Need a new farm truck

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
So wrecked my farm truck (79GMC 4x4) and need a replacement. Does not have to be anything fancy as it is not used all that often. Only thing I really need is has to be 4x4. Looking at something in the years prior to 2010. I know certain years of Fords have problems but have no idea about any others. Any that I need to stay away from? Any that are recommended? Thanks

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have an 01' Superduty with the 6.8 V10 that I use for plowing my driveway in the wintertime and hauling the race car in the summer. Works great and has been dead reliable. 140K on the clock right now. Outside of oil changes, the only thing replaced is the battery, spark plugs, the air filter and a serpentine belt. Oh, and tires and brakes.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
First gen tundra. You can still get them cheap. Just stay away from the earlier models. The 03 and up are the ones to get.

This.

Not sure how you feel about imports @HillbillyHotRod but my Tundra is a great truck. I use it to plow, tow, haul and DD and I’ve never had an issue. Have well over 100k on it.

dwest731

Established Member
I have an 07 SR5 tundra with 328k miles. Only replaced the front wheel bearings, starter, and front struts. Minus the regular oil and brake components. That 5.7 hurt my 92 5.0 fox that had some motor work done too. 13 mpg as my daily driver hurts but big blue kicks ass as a farm truck. Hell she hauled a tiny house easily one time

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
IMG_0333_sized.jpg

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
I have a couple of beater 8.1 2500 HD trucks that I use for work. Honestly, the chassis is pretty meh, but there's something about those trucks I still like. Would be about perfect for you load size. Heavy duty towing, and it's only the Super Duty getting hitched up around here. They're 10x the truck IMO.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I have a couple of beater 8.1 2500 HD trucks that I use for work. Honestly, the chassis is pretty meh, but there's something about those trucks I still like. Would be about perfect for you load size. Heavy duty towing, and it's only the Super Duty getting hitched up around here. They're 10x the truck IMO.
The 8.1 actually pretty solid. Not so much the transmission. 6.0L another solid option.

Ford 6.8 V10, 6.2 V8.

projectslideway

Established Member
I've seen some deals hiding in plain sight on the Avalanche 2500 with the 8.1. I personally love having the midgate feature for hauling and/or open air cruising. Not everyone's cup of tea though.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Not a fan of the 8.1 with the tiny exhaust studs that break all the time, nor the 9mpg on a good day.

I'd find a 6.0/4L80 truck and call it a day. The LS motors are known to still have cross hatch in the cylinders after 300k miles.

Users who are viewing this thread