Need info!! Ported CJ intake vs Ported Boss setup!

Voltwings

Established Member
I would agree that there would be a 20whp difference between a max effort one of each if you are comparing them based off CFM. But i can tell you that these motors DO NOT use all of that extra flow. IMO... the only gains would come from an 85mm to 90mm opening. Anything after that is really unnecessary because the motor doesnt demand it. Hell on the lsx platform, unless you are making more then 600whp NA, there is no point to any bigger then a 96mm TB.

And btw... I already make 455whp with an untouched boss intake, stock TB, and small air intake. I believe ill be pulling 20whp out of the boss setup. Cams will get me more then enough to cover 500whp.

While i agree that making horsepower is "similar enough" across the board, can we really compare the LSx platform to the Coyote? Despite the fact that Lsx motors are very capable of making big NA power, they do so at much lower rpms, and are much larger engines. Naturally a larger engine will pull a stronger vacuum (i may start talking out of my ass at this point, its all "theory") so it will take longer for a throttle body to become a noticeable restriction. On our smaller, higher revving platform, i feel that smaller restrictions become much noticeable much sooner.

BPatterson

Established Member
So what we've thought before, that larger TB's were a waste on these cars, is that now defunct? Meaning someone like me, with a stock TB, small JLT CAI, and ported Boss. How much could I theoretically gain going to a 90mm TB and the Airaid intake? It seems like on stock heads/cams, the engine wouldn't be able to utilize that much extra air. Am I right in ASSuming that?

boduke0220

Established Member
So what we've thought before, that larger TB's were a waste on these cars, is that now defunct? Meaning someone like me, with a stock TB, small JLT CAI, and ported Boss. How much could I theoretically gain going to a 90mm TB and the Airaid intake? It seems like on stock heads/cams, the engine wouldn't be able to utilize that much extra air. Am I right in ASSuming that?

Idk if I'd call it defunct, most people on this forum don't care about 7 hp here..11 hp there..5 hp over here etc. But if you want to squeeze all you can out of these motors na you have to take a look at everything. Like shaun, doesn't have longtubes or a driveshaft and makes 450rw on pump. He has a lot of small stuff like porting the intake..clutch and flywheel..lighter wheels..etc it all adds up.

BPatterson

Established Member
I'm staying NA, maybe a little bit of nitrous later, but no forced induction for sure. I have a Mcleod RXT and lightened billet steel flywheel ready to go in, just gotta quit being lazy. You're right though, it all adds up.

EJR

Established Member

You wont get anything out of a 90mm TB because you cant open up the inlet of the boss intake enough. 85mm, however, you can. And while the airaid is the biggest SHELF intake you can buy....i still think there will be gains in going custom 4". I plan on going from stock boss intake, stock tb, C&L Air intake (78mm) to a ported boss, 85mm TB, 4-4.5" air intake all in one shot. I was simply using 90mm as what I think the max size you would see a gain up till. These motors do not need 110mm TB/inlets to achieve max power. If you started to approach 600whp NA, then it may start to be a benefit.

Current numbers are 450-455, 390-395 pending air quality all SAE. I expect ill be seeing a solid 20whp gain all together. More is bonus.

At that point, ill focus more on drivetrain efficiency to get to 480... then likely some comp cams to make 520-525whp...all pump gas.

Last edited:

jjd975

Established Member
I'd like to see a back to back max boss vs cj as well. From what I've seen from the guys who that have made the switch from boss to cj have jumped from 420-430 to 450+ rwhp. Granted, they probably didn't switch from a ported boss manifold and 90mm tb. Imo that's all tb. If I thought I could reach the 500 mark with my boss manifold, cams, and exhaust, I'd keep it. I don't see that happening though, 470 at best on 93 octane.

I don't have the link but I thought jpc made 507 with the boss intake and a set of cams on 93. Want to say they made close to 470-480 with stock intake.

jjd975

Established Member
Google jpc cams... should be first story. Its a svt forum thread

My bad car has ported heads. Sorry

Last edited:

EJR

Established Member
That car was the first one to do it.... its possible to make more then that. That was a simple build

Deranged2013

Established Member
Google jpc cams... should be first story. Its a svt forum thread

My bad car has ported heads. Sorry

Yeah, I did see where JPC and Revauto hit 500 with Boss manifold and JPC regrinds. Can be done but less than a hand full have done it. Same Revauto car has a video of them switching form the Boss manifold to a CJ with custom CAI. The switch added 20hp and 11tq. Most folks above 500 now are running the CJ set-up, so although 20 hp may not be worth the extra $$ you would have to spend for the CJ stuff, it's still the best option for a max effort NA build.

When it's all said and done, one probably will not feel the power difference between the two max effort builds. Only a dyno will see the difference. Looking forward to seeing some track times with both set-ups maxed out. Also looking forward to seeing Evans finished product.

Voltwings

Established Member
i'd be willing to bet Shaun@aed has tuned quite a few of each of these setups and may have some datalogs saved. I know its asking a lot, but if he's willing to put in the work, on my previous platform we used virtual dyno with great success. If the logs were taken on a flat, smooth road with no wheel spin, and the correct information is put it, the results were often within 3-5 whp/wtq of an actual dyno. Numbers aside however, i believe this will allow us to see the curve differences between these intakes which should be the main difference.

http://www.virtualdyno.net/

This is a great device to monitor and track gains when used correctly, i highly recommend yall try it out. Since its free (they appreciate donations) it could be an easy cheap way to quickly start tracking the differences once people get the hang of using it.

At the very least its maybe a step in the right direction instead of all this "on paper" stuff.

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
I posted this in a different thread...
GtvsBossvsCobraJet.jpg

courtesy of
www.mustang50magazine.com

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread