Need help with my MM CC plates and install..

Saleen281sc

I've got a Cobra,too
Established Member
I am installing the MM CC plates on my Cobra, along with my lowering springs and have a question.

First off, it shows in the instructions that only a "short" spacer goes under the bearing plate, while the remaining 2 long and 1 short go on top. I have seen a couple cars that have 1 long spacer under the plate, and the remaining 2 short/1 long on top. Which is correct?

Also, the MM instructions say that the factory Bilsteins have internal bumpstops...if that is so, why did the factory mounts have a bumpstop in it? The strut has NOTHING on top of it (other than the spacers) when mounted?? :??:

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
The amount of spacers used under/over the plate depend on how much you lower the car. Rule of thumb is you want to move spacers from the bottom to top approximately the same amount you lowered the car. You are wanting the top of the strut to move up the amount of the lowering to maintain geometry. You will want to check final clearance of course before slamming the hood down, I did this with a few pieces of old clay bar, put a ball on top of each strut and slowly lower hood till fully latched. Pull the hood back up and see if you are going to have rubbing issues. If it is going to be close, move the spacers appropriately.

As far as the stock bilsteins...I am running H&R race springs and do not have any bumpstop on the top of mine. No problems with 10k hard miles since the install.

And before you drill that 4th hole....measure and mark twice. I've had to elongate more than a few holes in rushing an install.

If you need more tips just post up, not a hard install.

Last edited:

Saleen281sc

I've got a Cobra,too
Established Member
The amount of spacers used under/over the plate depend on how much you lower the car. Rule of thumb is you want to move spacers from the bottom to top approximately the same amount you lowered the car. You are wanting the top of the strut to move up the amount of the lowering to maintain geometry. You will want to check final clearance of course before slamming the hood down, I did this with a few pieces of old clay bar, put a ball on top of each strut and slowly lower hood till fully latched. Pull the hood back up and see if you are going to have rubbing issues. If it is going to be close, move the spacers appropriately.

As far as the stock bilsteins...I am running H&R race springs and do not have any bumpstop on the top of mine. No problems with 10k hard miles since the install.

And before you drill that 4th hole....measure and mark twice. I've had to elongate more than a few holes in rushing an install.

If you need more tips just post up, not a hard install.

Great info- thanks.

Drilled holes, everything was dead on, so no problems there.

I am using Steeda Sport springs, so I'm lowering aprox. 1.25 inches in the front.

So I take it I want 1.25 or so inches of spacer on TOP of the bearing plate?

Evan5469

Established Member
I did my springs and CC plates at the same time just like you're doing and just followed the Maximum Motorsports directions. They say for a lowered car to use 2 long and 1 short spacer on top and 1 short spacer on the bottom. Been that way for several thousand miles now and not one problem.

Also, I have no bumpstops on my Bilsteins and have no problems at all as well.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I only have one thick and one thin spacer on top with 1.6 Springs! No issues going over railroad tracks etc.. and it handles Fantastic!

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I only have one thick and one thin spacer on top with 1.6 Springs! No issues going over railroad tracks etc.. and it handles Fantastic!

Same,1 small and 1 large spacer top and bottom.
010-2.jpg

black 10th vert

Established Member
Same,1 small and 1 large spacer top and bottom.
010-2.jpg

Brad, what made you choose that spacer combo? I'm going to be doing this on mine very soon, so I'm trying gather info on the setup at this point. I do like the fact that yours doesn't stick up into the engine bay as much as some I've seen. I think having it too tall looks goofy, but I'd rather that, then have incorrect travel on the shocks, I suppose!

Brian

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Brad, what made you choose that spacer combo? I'm going to be doing this on mine very soon, so I'm trying gather info on the setup at this point. I do like the fact that yours doesn't stick up into the engine bay as much as some I've seen. I think having it too tall looks goofy, but I'd rather that, then have incorrect travel on the shocks, I suppose!

Brian

Pretty much exactly what you said Brian about sticking up so far.The roads are pretty much smooth as glass here with very few bumps,so i`ll see how this set up works.I`m getting it aligned tommorow morning.

Users who are viewing this thread