need a new DD. cobalt ss or srt-4

Gravik

Established Member
SRT-4. But try and find one as close to stock as possible.

After owning an srt4 for a while, I would vote ss. The srt4 got horrible mpg for the mods I had.
I'm getting close to 25mpg with a clogged up cat. Friend of mine who owned it before me got 25-30 on 91 in town and 18-19 on E85

Plu the SRT-4 is 4 door.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
SRT4 will be your best bet out of the 2 choices hands down. I own a srt4 and had a friend with a SC SS...I was faster and got better gas mileage stock for stock. Don't start modding it, I don't think you will stop until its to late

Yeah id agree with this as far as performance/potential, even when compared to the TC SS. Sorry, but you just dont see many of these cars out there at 450whp level like its no big thing like you do with the SRT4.

However, I think OP is looking for a better overall vehicle, and the Cobalt does offer more in terms of comfort, fit and finish, build quality (still laughable but better than a neon), etc.

Though honestly, if I was in that situation, id be looking for a way better car than either of them if fuel savings is the key. Prolly the cheapest shitvic (civic) I could find that ran good with AC and shit if hes keeping the Cobra for weekend fun. Why bother paying $6-8k for a SRT4 thats probably been beaten/abused by some pimply faced 18yo just to get mid 20's mpg driving it as sanely as possible, when you can spend the same and get some civic from an older person that took good care of it that gets mid 30's no matter how you drive it?

Gravik

Established Member
Yeah. If ll you want is reliability and good gas mileage then best bet would be an EG Civic.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
So you want to "save money on gas" by purchasing a vehicle that requires premium fuel? Moronic at best.. Between the extra cost for 91/93 octane, mpg loss from more "spirited" driving, insurance cost and tires neither of these vehicles of make economic sense. :bash:

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I have a man card issue driving a modded Cobalt or Neon...for the simple fact it's a Cobalt and a Neon.

Why not buy a DD beater like a Saturn or something and keep the current car?

But LT1 camaros are ok? Usually people buy those after they come out of the closet.

Last edited:

Gravik

Established Member
So you want to "save money on gas" by purchasing a vehicle that requires premium fuel? Moronic at best.. Between the extra cost for 91/93 octane, mpg loss from more "spirited" driving, insurance cost and tires neither of these vehicles of make economic sense. :bash:

Premium is what, $2 per tank more than 87? Big deal.

71catruck

Established Member
I totally get what you guys are saying about a civic.
Did you read a single post in this form? Or are you one of those guys that looks at the title, maybe skims half of two posts and decides he has the perfect answer. I left out the ? on the last sentence because it wasn't a question, but rather a statement were I'm inferring that you are an ass and contributed nothing to this thread. I digress

I do know that neither of these cars are the "best" idea for a DD as far as saving money (relative term). I want to save money over driving my cobra. That is all im looking for here.

Spyderbell

No Time for Gas
Established Member
So you're having a kid? SRT4...... 4 doors.... But I am biased I loved mine and would own another in a heartbeat. But seriously 4 DOORS!

71catruck

Established Member
Yes im having a kid. Ya i get the 4 door is better, but i think the kid will be in my GF speed3 most the time so it wont really matter. We can switch cars, plus she already said she wont drive an srt4 because the head lights look stupid lol.

DarkMach1

Established Member
Yes im having a kid. Ya i get the 4 door is better, but i think the kid will be in my GF speed3 most the time so it wont really matter. We can switch cars, plus she already said she wont drive an srt4 because the head lights look stupid lol.

SS/TC is offered in 4dr. Great sleeper.

jbhguitar

Established Member
I kept my 2005 XRS Corolla when I got my Cobra last year. It easily gets 30 mpg on the freeway and 22-24 city depending on how I drive it. I bought it new and have driven it hard over its 113k mile life with only a couple minor problems (not power train related). I'd love to trade up to more power like an SRT-4/Cobalt SS/Ion Redline, but I think the mileage on those would suck since I do mostly city driving now and they'd be less reliable. Do you think you'd really save enough on gas with one of those to actually cover the cost of an additional car? If you are interested in the Corolla make sure it's the 05-06 with 2ZZ-GE.

71catruck

Established Member
The cobra has 130k on it the mpg suck and tires are expensive. It's not as reliable as it used to be. Gas and payment will probably be the same as gas in the mustang. Ya there is insurance also but imvtired of the cobra braking and not having a good car to drive.

jbhguitar

Established Member
Agree about the horrible mpgs. I was annoyed to find out after I bought my Cobra that the new Hankook tires the dealer put on were cheaper than the "stock" Michelins I've twice now replaced on the Corolla. But anyhow I see your point, it's great having a second more efficient car. My Cobra is low miles and hasn't broken down yet, but when I did maintenance and a few mods it was great knowing I could still get around even if I didn't finish the job. I drove an SRT-4 once and I liked the seats and shifter. Good luck!

Spyderbell

No Time for Gas
Established Member
Sorry I couldn't help. Just wait till you can't switch cars. I'm trying to help because I'm there right now. Have a supercrew F150 and 4 door jetta for a reason...

Spyderbell

No Time for Gas
Established Member

on this note why even ask? You have your mind made up anyway

71catruck

Established Member
Just never known anyone with an SS. So if everyone came on here and said all the engines and tranny brake than I would probably stay away from it. I just have no experience with them.

Users who are viewing this thread