Need input on Navi engine swap

TeddyKGB

Drunk on Power
Established Member
So to make a long story short my father-in-law had a Navigator that the engine took a dump and is likely toast. The SUV itself is in pretty good shape and it would be a nice little upgrade from my current DD, a Taurus wagon. I think he is basically almost going to give me the SUV.

How much would a new 5.4L SOHC engine swap run me? It looks like Tousely has it @ $3700 for a new one. I'd guess labor to swap them out would by $1K?

Should I look at finding a used 5.4L engine to swap in there and what would be a good price? ANy input at all would be helpful.

NeverFastEngh

Established Member
You need to keep it DOHC, it will be a pain to take it from DOHC to SOHC. You can rebuild the engine in there relativeley cheap. Or get a SOHC short block and swap heads. We have rebuilt 5 this year, its alot cheaper than you would think.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
You need to keep it DOHC, it will be a pain to take it from DOHC to SOHC. You can rebuild the engine in there relativeley cheap. Or get a SOHC short block and swap heads. We have rebuilt 5 this year, its alot cheaper than you would think.

I am thinking he has a 98 or an early 99 before they went DOHC.

I would like to know how he is going to put this in a Taurus wagon?:dw:

FWD smallish engine bay??? DERRR??:shrug:

Or is this a tube chassis gutted and tubed rear drive conversion?

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
I am thinking he has a 98 or an early 99 before they went DOHC.

I would like to know how he is going to put this in a Taurus wagon?:dw:

FWD smallish engine bay??? DERRR??:shrug:

Or is this a tube chassis gutted and tubed rear drive conversion?

I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about swapping the blown-up/trashed 5.4 currently in the Navigator for a new, better running 5.4.

Although a 5.4 Taurus wagon has some potential.... :lol:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Jeremy, I'd give Wiseguy a call on this one. My 2000 Expedition recently blew a head gasket and we priced out all the repair options, one of which was to install a new motor in it. We ended up just replacing the head gaskets and repairing the other issues that were associated with it.

TRBO VNM

Jeremy,

Give me a call. If you opt to swap motors, I would definitely get it done for you for less than you are thinking.

Btw, congrats on Parker staying another yr. Hope he stays healthy to have a successful baseball career.

TeddyKGB

Drunk on Power
Established Member
LOL Jimmy...a 5.4L Triton in a 01 Taurus makes one hell of a sleeper. Just need to throw a blower on there, some DR's and I'd be set!

THe Navi is a 01 as well so IIRC the 5.4L Triton engine was a SOHC back then. The original engine had a bearing issue that made it sound like a old diesel engine. It had a 193K miles on it when it gave out so I was thinking between the wear and tear of 193K and living the last 20K miles with a bad bearing that the internals just might be toast.

But I am far from the expert on this so if rebuilding it would suit me just fine for a DD then I might just look at that route. I only work 7 miles from my house so it wouldnt need to be up to taking a bunch of miles each year.

Any ideas how much I'd be looking at for a complete rebuild of the engine?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
LOL! Sorry!

01s are DOHC, 1999 1/2 and up(till 04) all are DOHC.

The most common failure mode is burned exhaust valves on 7 and 8, which will eventually produce a nasty skip.

The rebuilds from FORD are an outstanding value and bring a SERIOUS warranty.

If you rebuild be prepared to buy some valves and a guide job, as well as the normal stuff.

These engines have the same hot exhaust guide issues as our cars with a very similar head design.
The problem is many, many owners have cheaped out and run regular gas, when they NEED premium! This results in detonation and that wipes out exhaust valves.

The wifey drives our DOHC 99 and has about 80K on it, always running 93 only.

It has been absolutely flawless, we LOVE this truck!

I would go new with the warranty and keep it and drive the wheels off of it.

BTW Navi trivia:
The 98 through 2004 all have the 4R100 big transmission(uber stout), which is the same as the power strokes, Expeditions were not available with this trans even as an option.(I'm pretty sure...):coolman:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread