Need help trouble shooting , and yes, I used the seach func. first

va boy

Established Member
As the title reads, I need a little help on this one. My background is in 60's muscle, the new modular superhcarged engines are new to me.
Just got my 03 a montha ago, 1 owner 23k miles.
Last night while on a "spirited" run, I was in 3rd gear and felt a skipping while in boost.
Slowed down and pulled on it pretty hard again in 2nd and 3rd, same thing, skipping is the best way I know to describe it.
I looked for the usual suspects, spit plug, hoses disconnected, etc.
Possibly spark plugs are bad, or belt slipping? An elderly gentleman owned the car before me, maybe he lugged around a lot and fouled the plugs?
I drove it tonight and it pulls fine????????? I hate intermitent problems! HARD to diagnose!
Any thoughts?
Thanks for reading.

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
cold weather- more boost- more power- i would bet on it being either too big of a spark plug gap/ bad coil pack- remedy- ngk tr6 plugs gapped at .32 if below 18psi, if cop, replace

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Might want to start with the simple stuff, fuel filter, plugs, vac leaks, etc. Post up your mod list also.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
I'll bet everything on it being spark plugs. Sounds like the same issue I had when I had TR6's, I would pull yours and check your gap. If they're good I would go with NGK TR7IX's gapped at .32, If that doesnt work I would move on to everything else.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I'll bet everything on it being spark plugs. Sounds like the same issue I had when I had TR6's, I would pull yours and check your gap. If they're good I would go with NGK TR7IX's gapped at .32, If that doesnt work I would move on to everything else.

He dosen`t need that cold of a plug at that gap, stock pulley car. I`m guessing fuel filter.

Wayneo

Established Member
A skipping sensation to me sounds like a misfire, Definetly change or re-gap the sparkplugs, if it happens again you need to find out what cylinder or cylinders so you can replace the correct COP's.

To me a clogged fuel filter would cause a lack of power concern not a misfire sensation. Unless your fuel pressure is dropping a lot it could cause this but would not be a intermintant conern.

Last edited:

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
He dosen`t need that cold of a plug at that gap, stock pulley car. I`m guessing fuel filter.

Shit I'm retarded, I guess I just think everyone has the same mods as me, dont ever think about the less modded cars lol! They do make a TR6IX though, thats what I had in the car when I bought it!

va boy

Established Member
Well gonna check the plugs and go from there, didn't happen today, temps in the 30's and snowing, Cobra is covered but on the carport, I'm too old and it's just too cold right now!
Thanks again!

va boy

Established Member
Plugs look ok. Actually look to be factory with factory gap still.
Gonna stick it on a diagnostic computer locally next week, suspect COP.
After the first of the year gonna take it down to Dan at Pro-Dyno for an upper pulley and dyno tune, I'm sure if I haven't fixed it by then, they will find it.
Going back and forth now between 2.76 or 2.80, probably not much either anyway.
Thanks again for the tips guys.

va boy

Established Member
UPDATE: After braving the 20 degree weather here, I was able to fix the problem.
It was the.............plugs. You guys are pretty good. I j had ust bought the car and hadn't really had time to check over everything yet.
Existing plugs were NGK TR55GP, the gaps were anywhere from .054 to .060, with a median gap of .057.
Droppped in some NGK TR6's gapped at .032. Problem fixed, no hesitation under WOT anymore. It could be my imagination, but the supercharger sounds a bit differnet and louder now, wonder why?
Again, thanks for the trouble shooting tips guys, you were kind enough to give input, so I wanted to share what I found out, it could help someone else out in the rare occasion they use the search function!

va boy

Established Member
You welcome Jimmy, nothing irritates me more(except for "Termi") than reading thru 3 pages of a thread, full of suggestions that folks take time to read and offer advice, for free, and the OP drops off the face of the earth. Not all OP's, but a lot never offer a resolution, which is the last piece of the puzzle!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread