Need info!! Ported CJ intake vs Ported Boss setup!

EJR

Established Member
Currently right now I have an untouched Boss intake with a stock TB and c&l air intake. It is in no way setup for peak power. Im on the fence on which route I want to go. Scalla recently ported his Boss intake and gained roughly 10-15whp from only working the runners. Still runs a stock TB and Airaid CAI.

Now in this thread:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...54/955953-cobra-jet-manifold-reworking-4.html

Im reading that there was only a 7whp gain going from an untouched Boss intake with a stock TB/Airaid intake to a ported CJ intake with a Monoblade and 4.5" air intake.

To me... any gains (on a stock to cammed longblock) I feel I can get pull it from the Boss intake by working the runners and opening the inlet to match an 85mm TB and running an Airaid (or other 4" intake).

Im basically trying to figure out the difference between a max effort Boss intake setup VS a max effort CJ intake setup. Both ported, both with TBs, and both with sufficient air intakes. I know I can pull 20whp out of the boss setup from where it is to maxed out. Its a question of can I get more out of the CJ intake.

I also know from my LSX days is that there is virtually no gain by going bigger then a 96mm TB unless you were north of 600whp on NA applications... and even then it was minimal HP.

Any help from the guys who have done it is much appreciated.

Last edited:

corysmach1

Established Member
Good post Evan. I have a JLT CAI now with a Ported Boss. My question is...is it worth it to switch to to a custom 4.5-5" CAI. SCJ TB and Ported Cobra Jet Intake? Yes i think it will be but would kind of like some proven setups to confirm its worth it.

SryOfcr

Established Member
I have no dyno information to back up my claims but I went from a ported Boss to a unported CJ, I've been too lazy so far. For ME I can say without a doubt in my mind that my unworked CJ with monoblade and custom 4.5" intake makes more power and pulls harder than my Boss.

Hope that helps you a bit, from one Evan to another Evan!

EJR

Established Member
Good post Evan. I have a JLT CAI now with a Ported Boss. My question is...is it worth it to switch to to a custom 4.5-5" CAI. SCJ TB and Ported Cobra Jet Intake? Yes i think it will be but would kind of like some proven setups to confirm its worth it.

The JLT is actually not even sufficient for the stock TB. I tested my intake with and without the insert along side the JLT intake.

C&L with insert made 424whp
JLT made 428whp
C&L without insert made 432whp

The C&L is bigger on the TB side of the tube then the JLT. And the C&L only measures 78mm ID at the TB. Technically still not enough air intake for even the stock TB. The Airaid is all around bigger and appears to be the highest flowing shelf intake.

Last edited:

EJR

Established Member
I have no dyno information to back up my claims but I went from a ported Boss to a unported CJ, I've been too lazy so far. For ME I can say without a doubt in my mind that my unworked CJ with monoblade and custom 4.5" intake makes more power and pulls harder than my Boss.

Hope that helps you a bit, from one Evan to another Evan!

What were you running for an air intake and TB on the Boss intake?

SCalla1384

Established Member
I think my gains were more 15-20rwhp. Clutch/flywheel freed up no more then 10rwhp since yours picked up about 12rwhp and your flywheel is 7lbs lighter then mine. 420rwhp to 445rwhp, I'd say at most 10rwhp from the clutch/flywheel and about 15rwhp from the runner work if not a couple more.

This is something I'd like to see to though, I know we were just talking about it. I'd really like to see a boss with an 85mm, 4.5" intake and cleaned/ported vs CJ ported with monoblade and 5" intake.

EJR

Established Member
I think my gains were more 15-20rwhp. Clutch/flywheel freed up no more then 10rwhp since yours picked up about 12rwhp and your flywheel is 7lbs lighter then mine. 420rwhp to 445rwhp, I'd say at most 10rwhp from the clutch/flywheel and about 15rwhp from the runner work if not a couple more.

This is something I'd like to see to though, I know we were just talking about it. I'd really like to see a boss with an 85mm, 4.5" intake and cleaned/ported vs CJ ported with monoblade and 5" intake.

really wont need more then a 4" air intake on an 85mm tb setup. The intake will already flow plenty of cfm for the TB.

