Need a new DD

LazyDriver

Established Member
Hey everyone new guy here, been lurking around for quite a while thought I would join since somewhere along the way I would like to buy a terminator/2nd gen lightning , and I really like the site and members. Anyways let me cut the chit chat , I'm in need of a new daily driver and have kind of decided on 3 cars I see as an option, all v8 mustangs 1967-70, 90-93, or 2000-04. Now my question is, which from those following years would you guys suggest as a daily driver? My needs are something fairly comfortable, not too bad on gas and reliable. Yes I know a v8 isn't exactly the gas friendly but after having a f150 v8 for a DD, I just can't seem to move away from that sound. Anyways hope I didn't bore you guys yet or screw up already.. Thanks for any input !!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'll assume that a newer Mustang (ie. '15, '13-'14) is out of the question as a DD. That said, it is going to heavily depend on both your budget and your personal preferences. An '03-'04 Cobra is going to be much more expensive than, for example, a '00-'02 Mustang (or '00-'01 Cobra). And some will also depend on whether or not you plan to mod the Mustang you buy. First decide how much you can spend and then see what that money will buy you (year, condition, mileage, maintenance, mods).

LazyDriver

Established Member
I'll assume that a newer Mustang (ie. '15, '13-'14) is out of the question as a DD. That said, it is going to heavily depend on both your budget and your personal preferences. An '03-'04 Cobra is going to be much more expensive than, for example, a '00-'02 Mustang (or '00-'01 Cobra). And some will also depend on whether or not you plan to mod the Mustang you buy. First decide how much you can spend and then see what that money will buy you (year, condition, mileage, maintenance, mods).

Well a newer mustang was also an option, but seeing as the newer GTs are real pricey unfortunately they're out of my budget, even gave the v6 a thought. Oh yes I know the '03-'04 is going to be much more expensive which is why I wouldn't try to get one anytime soon, and as for mods yes I plan to mod whatever I decide to get but nothing too crazy. Well in a perfect world I would like to pick one up for no more than 5k then go for a 2gen Lightning, that's not too much to ask for right ? Haha yes I know I sound like I don't know what I want, because unfortunately I want it all :nonono: thank you for the input btw very helpful made me think a bit more.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Shop around and you can find a decent 99-04 2V Mustang for 5k or less. Car will get 25 mpg on the highway on regular fuel. It won't be fast per say but it'll get out of it's own way and will can sound good (and and catbacks are cheap for that car)

LazyDriver

Established Member
Shop around and you can find a decent 99-04 2V Mustang for 5k or less. Car will get 25 mpg on the highway on regular fuel. It won't be fast per say but it'll get out of it's own way and will can sound good (and and catbacks are cheap for that car)

I found one an 04 GT for about 4k with 22k sounds too good to be true but won't know until I check it out. 25mpg is great compared to the 17 or so I get now so that already is a plus, powerwise I don't need anything too crazy just something that'll be available when I need it and can have fun at the same time

shurur

Established Member
What's your actual budget?
$5k-$7k? ...7-10?
This is what determines what you are looking for...otherwise you have to wait or go with something else.

LazyDriver

Established Member
What's your actual budget?
$5k-$7k? ...7-10?
This is what determines what you are looking for...otherwise you have to wait or go with something else.
My actual budget is 15k but would like to be able to keep the purchase cost at around 5k or so, because I would like to continue to save up for a Lightning :rollseyes

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Why not try and pick up a SVT Focus? It would be way more practical than a Mustang as a DD and still fun with some modding potential. Hell, even a SVT Contour.

LazyDriver

Established Member
Why not try and pick up a SVT Focus? It would be way more practical than a Mustang as a DD and still fun with some modding potential. Hell, even a SVT Contour.

I've always thought that the Focus has looked a bit funky, now the SVT Contour isn't too bad, don't see too many of those

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
99-04 GT easily.

You should get a good one for $7-8k, I wouldn't trust one for any less unless it's someone you know.

MG0h3

Established Member
If you want a Cobra or Lightening, you shouldn't get any V8 mustang right now. Buy a 1500 Toyota Tercel or something like that; itll be the best car you ever own.

then save up and get what you want.

LazyDriver

Established Member
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...6-03-Silver-Metallic-Coupe-51k-miles-(16-500)

If this car is in average or above condition for the year and the only issue is that the trans is out, I suggest you go hold up the local 7-11 for 1500 bucks and buy this car. Smokin deal.

You're probably right about holding out on the V8 if I do want a lightning or cobra later on, but can you me for wanting it all :whine:
Wow that one isn't that bad of a deal, the journey to Florida from Cali on the other hand... :mj:

MG0h3

Established Member
You're probably right about holding out on the V8 if I do want a lightning or cobra later on, but can you me for wanting it all :whine:
Wow that one isn't that bad of a deal, the journey to Florida from Cali on the other hand... :mj:

ya my bad....I saw the city and confused it for one in CA somehow.

On the other hand, if you haven't had any type of V8 car or mustang, you may be better off with a GT and learn as you go.

LazyDriver

Established Member
ya my bad....I saw the city and confused it for one in CA somehow.

On the other hand, if you haven't had any type of V8 car or mustang, you may be better off with a GT and learn as you go.

The only V8 I've had so far is my DD 07 v8 4.6 F150, so this would be my first mustang

LazyDriver

Established Member
It would probably be an unreliable pos with high mileage.

If you're gonna get a 15 year old Mustang, spend the extra two grand to pick up the best example available.

Ah you're right that makes sense, just gotta wait for the right one to come by don't want to rush anything, especially when most of what you find have way over 100k miles

Users who are viewing this thread