NCAA Football 4 team playoff

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Mc

Just remember this as we've been trying to tell you it since umm forever.

Matt is an internet tough guy who plays a pussy in real life. You're a little bitch. I comment on the topic of the thread and your responses and posts are nothing but bullshit...not on topic, always slanted, and never unbiased. You start mud slinging and calling people names because your arguments are flawed and one-sided because you are a big pussy. I bet you got picked on a lot as a kid...wait, no, as an adult. And as a result you resort to acting tough in smackdown on a Mustang site. You're the man!

Its funny because I'm just responding to the thread topic and you get your vag all moist because I said something negative (but on topic) about an SEC team. The fact is, LSU sucked donkey dick in the NCG and you should recognize donkey dick sucking as you are a pro at it. You give college football and SEC fans a bad name. Why don't you crawl back into that hole you came out of and come out when Auburn is relevant...see you in 2040.

Last edited:

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Matt is an internet tough guy who plays a pussy in real life. You're a little bitch. I comment on the topic of the thread and your responses and posts are nothing but bullshit...not on topic, always slanted, and never unbiased. You start mud slinging and calling people names because your arguments are flawed and one-sided because you are a big pussy. I bet you got picked on a lot as a kid...wait, no, as an adult. And as a result you resort to acting tough in smackdown on a Mustang site. You're the man!

Its funny because I'm just responding to the thread topic and you get your vag all moist because I said something negative (but on topic) about an SEC team. The fact is, LSU sucked donkey dick in the NCG and you should recognize donkey dick sucking as you are a pro at it. You give college football and SEC fans a bad name. Why don't you crawl back into that hole you came out of and come out when Auburn is relevant...see you in 2040.

Yes at 6'4 and 225 lbs and a three sport athlete in high school, I got picked on all the time.

It's only continued as I'm now in officer in the Army. It's absolutely miserable how bad people pick on me. I'm such a pussy that I joined the military...

I look forward to your mediocrity under Urban Cryer.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Yes at 6'4 and 225 lbs and a three sport athlete in high school, I got picked on all the time.

It's only continued as I'm now in officer in the Army. It's absolutely miserable how bad people pick on me. I'm such a pussy that I joined the military...

I look forward to your mediocrity under Urban Cryer.

You're a turd. I'm done with you.

Three sport athlete in HIGH SCHOOL...big ****ing deal. We are all impressed. And I don't give a shit if you are an officer in the Army. There are just as many prick **** nuts in the service as there are on the street. If you are serving, it looks like it hasn't done you a bit a good. You're a piece of shit.

ragingclue

Semper Gumby
Established Member
How often during the BCS era has the #5 team laid any type of claim to play in the NCG?

But the frame of reference will be shifted, it will no longer be about "deserving to play in the NCG", it will become about "deserving to play in the playoff". The NCG will just be the end result if you win out in the playoffs. The way D1 is structured currently, I don't know if there is a suitable playoff system you could put in place.

Point being: no matter what we do, even this 4 team playoff system, the bitching about the system will not go away. That's all I was saying.

Last edited:

mcdover

Established Member
If you play in a big boy conference and you don't lose any games, you are going to be ranked in the top 4. If your SOS is weak (Boise), and you drop a game, you will be watching the playoff from home.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
If you play in a big boy conference and you don't lose any games, you are going to be ranked in the top 4. If your SOS is weak (Boise), and you drop a game, you will be watching the playoff from home.

Yep. This playoff isn't there to appease everyone.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member

+1

It gives everyone in a major conference a roadmap to the NC. Go undefeated and you are in the playoff. It doesn't matter if you are Vanderbilt or Minnesota, if you go undefeated you will have run the most (if not the most) difficult schedule in the country. If you lose a game you still have a shot because if you only lose one and you win your big boy conference, you have a better shot at getting into the 4 teamer than a straight up NCG.

mcdover

Established Member
+1

It gives everyone in a major conference a roadmap to the NC. Go undefeated and you are in the playoff. It doesn't matter if you are Vanderbilt or Minnesota, if you go undefeated you will have run the most (if not the most) difficult schedule in the country. If you lose a game you still have a shot because if you only lose one and you win your big boy conference, you have a better shot at getting into the 4 teamer than a straight up NCG.

A lot of fans are still going to cry, bitch, and moan when their 1-loss team doesn't make the cut, but two SEC teams get in. SOS is the key. Just because Connecticut runs the table and wins their conference, doesn't mean they are one of the 4 best teams in the country.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
A lot of fans are still going to cry, bitch, and moan when their 1-loss team doesn't make the cut, but two SEC teams get in. SOS is the key. Just because Connecticut runs the table and wins their conference, doesn't mean they are one of the 4 best teams in the country.

True, but if you are from the PAC12, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, or ACC and you are unbeaten, you are gonna be ranked in the top 4. I'm not sure I even consider the Big East a BCS conference anymore.

When it comes to one loss teams, you are right in that SOS is the key. It will be interesting to see what happens the first time there is a debate over who's #4 among one loss teams.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
You're a turd. I'm done with you.

