Need info!! Ported CJ intake vs Ported Boss setup!

BPatterson

Established Member
This is a very interesting read for me. I just converted to e85 a few months ago, and while installing the injectors, I went ahead and ported my boss im. Super easy to do with a dremel, and it was free. I have a JLT cai, and am now wondering if it's even more of a hindrance since porting the Boss. I'd love to go the CJ route, but right now it's not financially feasible for me to. If I were to get a CJ, I'd port it as well. I can build my own CAI, so that's not a problem. But what about the TB? It looks like the mono blade makes more power than the gt500 TB. I have access to a gt500 TB for very cheap. Could into port it, and be close to what a mono blade would make?

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
If you port the intake manifold...you will gain everywhere as well. I read a good articale on the 2 intakes compared side by side. The only difference is the tb and plenum entrance. Everything else is identical. The powerband changes would have to come solely from whatever changes are in the tb and plenum entry. The runners are clones to each other.

Would it be possible to post the article or its location... Thanks

EJR

Established Member
This is a very interesting read for me. I just converted to e85 a few months ago, and while installing the injectors, I went ahead and ported my boss im. Super easy to do with a dremel, and it was free. I have a JLT cai, and am now wondering if it's even more of a hindrance since porting the Boss. I'd love to go the CJ route, but right now it's not financially feasible for me to. If I were to get a CJ, I'd port it as well. I can build my own CAI, so that's not a problem. But what about the TB? It looks like the mono blade makes more power than the gt500 TB. I have access to a gt500 TB for very cheap. Could into port it, and be close to what a mono blade would make?
The JLT is absolutely robbing some power. It is just way too small.
Would it be possible to post the article or its location... Thanks

It was in one of the 5.0 Magazines.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

your much better off with a PJ CAI. it was made for the boss IM.

byeofcr

Established Member
Did or has any messed with those fins in the opening of the manifold after the tb?

EJR

Established Member
Is that the only difference between a Parnelli Jones edition and regular airaid is the coupler and carbon fiber? All other dimensions are the same?

The dimensions arent the same which is why they use different couplers.

4VFTW

Established Member
As far as diameter I'm not sure but the shape is different because the TB is mounted at a different angle on the Boss. Regardless the PJ is not needed.

BPatterson

Established Member
Exactly what I needed to know. Now....there are like 6 different models listed on airaid's site for the GT. Which one is recommended?

EJR

Established Member
so does anyone have any information on the original subject?

Deranged2013

Established Member
I think the only advantage the CJ has over the Boss Manifold is the larger plenum and TB options. If you had a TB for the BOSS manifold that would flow as much air as the SCJ mono blade (1797cfm), then the Boss would have similar gains. Since the plenum size on the boss is much smaller it would be impossible to flow anywhere near those kind of #s. So for that reason alone, I don't think a max effort Boss set-up can match up. You will always be 20 to 30 hp short of what the CJ can do.

Deranged2013

Established Member
I'd like to see a back to back max boss vs cj as well. From what I've seen from the guys who that have made the switch from boss to cj have jumped from 420-430 to 450+ rwhp. Granted, they probably didn't switch from a ported boss manifold and 90mm tb. Imo that's all tb. If I thought I could reach the 500 mark with my boss manifold, cams, and exhaust, I'd keep it. I don't see that happening though, 470 at best on 93 octane.

EJR

Established Member
I would agree that there would be a 20whp difference between a max effort one of each if you are comparing them based off CFM. But i can tell you that these motors DO NOT use all of that extra flow. IMO... the only gains would come from an 85mm to 90mm opening. Anything after that is really unnecessary because the motor doesnt demand it. Hell on the lsx platform, unless you are making more then 600whp NA, there is no point to any bigger then a 96mm TB.

And btw... I already make 455whp with an untouched boss intake, stock TB, and small air intake. I believe ill be pulling 20whp out of the boss setup. Cams will get me more then enough to cover 500whp.

Last edited:

Deranged2013

Established Member
Adding stage 3 cams to the equation. Would the extra CFM from the CJ set-up be a benefit or still just overkill? Or would a max effort, ported boss manifold, with a 90mm TB meet the flow demands of an engine with stage 3, or custom cams, and 1 7/8 long tubes? Opinions?

Maybe beating a dead horse here, but I like these NA build threads. Just trying to learn as much as possible before I spend or waste my hard earn money. lol

Users who are viewing this thread