There is no doubt the CJ will flow more air through and through then a boss intake. Its physics. Its just a matter of what the motor truly demands. I know these motors in bolt on form arent even close to needing a 110mm TB. If i had to guess... you would probably see peak flow at 90mm... but you cant open the Boss intake up to 90.. not without hacking it

Last edited:

SryOfcr

Established Member

I'd have to agree with you, I can see 15 rwhp or so from runners being worked. Any pointers on how to work the runners, I didn't do my boss a friend did, pretty nervous about working on the CJ I'd hate to ruin it.

EJR

Established Member
Boss mani accufab tb and plastic JLT

you literally had about 10-15hp in going from that JLT to a 4" air intake lol. The JLT is junk. Its only around 70-72mm at the TB side. Its a huge bottle neck.

SCalla1384

Established Member
It's really simple, it was my first time too. Just use a dremel with a slow speed (faster you'll melt plastic) used a carbide tipped cutter to blend the 2 pieces of plastic and to cut down the corner triangular bumps. Used a 120 grit sanding drum to fully smooth out the runner and reduce the injector boss. Then hand sanded 320 grit, 1200 grit and 2000 grit, then used the dremel polish compound with a felt pad.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
you literally had about 10-15hp in going from that JLT to a 4" air intake lol. The JLT is junk. Its only around 70-72mm at the TB side. Its a huge bottle neck.

Be careful saying that, When I first got a dyno tune from shaun we pulled my JLT intake off and found it only at around 72-74mm at the TB end tucker called me a liar and said it was not possible for it to be cast that small. I really wish with my original setup I would've went for a custom CAI or an AIR RAID because the JLT was the biggest piece of shit ever.

4VFTW

Established Member
this is exactly why I swapped to the Airaid when I bought the Accufab from you Thomas...a 72mm CAI clamped to a 85mm TB made 0mm in sense.

EJR

Established Member
Be careful saying that, When I first got a dyno tune from shaun we pulled my JLT intake off and found it only at around 72-74mm at the TB end tucker called me a liar and said it was not possible for it to be cast that small. I really wish with my original setup I would've went for a custom CAI or an AIR RAID because the JLT was the biggest piece of shit ever.

Its not even like it fits nice. Everything about it is trash. Fits like shit, doesnt make any power. Its as easy as reading a micrometer. If they call you a liar... they are just ignorant

EJR

Established Member
this is exactly why I swapped to the Airaid when I bought the Accufab from you Thomas...a 72mm CAI clamped to a 85mm TB made 0mm in sense.

:lol:

And did you happen to mic the Airaid?

01bluesnake

Established Member
I think a max effort Boss setup may make close power to the CJ, but the CJ may carry a better powerband down low and longer up top than the Boss. It's really hard to say without strapping two max effort setups on the same dyno, same day, same tuner.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor

I completely agree. I wish I went to the airaid the first time around.

Its not even like it fits nice. Everything about it is trash. Fits like shit, doesnt make any power. Its as easy as reading a micrometer. If they call you a liar... they are just ignorant

Yea I always had the JLT popping out of the coupler when I went to the boss intake, then had it rubbing the fan shroud, then also had the heat shield rubbing the valve cover and rubbing a hole through the heat shield.

:lol:

And did you happen to mic the Airaid?

I bet the airaid is a lot closer to 80mm then the JLT.

SCalla1384

Established Member
I think a max effort Boss setup may make close power to the CJ, but the CJ may carry a better powerband down low and longer up top than the Boss. It's really hard to say without strapping two max effort setups on the same dyno, same day, same tuner.

I agree 100% with that. I'm planning on doing this, but won't be for a while. Someone will probably beat me to it. Hopefully it's an apples to apples comparison.

Voltwings

Established Member

This. Im surprised it took so long for someone to say it, the curve gains are where the CJ is really going to shine over the Boss manifold. It would be nice to be able to compare average horsepower across the curve instead of just peak, but its going to take someone better at math than I.

EJR

Established Member
If you port the intake manifold...you will gain everywhere as well. I read a good articale on the 2 intakes compared side by side. The only difference is the tb and plenum entrance. Everything else is identical. The powerband changes would have to come solely from whatever changes are in the tb and plenum entry. The runners are clones to each other.

Users who are viewing this thread