Need advice on a socket/ratchet set.

Blown 89

Established Member
Did you order over phone or their site? I would probably call to see if they have any in stock first.
I ordered off their site and called a few weeks later when it wasn't shipping.

I’m at a point in my life where I don’t need Snap On tools, but I want them. I’ll likely choke when I see the prices, though. I have many Craftsman and Husky stuff.
There's definitely a trade off with price. Some Snap-on tools seem worth the cost and others are subpar compared to other brands. I always though that when I got to a point where I could afford nice tools that I'd end up with one brand but I've ended up with a mixture of brands. I'll never understand people that go into massive debt for tools that aren't very good.

07stuntin6r

Established Member
We have snap on and blue point at work and man I can tell the difference. That said isn’t craftsman being bought out by ACE hardware? For price and all I would look into kobalt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
SK makes some good stuff. Hit up CL and buy old Craftsman stuff.
I've got SK wrenches. I like them a lot. Quality tools.

I used to go exclusively with Craftsman, but the quality has diminished so I no longer shop Craftsman.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I've got SK wrenches. I like them a lot. Quality tools.

I used to go exclusively with Craftsman, but the quality has diminished so I no longer shop Craftsman.

With Sears essentially going out of business and selling off the Craftsman brand it may get more difficult to warranty broken ones.

hoamskilet

Established Member
Our local auto zone and advanced auto carry gear wrench and 3 to 4 times a year do a half off sale, that being said i have yet to break 1 of these ratchets mostly use 1/2in stuff. It may be worth looking at your local parts stores and ask if they do these types of sales.

also Hoamskilet posted a S-K sale looks like 40% off
Heck of a sale going on.....good quality US tools:

https://www.sktools.com/?cid=sk-holiday1
unsure how to give him credit for this but Thanks Hoamskilet!

Was just gonna post that sale. If I wasn't already set on ratchets/sockets, I'd be all over that deal

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Harbor Freight. We used them at the tire, lube and front end alignment shop I worked at last year. They went through hell and back. Since I've left, i started buying HF hand tools for my own house. I don't regret it. I can only speak for HF wrenches and sockets. I have only used HF fine tooth rachets at home so i havent abused them much. I try to use the correct tool for the job so i dont see my HF ratchets breaking any time soon. It's very entertaining seeing people cry about HF when I can sit back and know how good they are.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Just go to Harbor Freight & save yourself some $. I have a million sockets & sets. From HF, Craftsman, Autozone, Husky...

They all have been good to me.

SirShaun

Established Member
https://www.harborfreight.com/
If something breaks just take it back to the store, they change it out on site. $100 you'll be feeling like fixing everything.

Better yet, Lowes has a nice sale on Kobalt sets right now. I have the 227 piece set, and it's done me right. I've had jack handles on the ratchets breaking shit loose left and right with them, well left but you get what I'm saying.

227 piece set $100
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-227...c-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set-with-Hard-Case/50200795

300 Piece $150
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-300...ic-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set-N-A-No-Case/1000251051

Only thing I've added to my 227 piece set is extensions, screw drivers, plyers, and more deep sockets I think, all from harbor freight cheap.

I'm a fan of the Kobalt 24v Max Tools as well, only $20 a battery. Love my 1/2 impact, thinking of picking up a 3/8 as well. I grunt like Tim the Tool Man every time I pick it up. Paired with impact sockets from Harbor Freight. She bad. Cheaper to buy Gun/Charger/Battery separate over the package deal at $250.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-24-Volt-Max-1-2-in-Drive-Cordless-Impact-Wrench/1000102897

Last edited:

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
My socket sets I use kobalt or older american made craftsmen.

Ratchets are kobalt, older craftsmen, or pittsburg (HF). Best ratchet I bought to date was the swivel head 1/2" pittsburg that's about two foot long. Thing is solid as a rock.

Be weary of the plastic/shit metal grade gears in some of them. You will ring the teeth off in a minute.

BJCobra99

Established Member
I just bought that Lowe's kobalt deal for 150 bucks for a truck tool set. Gotta admit, feels way smoother with those 90 teeth ratchets than my old USA made craftsman. Happy so far.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Harbor Freight. We used them at the tire, lube and front end alignment shop I worked at last year. They went through hell and back. Since I've left, i started buying HF hand tools for my own house. I don't regret it. I can only speak for HF wrenches and sockets. I have only used HF fine tooth rachets at home so i havent abused them much. I try to use the correct tool for the job so i dont see my HF ratchets breaking any time soon. It's very entertaining seeing people cry about HF when I can sit back and know how good they are.

HF's standard hand tools (the stuff in the cheap sets) are garbage. However, their professional line is as good as the current Craftsman stuff.

The old Craftsman Professional line were 90% as good as Snap-On, Mac, Matco, etc.; but it was a good deal more than their standard stuff.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I’ve had good luck with Kobalt stuff from Lowe’s. ...

Same here. The tools are so good that, for the longest time, I didn't even realize they were Lowe's in-house brand tools. Very good quality. I also have an impact socket set from Klutch that is excellent. I probably won't ever have to replace those things. They're made from hardened steel and/or carbide. I believe Klutch is the in-house brand for Northern Tools and Equipment.

I might be the only person who's had hit-or-miss luck with Craftsman. I've had ratchets that disintegrated, wrenches that either bent, snapped or rounded out in the mouth, and lots of sockets that rounded out. At this point, Craftsman hand tools are at the bottom of my list. I do have their big tool chest set that my wife bought me for Christmas a couple years ago, and I love it. Though, it was dented as delivered. Turns out there were TONS of complaints from people receiving that same chest dented on delivery, and about Craftsman being difficult with replacing them. I didn't even bother submitting a claim. It's just cosmetic damage that's not worth the hassle.

OP, the only hand tools you want to spend big money on are really good ratchets and a really good torque wrench, IMO. Also, every home garage tool kit should have a set of ratcheting box wrenches.

Never_Enough

Established Member
OP, the only hand tools you want to spend big money on are really good ratchets and a really good torque wrench, IMO. Also, every home garage tool kit should have a set of ratcheting box wrenches.
& an air compressor with air tools + a torch

nxhappy

Established Member
+1 on the old-school Craftsman ...I still have the same set I got in 1996 =)

Nowadays I think most of the kits at Lowes/HD are decent

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
HF's standard hand tools (the stuff in the cheap sets) are garbage. However, their professional line is as good as the current Craftsman stuff.

The old Craftsman Professional line were 90% as good as Snap-On, Mac, Matco, etc.; but it was a good deal more than their standard stuff.

+1 on their standard stuff not being too great. Both the 1/4 ratchets I have from them have sloppy ratcheting and skips/binds. I just haven't got around to bring them back for new ones as I hardly use 1/4" stuff (except to get to tight places like the bottom plenum bolts on the VMP GT500 TB).

Users who are viewing this thread