Need Help... How to clean out the air vents?

tomcat

Forever Foxbodys
Established Member
Hey Guys
I just took the Termi out from winter storage last and somehow I must have gathered a dead mouse and his associated acorn shavings in my ventilation intake somewhere beacause when I put the fan on I get that horrible stink and little saw dust particles all over my (what was) clean interior :cryying:. Does anyone have experience as how to tackle this one.... maybe start with the intake (somewhere beneath the wipers???) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom

DRAGUL

Established Member
Sorry I can't give you advice but I can sympathize. I had that happen once when I owned my 83gt. I remember that smell. I had to take out all the duct work and washed it all out with dish soap.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Be VERY CAREFUL removing that cowl cover under the wipers........Many people have broken them

You might be able to use a high-power vacuum to pull the little corpse out from either the intake or outlet ducts

Finish up with Lysol sprayed in while fan is running

Last edited:

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
Next time u store ur car, set a bunch of mouse traps under the hood baited with peanut butter.

tomcat

Forever Foxbodys
Established Member
Next time u store ur car, set a bunch of mouse traps under the hood baited with peanut butter.

I did all of the "preventative" work, including 9 pouches of mothballs under the hood (I think the peanut putter and trap idea might backfire as it will draw them in more than anything). I keep it in a 200+ year old barn in rural CT so I guess I should expect this. Maybe I just need to find one of those cliched women who can suck a golf ball through a garden hose and see if she can help :D

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Be VERY CAREFUL removing that cowl cover under the wipers........Many people have broken them

You might be able to use a high-power vacuum to pull the little corpse out from either the intake or outlet ducts

Finish up with Lysol sprayed in while fan is running

This is a good idea, but I fear this job is going to turn into a dash pull/heater core type of job before all is said and done.

Sorry to hear of your untimely and unwanted transient rodent mortality and the most unfortunate location of it's final demise. :nonono::(

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
OH GOD! This brings up bad memories. I had a T-Bird that a mother mouse decided to have babies in. They were all against the AC evaporater. The smell was horrible. I spent a whole day tearing the dash apart to get to them. Needless to say laying in the evap box with the moisture they had mold all over them. I hope things go better for you.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I really feel for ya. That is one nasty problem to have to tackle. There is not good shortcut on this one. IMO bite the bullet and start pulling the dash, per Jimmy's mention. This is one of those "do it right the first time" deals that in the end will save you from the frustration of the job not being completely done. If it was me, I'd want the issue to be 100% corrected ASAP. Again, I feel for you.

Users who are viewing this thread