need a few more horses...bunch of questions regaurding bolt on HP

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
i have gotten used to the power my car is making, and would like to add a few more horses. nothing crazy right now, like a TS or nitrous. mainly talking about/looking into more bolt-ons. of course what im trying to do is find the most bang for your buck type of mod.

my car is mostly stock. the only mods i have done to her are: 2.8 upper, JLT RAI, diablo tuned, steeda cat-back, and anti-venom.

my questions are as fallows...to get the most HP for the money spent, should i look into getting a bigger throttle body, and plenum? about how much HP would i pick up from this?

or would i benefit more/get more power out of a mid-pipe, to go along w/my cat-back? of course the mid-pipe would be much cheaper than the TB/plenum combo, and would give me much more sound...but as far as HP goes...would i get more from the TB combo?

i guess the only other thing i have to choose from (other than headers)would be getting my eaton ported. the only thing that is holding me back from that is, right now i am on a budget...and it seems there is a lot of other stuff that you have to get w/the port, that starts adding up ($$) pretty quickly... ie injectors, BAP, dyno tune, etc..so really not even sure if i can even consider the port at this time.

What would you do?

Last edited:

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
i have gotten used to the power my car is making, and would like to add a few more horses. nothing crazy right now, like a TS or nitrous. mainly talking about/looking into more bolt-ons. of course what im trying to do is find the most bang for your buck type of mod.

my car is mostly stock. the only mods i have done to her are: 2.8 upper, JLT RAI, diablo tuned, steeda cat-back, and anti-venom.

my questions are as fallows...to get the most HP for the money spent, should i look into getting a bigger throttle body, and plenum? about how much HP would i pick up from this?

or would i benefit more/get more power out of a mid-pipe, to go along w/my cat-back? of course the mid-pipe would be much cheaper than the TB/plenum combo, and would give me much more sound...but as far as HP goes...would i get more from the TB combo?

i guess the only other thing i have to choose from (other than headers)would be getting my eaton ported. the only thing that is holding me back from that is, right now i am on a budget...and it seems there is a lot of other stuff that you have to get w/the port, that starts adding up ($$) pretty quickly... ie injectors, BAP, dyno tune, etc..so really not even sure if i can even consider the port at this time.

What would you do?

I would --->
search.jpg
. The answers to your questions have already been posted in other threads.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
you know whats funny...is i searched, and searched, but still could not find a thread giving me others opinions on which mod they would do next, if they were in my shoes. thank you kindley for all of your help tho!

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I would skip the throttle body and exhaust and go for the port.

Not only will it increase HP but it will also run cooler. You will also get the most gain for your $$$ as well.

cobracide

Established Member
You need to get a port first to take advantage of a new tb/plenum. Your best bang for the buck at this point will be a port.

03TRKB

The LSX Swapped Guy
Established Member
Yeah, If it isn't in your budget, save some more..A Posi Port on the blower, TB, and Plenum would be like 650...And you would have 500hp..

cobracide

Established Member
Yeah, If it isn't in your budget, save some more..A Posi Port on the blower, TB, and Plenum would be like 650...And you would have 500hp..

There is more to it than that, you are forgetting the supporting mods needed plus a tune. If you are going the cheap route then look to the terminator parts forum.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would just save your money until you can then afford the port and supporting mods. You might want to save for a 4lb. lower as well because you're ported (and more efficient) Eaton will be able to handle more boost. And then HOPE that you'll be content for awhile before investing in headers and other mods. LOL!

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
looks like saving for a port is def the way to go...majority rules.

KINGCOBRA86 , to answer your question - "who tuned my car?" right now i am running the canned diable pulley tune. i know, i know...canned tunes suck! haha =]~

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
looks like saving for a port is def the way to go...majority rules.

KINGCOBRA86 , to answer your question - "who tuned my car?" right now i am running the canned diable pulley tune. i know, i know...canned tunes suck! haha =]~

Will there u go slap o/r x pipe and get a dyno tune , bet u will gain alot going from that canned tune

Last edited:

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
good point, and call! i didnt even consider the hp difference i would pick up w/ a good tune. of course, if i did get the tune...and then a lil later, got the blower ported, then more than likely i would have to get it retuned tho....wouldnt i?

evolve

Established Member
Yes. Some tuners offer a customer loyalty pricing tho. So if your initial tune is $400, then next tunes would be like $200-300. Or some even do it free. Look around for a good tuner first, then consider price.

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
Yes u will most shops don't charge that much for a retune, I gained 36hp just from a fresh tune , nothing changed just tunners, Bring it to tx get hpp or Gearheads to tune it for you.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
I honestly wouldn't do a lower without a point. And Xpipe will net you some gains but a port and a real tune will be where you'll find the most power. I would suggest hitting up the market and trying to find some good used parts. Maybe you can get lucky and get all of them for about the same price (minus the tune of course)

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
I agree with the others. Save for the port and supporting mods and them get a good dyno tune. I would also add the mid pipe at this time also.

346CamaroSS

Established Member
don't mean to thread hijack:
does anyone know typical gains seen after a catted/OR x or h-pipe with an aftermarket catback?

Users who are viewing this thread