Need immediate legal help with carfax error

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
Bought car 3/8/16.
Carfax started reporting an accident 5/15/16 that occurred 10/18/13. This is like a bad nightmare... What can I do.

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
Here is an image

Attachments

• IMG_1327.JPG
    IMG_1327.JPG
    272.4 KB · Views: 160

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
First, I am sorry for your misfortune.

That said, Carfax is wrong as much as they are right. This is fairly well known, and has been for a long time. If you look at their fine print I'd be surprised if they haven't totally disclaimed any liability when you agree to use their service.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Guessing this is regarding the 14 GT500.

How are the repairs? Assuming good being that you had no clue until you read the report. Was the vehicle salvaged as a result of the accident?

Me personally... wouldn't care much unless it was salvaged and games were played to cover up the change in title status. If not salvaged, that means repairs were relatively minor and non-structural. Wouldn't bother me unless I overpaid for the car.

Zemedici

Established Member
Have you tried contacting carfax directly, saying you’re the current owner with documentation that states otherwise?

Always worth a shot

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
I will never trust car fax again. Bought out 08 and had a clean car fax. Come to find that it was a factory buy back under lemon law. Tried everything up to and including the state attorney general. Zippo. Car fax only has what is reported to them. Doesn't get reported it will not be on there.

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
Car isn't salvaged. I never noticed any damage and I've been under the car, but I'm not a mechanic. Dealer is just giving me shit for a trade in value bc of it.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Car isn't salvaged. I never noticed any damage and I've been under the car, but I'm not a mechanic. Dealer is just giving me shit for a trade in value bc of it.

Shop another dealer. Dealers take cars on trade every single day that have had accidents. Very very very common.

Sounds like your car was backed into a tree.. .how bad could it have possibly been? :shrug:

If it wasn't salvaged, I'd tell the dealer to stuff it and go pound sand.

Have you tried CarMax?

nxhappy

Established Member
sorry, you won't be able to do anything against such a large company. Like someone else mentioned, the fine print is right there. Sell it PP instead of trading it in ...

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
Carfax is garbage in, garbage out. They just return any info presented to them. It could have been the accident wasn't reported to them by the body shop or insurance until that date. I don't trust them at all.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Maybe try calling a police department in RI and see if they can pull up any police reports of an accident corresponding to the VIN#? CARFAX receives their information from a variety of sources whether it be a local PD, insurance co, body shop, etc. Often times it could be delayed in reporting if the reporting agency didn't make the switch to keeping their records digital until way later. I've seen this before but unfortunately I can't tell you how to resolve it...

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Shop another dealer. Dealers take cars on trade every single day that have had accidents. Very very very common.

Sounds like your car was backed into a tree.. .how bad could it have possibly been? :shrug:

If it wasn't salvaged, I'd tell the dealer to stuff it and go pound sand.

Have you tried CarMax?

The dealer isn't refusing to trade the car - they're reducing his trade-in value because it has accident damage reported. And you can't blame them regardless if you can prove to them that the car was never involved in an accident. The ONLY way they'll pay him clean CARFAX price is if the CARFAX is CLEAN.

If you're a potential buyer and you go to look at a car on a dealers lot, and you see an accident reported on the CARFAX, would you pay them the same price as one next to it with a clean CARFAX? It's really not their problem and your average car buyer isn't going to believe them if the dealer says that CARFAX was wrong...

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
The dealer isn't refusing to trade the car - they're reducing his trade-in value because it has accident damage reported. And you can't blame them regardless if you can prove to them that the car was never involved in an accident. The ONLY way they'll pay him clean CARFAX price is if the CARFAX is CLEAN.

If you're a potential buyer and you go to look at a car on a dealers lot, and you see an accident reported on the CARFAX, would you pay them the same price as one next to it with a clean CARFAX? It's really not their problem and your average car buyer isn't going to believe them if the dealer says that CARFAX was wrong...

It's happened to me on a diesel 3/4 Chevy truck that was bought used...believe it was 4 years old at the time. I bought from a Ford dealer on the used car lot ironically enough. The truck was extremely clean and obviously well cared for however, once it got it home my good friend who owns a body shop found repair work done on the driver's side bedside of the truck.

The whole thing other than that was so damn clean I didn't really care. Without a body work professional going over the truck I would have never known.

Would I have paid the same for the truck had I found the issue before singing the papers? If they were firm on the price, yes-- I would have. However--to your point, I would have used it as bargaining leverage, yes.

Like everything in life, value is only measurable by the individual. Period.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Too many take carfax as gospel. I'd try to find a police report of the incident. You may find nothing has ever happened and you wouldn't be the first. You could then take steps to have incident removed from carfax. Have you searched the vin using other resources, autocheck, public data?

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Doesn't carfax offer 5 grand if you can prove they screwed up on a report? I thought i read that on their site a while ago.

The damage must not of been too bad if you never noticed it, i take it that it was probably a simple accident or repair? I'd be pissed too finding that out AFTER doing a check and buying it, but it's not like the vehicle is not safe or less than factory quality.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Carfax is a decent start but not totally inclusive. It should be used as a single data point but nothing more. If I was going to spend significant money on a used vehicle, I would pay to have a quality PPI conducted on the vehicle. That is where you will get the most complete picture of the cars condition.

Users who are viewing this thread