soap if neither advertises having a 'surfactant' in their mix.

If you want to spare the grass, Weed-B-Gon will kill most everything except grass.

One thing about Glyphosate I see is that you don't see results quickly, it takes a few weeks to get the job done. Weed-B-Gon shows results a lot faster because there's a hormone in it that tells the plant to grow out of control. There's not enough cell structure in the plant to support this growth so the plant seems to be wilting.

Get the 41% from Tractor Supply and mix with water; I go a bit heavy on the Glyphosate. One thing to remember, Glyphosate kills at pretty much the same rate regardless of the concentration. The concentration comes in when you're trying to kill really tough weeds (read the label; it'll tell you what needs what conc.)

Want it to act faster? Spray today and water the weeds tomorrow.

BTW, I use Pramitol in driveway cracks and such as it prevents future growth.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
+1 on Tractor Supply.

The active ingredient in Round Up is Glyphosate. Pramitol will kill weeds, but it's more effective as a ground sterilizing agent.

Make a mix of both, and add a bit of dish soap if neither advertises having a 'surfactant' in their mix.

If you want to spare the grass, Weed-B-Gon will kill most everything except grass.

One thing about Glyphosate I see is that you don't see results quickly, it takes a few weeks to get the job done. Weed-B-Gon shows results a lot faster because there's a hormone in it that tells the plant to grow out of control. There's not enough cell structure in the plant to support this growth so the plant seems to be wilting.

Get the 41% from Tractor Supply and mix with water; I go a bit heavy on the Glyphosate. One thing to remember, Glyphosate kills at pretty much the same rate regardless of the concentration. The concentration comes in when you're trying to kill really tough weeds (read the label; it'll tell you what needs what conc.)

This. But instead of dishsoap(to sticky, too much suds) use dishwasher soap.

SuperBlownGT

Forever CoBro!
Established Member
Glystar will kill everything with a vengeance :fm:

And it to is available at tractor supply or agi supply which we have plenty of in nc lol

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
+1 on Tractor Supply.

Do you know how far away from plants/shrubs you can use the Round-Up or Pramitol? I have to use Round Up on Friday to kill weeds growing in my new landscaped area but I am concerned that watering or rain will spread the stuff to then harm my good plantings.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
Do you know how far away from plants/shrubs you can use the Round-Up or Pramitol? I have to use Round Up on Friday to kill weeds growing in my new landscaped area but I am concerned that watering or rain will spread the stuff to then harm my good plantings.

I may be wrong but I think round up is inert once it hits the soil

wht93gted

Established Member
Harbor Freight Blowtorch.

Propane Torch

I used that exact one about 2 weeks ago for this exact purpose. It was terrifying. It's like a god damned afterburner; shooting a 4' flame.

When it hits the ground the flame spreads in all directions in a giant circle...needless to say I almost burned down everything around me. That's when I gave up with that option and just soaked everything in roundup.

What we used to do when I worked landscaping was mix RoundUp(to kill the roots) and Scythe(kill the foliage). On a hot day, Scythe would kill green things in less than 10 minutes, mixed with RoundUp, weeds wouldn't come back for some time.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member

Glyphosate is only effective on the foliage, it gets bound up in contact with soil.

I spot-spray in my garden all the time. On weeds in close with plants I want to keep, I put a rock on the weed, bending it away from the plant, and spray the weed alone. I move the rock the next day and water the weed.

Pramitol is another matter; it will travel through the soil. (Looking up 'Scythe' now)

One thing about the blow torch idea- if you don't kill the roots, I'd guess that the weed would be back in a couple of weeks.

Does sound like fun, though.

For larger areas, you could mount a turkey fryer upside down on a mower deck.

Last edited:

01GTB

Established Member
Scythe is a contact herbicide mainly made of fatty acids. Organic and burns the top of the plant down in a big hurry if you need visual results. It's fairly safe to use around anything as long as you don't spray it directly. Works good in gardens. Sometimes it will not destroy the weed or grass completely since it is a contact killer. Mixed with gly it gives you a quick burn and a pretty much guaranteed kill. It is relatively expensive to use all the time.

I personally would not use any soil sterilizer around any plants. Use a quality pre emergent to stop most future weeds near plants and shrubs. Snapshot works real well, but for a price. Glyphosate is relatively safe around most shrubs. Read the label and watch drift. Glyphosate can even be used over-the-top on some plants at low rates. I do it all the time on juniper. You do need to know what you are doing and test for tolerance before ever trying that though. The number of plants completely tolerant is very small.

YJSONLY

Established Member
We have a massive weed burner. It's on a trailer with a 500 gal propane tank. With 2 liquid burners on it. And FYI most of what you guys burn with is vapor. Liquid expands 244 times to vapor. Ie the liquid burner is hot!

slow06

Established Member
I will head over to a Tractor supply today. Thanks for all the advice. I used round up about a month and a half ago, it did kill a lot of the weeds, but it seems they have grown back more aggressive and at a faster rate.

One of my concerns is, some of these weeds are next to the pool and I am concerned it will grow under the pool and try to come up the liner.

I have wrote down all the brands you have recommended. I will see what they have and most likely get a jug of each to see what works best.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
+1 on Tractor Supply.

^This.
Only difference is I started useing Eliminator instead of roundup.
Same active ingredient (Glyphosate) but more strength and cost a little less.

If I really want to kill,
Per gallon of water= 2oz Roundup (Eliminator), 2oz Tuff stuff (From tractor supply) 2oz of 2-4D and 2 oz of weed be gone.

Hope you like dirt.

Users who are viewing this thread