Need Help: Crack in Intercooler With Pictures

04Cobra550

@
Established Member
Car started to bog on way home from work a week ago, and completely died when I parked it last. Had the intercooler reservoir sucking in air and losing coolant. While trying to diagnose it, the car died.

It wouldn't start, just turn over but never caught. I tried twice and figured I'd better stop. Someone on this forum had the same symptoms and it was a crack in the intercooler. So I decided to take a look at mine.

Just took off the supercharger and here is what I saw:
flooded.jpg

Here is a picture of the crack in the intercooler:
hecrack.jpg

After drying:
afterdrying.jpg

Now the big question... What do I do now?
Should I weld this crack? Or buy a new heat exchanger?

How would I know if I hydrolocked my car? Are there any steps that I can take to minimize the damage? Do I need to dry out the supercharger?

hotcobra03

Established Member
if it were me i would drain oil and remove spark plugs before cranking,,but would do it asap..the rest is 50/50

i always ended up having o2 issues after having coolant go thru exhaust...so this could be an issue after getting car restarted with driveability...not sure if removing now would help,,bieing the cost so much i would just pull them till what ever is in cylinders blows out and burns

04Cobra550

@
Established Member
Will do, I'll change out the oil tomorrow and ordered some spark plugs (will be here monday).

I have no cats and I think the O2 sensors in the exhaust are turned off in my tune. I may be wrong, please correct me if this is not usually done when the cats are removed. Would I still have the O2 problems you're talking about?

Big question is, what should I do about the intercooler? Replace or get the crack welded? Any suggestions on what I should get if it needs replaced?

Stanger00

Established Member
He is probably referring to your front o2 sensors, the important ones.

Cant help you with the decision of to weld or not.

04Cobra550

@
Established Member
Ah ok.

So I read that I should pull the spark plugs and try to turn the car over to see if it hydro locked? That true?

Also,

if it were me i would drain oil and remove spark plugs before cranking,,but would do it asap..the rest is 50/50

Should I pull the plugs and crank it either way? Does this mean I supposed to crank it without oil in it, also?

Never had water this far into the engine, now I'm getting more worried about it. Mostly cause I have no idea what is the best thing to do in this scenario. A play by play from anyone more experienced would really help me out.

hotcobra03

Established Member
what your looking at is the lower intake...thats on top of engine..

the hole in bottom is for pcv and goes to valve cover if it hasnt been deleted..

cranking it over is ok just a couple of cranks with fuel pump fuse out ..if coolant is in oil you will know when you drain it..

as to o2 sensors...you need to look..

i have lt-headers,or xpipe..with all 4 o2`s still on..no mils and using predator tune ...

mnewxcv

Established Member
just to be clear to the OP, DO NOT CRANK THE ENGINE WITHOUT OIL. HOTCOBRA means to drain and replace...

or maybe he means what you think. Just sounds weird to me...

04Cobra550

@
Established Member
Thanks so much for the help guys!

Took my supercharger to the only good performance shop here in town to try to get a new intercooler, they turned me down and told me they couldn't get an intercooler for our cobras and I had to talk to Ford.

Called Ford and the guy on the other end was hell bent that I needed the heat exchanger behind the grill, no matter what I told him. Decided to call back after work and hope I get someone else.

I'll be pulling the plugs and fuel pump fuse then cranking it a few times tonight.

I bought new oil to change the oil. I don't mind changing the oil a few times until all is well so I'll plan on changing that tonight, also, even if that means I'll have to change it soon with all the coolant everywhere.

Blueline

Established Member
You can pick up a used one in good shape for under 300. Or there was a company that was fixing them and pressure testing them, I forgot who it was though. Just curious what ratio you were running of anitfreeze and water, cant imagine it has gotten that cold in NM? As stated draing oil etc.... GL!

Last edited:

Zacharyx

Established Member
A friends cracked last year, he had it welded and it has been fine. Changed the oil and the O2s to be on the safe side

perry2k12

Established Member
Thanks so much for the help guys!

Called Ford and the guy on the other end was hell bent that I needed the heat exchanger behind the grill, no matter what I told him. Decided to call back after work and hope I get someone else.

I may be wrong, but I thought the part in question was called just the intercooler? That may have been his confusion or maybe I'm just confused

04Cobra550

@
Established Member
Thanks so much for all the replies.

Here is the update:
I finally got the "Charge Air Cooler" (thanks for the correct name update!) welded. Yes, I had it welded instead of opting for a new one for two reasons:
1. Ford said they could not get one for two months
2. Used ones are hard to find
3. The aftermarket one had mixed results

After the TIG weld, I pressure tested it and it held up. Changed the spark plugs, oil, and coolant. Cleaned up the mess the coolant had made and put it all back together last night.

Car seems to be back up and running great.

FYI if anyone needs a good guide to taking off the blower, use this:
2003 – 2004 Cobra Blower Removal and Install - MustangSpecialties.net

Blueline

Established Member
Glad you got it all back together and running good :thumbsup: Now you can enjoy your holiday lol :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread