need a new DD. cobalt ss or srt-4

71catruck

Established Member
So found out a few weeks ago the the GF is knocked up. She has a 2010 speed3 so the kid will probably be in that most the time, but i need to start saving money on gas. I have driven a 04 srt-4 and it was a lot of fun, they seam to be more expensive than the SS though. Never driven a SS so just wondering if anyone has any experience with either. Leaning towards the SS because the GF hates the srt-4.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
The SRT4 is a far more "durable" package than the SS IMO.

You dont see 450fwhp SS Cobalts as much as you do simple 50trim SRT4's. Id also venture to say the 2.4L in the SRT4 is a more reliable platform. The neon is a very simple car and aside from SRT4 parts, the rest of it is cheap and plentiful as **** should you need to replace anything.

71catruck

Established Member
You bring up some good points. The car will remain stock for the most part though. Im keeping the cobra, just not going to drive it every day.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
You bring up some good points. The car will remain stock for the most part though. Im keeping the cobra, just not going to drive it every day.

Even better. I knew of people who just daily drove theirs with maybe S1 or S2 mopar staged kits and had zero issues, got mid 20's mpg driving decently sane.

Though im sure at that modification level the SSTC cobalt would do just as well. Drive them both and see what you prefer, but as far as price, the SRT4 are holding value because they are simply a better platform.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Ive driven a cobalt ss. Pretty good cars. Theyre not the fastest things out by any means but they were pretty comfortable.

SOVACobra03

I have an addiction......
Established Member
My buddy has a turbo cobalt ss and it's much better than a srt 4 imo. Intake down pipe and a decent tune and he's putting 340 to the wheels on the dyno and still getting 30 mpg street. I'm certianly not a fan of any front wheel performance but I even like the car

Boosted T-4

GTFD
Established Member
My old 50 trim SRT made 450/450 and I beat the shit out of it. I only managed to break a few tranny parts.

I don't know much about the SS but I know the SRT would make a great daily.

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
A good friend of mine has an 09 SS with a ZZP EFR turbo kit, full bolt ons, and it's on E85. It walks my pulley 470whp Cobra HARD pull after pull. Pretty reliable too with the exception of (insert recall joke)

I have driven it several times and it drives pretty good. Handles great, the brembo brakes are great, and the recaro made seats are comfy and supportive. Built in no lift shifting that gives a satisfying pow pow pow pow with flames sometimes between shifts. You can make a lot of power with the stock K04 .

Cons of the slobalts......
The shifter linkage design from the factory is horrible. You will want to replace it with a full TWM setup. Then it works great.
E brake cables tend to snap more often the desirable.

I have also driven a skittles. What a POS. Early 2000's hard rattling plastic everywhere. The powertrain is incredible though. Finding one that wasn't beat to living hell by 10 owners will either be impossible or very expensive. Great cars, but I would not want to daily one. The Cobalt is more refined.

Here is his car......
1008349_10151752292793140_1176542051_o.jpg

Last edited:

94_Vert

Established Member
After owning an srt4 for a while, I would vote ss. The srt4 got horrible mpg for the mods I had.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
ive driven a few SRT4s and they are my guilty pleasure car for sure. they are a blast, are tough as hell and can go like stink. along with a viper probably the only chrysler product id own.

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
I have to agree on the srt-4 front. I am a sucker for them and would dd one in a heartbeat if i got the chance. I have never driven or been in an SS, much less a modded one so my opinion is pretty biased.

Last edited:

bokyo1987

Established Member
Voting for the Cobalt because of the nicer ride... personally the SRT4s always felt really cheap to me comparatively speaking. If you decide to mod later on, ZZPerformance has you covered.

Users who are viewing this thread