Need a work/business watch under $700

nxhappy

Established Member
When I bought my Triumph Speed Triple R in '15, I was supposed to get a limited edition watch with it. They go for around $300 on ebay.

The dealership must have run off with it because I never got it.

SAD!
damn that blows.

blk02edge

Established Member
I'm going to play devil's advocate here. A $300k McLaren and a Focus RS do the same thing. Internally they are different. However.....one is much faster than the other. The McLaren performs better in every conceivable fashion. A $5,000 watch however, does not tell time better than a cheaper watch. That's possibly where the car comparison falls flat on its face.

I appreciate nice things and there are certainly some high end watches I think look amazing and have some amazing features that lower end watches don't have. There's a point, much like cars, where it gets too ridiculous.
I guess art is a better comparison. A watch nut can always tell the difference. However in a rolex, nah, paying for a name.

nxhappy

Established Member
I'm going to play devil's advocate here. A $300k McLaren and a Focus RS do the same thing. Internally they are different. However.....one is much faster than the other. The McLaren performs better in every conceivable fashion. A $5,000 watch however, does not tell time better than a cheaper watch. That's possibly where the car comparison falls flat on its face.

I appreciate nice things and there are certainly some high end watches I think look amazing and have some amazing features that lower end watches don't have. There's a point, much like cars, where it gets too ridiculous.
I agree. For a $5000 watch I want gold and diamonds lol.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
374A037C-56E5-4995-95E1-B36913D8F9D5.jpeg
8A538D3E-4C61-4E3F-AD2B-A08D26E7D89C.jpeg

My currents choices for watches. Top above $700 bottom below $700. Love luminox in that I can see it anytime night and day no questions. So nice.

Last edited:

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member

Actually define " better"

As the $5,000 watch can be better, as in keep time more correct, for longer, in a more efficient manner.

Not all watches just operate the same. Get a skeleton watch, and you will see the difference.

buffalosoldier

Established Member
On average it takes about a year for a Rolex to leave the factory, that's build time and certification as a superlative chronometer. Rolex swims in the deep blue ocean, there are thousands of watch companies swimming in the creek.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I find it interesting that people are debating the value or need of high-end watches. This forum exists because people were not satisfied or interested in a regular Mustang, F-150, Taurus, Crown Vic, etc. So, people paid a premium for an SVO, SVT, GT350/GT350R, Lightning, Marauder, SHO, etc. Both versions of vehicles perform the same function: transportation. However, they both do it very differently. Our performance oriented versions are more powerful, handle better, brake better, and have more style and flash. What matters to us is what's under the hood. A watch isn't much different. A lot of what matters is what's in the case. The movement is not generic/ordinary. Typically, they are extremely precise, mechanical works of art. The materials used for the entire watch are above average. Yes, a cheap watch tells time, but a high-end watch tells/keeps more accurate time, lasts longer, maintains value(there are exceptions), and looks good doing it(style/flash).

blk02edge

Established Member
On average it takes about a year for a Rolex to leave the factory, that's build time and certification as a superlative chronometer. Rolex swims in the deep blue ocean, there are thousands of watch companies swimming in the creek.

they make 2000 watches PER DAY. sitting in a que to be cosc certified means nothing on the quality LOL. Rolex is simply a name.. yes its a good watch but they are only worth a fraction of what people are paying for them.

nxhappy

Established Member
they make 2000 watches PER DAY. sitting in a que to be cosc certified means nothing on the quality LOL. Rolex is simply a name.. yes its a good watch but they are only worth a fraction of what people are paying for them.
technically everybody is getting ripped off. It's just precious metal. But at least the Rolex's are made from real gold and diamonds. Some watches won't have any precious metals are they are retarded expensive. In that case, **** yeah I'll buy a Rolex. At least gold and diamonds are valuable.

Blown 89

Established Member
As the $5,000 watch can be better, as in keep time more correct, for longer, in a more efficient manner.
Except they don't. That myth is a carryover from the days when there was a noticeable difference due to manufacturing limitations:

"Researchers, who looked at humble timepieces that included a counterfeit Rolex purchased from a street vendor for $15 and a $30 discount store Timex, found they were all accurate to within a few thousandths of a second per day. It would take years for such a shift to become noticeable to their owners"
Are expensive watches better than cheap watches?

"If this is your first time buying an expensive wristwatch, there is one very important fact you need to know in advance. A $25 Timex or Casio digital watch will keep time just as well as, and possibly better than, a $20,000 solid gold mechanical Omega, Rolex, or other very fine watch."
Chronocentric: Accuracy of Fine Wristwatches

Last edited:

CV355

_
Established Member
damn that blows.

Yeah, the forum I used to visit for Triumph stuff had a thread about them, so I asked. Turns out I was supposed to get a good number of goodies since the bike I got was the "track" model and rather rare.

Oh well.

"Researchers, who looked at humble timepieces that included a counterfeit Rolex purchased from a street vendor for $15 and a $30 discount store Timex, found they were all accurate to within a few thousandths of a second per day. It would take years for such a shift to become noticeable to their owners"
Are expensive watches better than cheap watches?

On May 11, 2001, I went on a school trip to visit the WTC in NYC. On the way out of the building, the street vendors caught most of us, pressuring everyone to buy a "Rolex." Some students caved and bought them. Most died within a week. One kid got someone to pawn it for him and made a decent amount of pocket money.

Counterfeits are everywhere. I saw a PRS Custom 24 on Craigslist for a very decent price. I contacted the guy and asked for more pictures, which he sent. I noticed some weird discrepancies, since I already have a Custom 24, and asked about them. He claimed he knew nothing about the guitar and that he acquired it in an estate auction. I told him it was counterfeit and never heard back. Hmm..

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
It's a shame with smart phones, watches are dying.
Not so. There has always been and probably always will be people into watches. I'm a watch guy and enjoy wearing different watches for different events. It's comparable to a woman's purse or earrings, they are accessories that define you personally.
For an enthusiast, watches are more than just a time piece
Op, here are some honorable mentions:
MVMT White Caramel
images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSyDNiN3X1AylXcHgz68faUOJaPpacSXcrwATkqCiBuVBTkVdma.jpg

Luminox Atacama
$_57.jpg

And one of my favs... I have two of these with different bands
casio-g-shock-men_s-analog-digital-watch-gsts110-1a_1.jpg

buffalosoldier

Established Member
I just gifted my 1969 Snoopy watch to a friend. I bought it from a Montgomery Wards catalogue store for about $20 and wore it for years.

blk02edge

Established Member
technically everybody is getting ripped off. It's just precious metal. But at least the Rolex's are made from real gold and diamonds. Some watches won't have any precious metals are they are retarded expensive. In that case, **** yeah I'll buy a Rolex. At least gold and diamonds are valuable.
Plenty of watches offer real precious metals. Also, the majority of over priced Rolex are the stainless steel models with zero precious materials.

Users who are viewing this thread