Need ideas for sports car under $25K

04svtterm

Established Member
Why is the cobalt ss junk? From all the track events and mag test posted its beating alot of cars you think it should not. Although it might not be the best for snow it has everything the op mentioned. The new cobalt ss has my respect from what ive seen so far.

first, its a cobalt, looks like ass to me. second, its a cobalt, drives like shit. third, when you compare it to a m3,sit,evo, s4, cts-v. its not in the same league. it coudln't hang w/ anyone of the cars i listed.

lastly, its a cobalt.

Tunedprt91

Established Member
first, its a cobalt, looks like ass to me. second, its a cobalt, drives like shit. third, when you compare it to a m3,sit,evo, s4, cts-v. its not in the same league. it coudln't hang w/ anyone of the cars i listed.

lastly, its a cobalt.

well i think the cobalt ss looks good imo. Ive never driven one so i can't say how they drive. Have you drove the new ss to say they drive like crap? The new ss also beat the evo and sti on the track recently so it must handle pretty well. It has beaten numerous vehicles on the track and costing less.

04svtterm

Established Member
well i think the cobalt ss looks good imo. Ive never driven one so i can't say how they drive. Have you drove the new ss to say they drive like crap? The new ss also beat the evo and sti on the track recently so it must handle pretty well. It has beaten numerous vehicles on the track and costing less.

ya my neighbors kid has one. The biggest piece of turd. He was excited about it, so i didn't say much. The interior blows. idc what people say, but its a slow car. Ive driven lots of fast cars valet parking in my years, but the cobalt ss i would put in the civic SI territory.

everytime i see one, i throw up in my mouth a lil.

blainestang

Established Member
but the cobalt ss i would put in the civic SI territory.

Oh really? Because there are tons of bone stock Si's running 13.6's, right?

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=137947

There's a BIG difference between the Supercharged Cobalt SS's and the Turbocharged ones. There aren't that many turbocharged ones out there, yet, so there are a LOT of people who are basing their claims that it's "slow" on the wrong car.

I'm not saying I really like them, but 13.6's stock and some very impressive track times in car mags as well as the record for fastest FWD production car at the Ring (8:22), the Cobalt SS is a performance bargain.

As far as fit and finish and such, I can't say, but good luck finding a better overall performing car for low 20's. You could get a new GT for low 20's, but while you MIGHT be faster in the 1/4, you will have your hands full on a track.

That's not to say the Cobalt is the "better car" or anything, just putting it into perspective for the people who don't know what this relatively new vehicle is capable of.

04svtterm

Established Member
Oh really? Because there are tons of bone stock Si's running 13.6's, right?

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=137947

There's a BIG difference between the Supercharged Cobalt SS's and the Turbocharged ones. There aren't that many turbocharged ones out there, yet, so there are a LOT of people who are basing their claims that it's "slow" on the wrong car.

I'm not saying I really like them, but 13.6's stock and some very impressive track times in car mags as well as the record for fastest FWD production car at the Ring (8:22), the Cobalt SS is a performance bargain.

As far as fit and finish and such, I can't say, but good luck finding a better overall performing car for low 20's. You could get a new GT for low 20's, but while you MIGHT be faster in the 1/4, you will have your hands full on a track.

That's not to say the Cobalt is the "better car" or anything, just putting it into perspective for the people who don't know what this relatively new vehicle is capable of.

turbo or SC, w/e it has. The car is still but ass ugly and drives like shit. Running a 13.6 1/4 mile still doesnt change the fact that a STI, EVO, M3, CTSV are much nicer cars around the OP's price budget. If someone told you hey, pick a car, sti or evo or m3 or cobalt...you would take the cobalt? get real.

Worsedog

Resident A**hole
Established Member
02-05 BMW M3. Can't beat the refinement of a Bimmer. Maintenance is rare but a bit costly. Oil changes at every 30,000k miles and over 300hp with a 9000k redline. 06-07 are still pretty expensive.

Who fed you that redline bs? On the 08 the redline is 8400, the tranny is supposed to handle 9K. The years you mentioned are a bit less.(Please note understatement)

Tunedprt91

Established Member
turbo or SC, w/e it has. The car is still but ass ugly and drives like shit. Running a 13.6 1/4 mile still doesnt change the fact that a STI, EVO, M3, CTSV are much nicer cars around the OP's price budget. If someone told you hey, pick a car, sti or evo or m3 or cobalt...you would take the cobalt? get real.

What year is your neighbors? It beat the sti and the evo around the track, holds the current FWD record, and runs 13's so although i haven't been in the new ss i doubt it drives like crap. That is just the performance aspects of the car though. Im sure the new ss has ok build quality.

If i had to choose between the cobalt, sti, and evo based on performance then cobalt is the winner.

03CobraBro

Established Member
I think car and driver just had a write up about the 10 best used performance cars for 25000 dollars.

C5 Z06 was in there btw, and those will get well over 25mpg...

blainestang

Established Member

Hey, why don't you tell me where I said I'd take the Cobalt over any other specific vehicle? Good luck.

blainestang

Established Member
sorry but no one creams themselves over a chevy cobalt,...

What's your point?

I wasn't saying he SHOULD buy a Cobalt, or that everyone should LOVE them... I was only pointing out that they perform a lot better than what some of the ignorant people around here think.

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
Honestly, the 08 and up cobalt ss are pretty bomb.
Those cars rip.
faster around a track than a new evo, 30 mpg highway.
You can even get the sedan if you don't like the coupe.
5.7 0-60
Pretty good for $22,900
For the money I doubt you could beat it.
Atleast for a brand new car.
If used is on your list then look into an EVO, STI, Mini Cooper S, theres alot out there.

kball

Banned
Thanks to most everyone for the helpful opinions. Now, I'm leaning towards either 05up Mustang GT or 05up GTO...I of course would need winter tires for both. Would be my DD. In experience out there with either?

blainestang

Established Member
Honestly, the 08 and up cobalt ss are pretty bomb.
Those cars rip.
faster around a track than a new evo, 30 mpg highway.
You can even get the sedan if you don't like the coupe.
5.7 0-60
Pretty good for $22,900
For the money I doubt you could beat it.
Atleast for a brand new car.
If used is on your list then look into an EVO, STI, Mini Cooper S, theres alot out there.

Oh boy, here comes a response like, "Yeah, but my friend's cousin's dogwalker had a '92 Cavalier, and that thing had tranny rebuilds more often than I change my underwear... and by some unknown illogical process... that means the new Cobalt SS is a slow piece of crap!"

BTW, you can get a new Cooper S for $25k if you keep the options to a bare minimum. IMO, the only thing you need is the LSD anyway. Fun cars.

BLUBLLS

i would get a 02-05 m3, an s4, or a wrx/sti.

LOL @ the guy who suggested cobalt SS..lol. Thats the biggest piece of junk under 25k.

also just realized, you can get a g35 coupe or sedan. heck maybe even a cts-v if you look hard enough.

Are you talking about the Cobalt SS (that's under 25k) that just beat the EVO X on the race track stock for stock?

BLUBLLS

Thanks to most everyone for the helpful opinions. Now, I'm leaning towards either 05up Mustang GT or 05up GTO...I of course would need winter tires for both. Would be my DD. In experience out there with either?

If you are wanting it for a DD than I say go with the 05+ GTO out of those 2 options. Much better interior and decent gas mileage

Users who are viewing this thread