Three sport athlete in HIGH SCHOOL...big ****ing deal. We are all impressed. And I don't give a shit if you are an officer in the Army. There are just as many prick **** nuts in the service as there are on the street. If you are serving, it looks like it hasn't done you a bit a good. You're a piece of shit.

Ohh who's the tough little man behind a computer now?

I'd get upset, but that's like getting upset when a child with down syndrome and mental retardation calls someone stupid.

Know your place on the food chain little guy.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member

If the SEC CG loser has 1 loss there is no way they are not getting into the 4 team playoff unless there are a total of 3 undefeated teams from the PAC, Big 10, ACC, and Big 12. Also, if you have 1 loss in the SEC and that loss is to the undefeated conference champ (like Bama last year) you are getting into the 4 team playoff.

I'm wondering if that would be true for any conference though. For example, let's say USC goes unbeaten and beats Oregon in the PAC CG. If Oregon only has one loss (to USC) I highly doubt they wouldn't be in the top 4. Or am I crazy?

mcdover

Established Member
If the SEC CG loser has 1 loss there is no way they are not getting into the 4 team playoff unless there are a total of 3 undefeated teams from the PAC, Big 10, ACC, and Big 12. Also, if you have 1 loss in the SEC and that loss is to the undefeated conference champ (like Bama last year) you are getting into the 4 team playoff.

I'm wondering if that would be true for any conference though. For example, let's say USC goes unbeaten and beats Oregon in the PAC CG. If Oregon only has one loss (to USC) I highly doubt they wouldn't be in the top 4. Or am I crazy?

Nope, you're not crazy. You have to admit, there is a distinct difference in being a 1-loss SEC team and a 1-loss PAC or ACC team. The buzzsaw that is the SEC conference schedule is what separates them from everybody else. This is Auburn's schedule with ESPN's preseason rankings:

Sat, Sept 1
vs
Clemson*#16

Sat, Sept 8
@
Mississippi State

Sat, Sept 15
vs
Louisiana-Monroe

Sat, Sept 22
vs
LSU#1

Sat, Oct 6
vs
Arkansas#13

Sat, Oct 13
@
Ole Miss

Sat, Oct 20
@
Vanderbilt

Sat, Oct 27
vs
Texas A&M

Sat, Nov 3
vs
New Mexico State

Sat, Nov 10
vs
Georgia#5

Sat, Nov 17
vs
Alabama A&M

Sat, Nov 24
@
Alabama#3

Now say Auburn manages to get through that schedule with only 1 loss AND beats another top ten team in the SECCG, I think a very serious argument can and will be made that their body of work would trump another conferences undefeated champion. What do you think?

Oregon only plays three preseason ranked opponents, of which only one (USC) is in the top ten. Meanwhile, Auburn plays 5 ranked teams with three teams that are in the top five!

Last edited:

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Nope, you're not crazy. You have to admit, there is a distinct difference in being a 1-loss SEC team and a 1-loss PAC or ACC team. The buzzsaw that is the SEC conference schedule is what separates them from everybody else. This is Auburn's schedule with ESPN's preseason rankings:

Sat, Sept 1
vs
Clemson*#16

Sat, Sept 8
@
Mississippi State

Sat, Sept 15
vs
Louisiana-Monroe

Sat, Sept 22
vs
LSU#1

Sat, Oct 6
vs
Arkansas#13

Sat, Oct 13
@
Ole Miss

Sat, Oct 20
@
Vanderbilt

Sat, Oct 27
vs
Texas A&M

Sat, Nov 3
vs
New Mexico State

Sat, Nov 10
vs
Georgia#5

Sat, Nov 17
vs
Alabama A&M

Sat, Nov 24
@
Alabama#3

Now say Auburn manages to get through that schedule with only 1 loss AND beats another top ten team in the SECCG, I think a very serious argument can and will be made that their body of work would trump another conferences undefeated champion. What do you think?

Oregon only plays three preseason ranked opponents, of which only one (USC) is in the top ten. Meanwhile, Auburn plays 5 ranked teams with three teams that are in the top five!

While that schedule is impressive, preseason rankings are often way off. If Auburn were undefeated after playing that schedule and the rankings were end of the season rankings that would be quite the accomplishment. As an Auburn fan you know all too well about preseason rankings. In 2010 you guys were ranked 22 and 23 in the two preseason polls and won the NC.

One thing is for certain, you can normally bank on Clemson, Bama, UGA, A&M, LSU and Arkansas being good to great every year. Even in a down year for any of those programs you can't automatically pencil in a "W". That's 6 "toss up" games on the schedule. As a Buckeye fan we usually have only 3 or 4 toss up games (Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, maybe Mich St, and maybe whoever we play as our "big game" out of conference).

mcdover

Established Member
While that schedule is impressive, preseason rankings are often way off. If Auburn were undefeated after playing that schedule and the rankings were end of the season rankings that would be quite the accomplishment. As an Auburn fan you know all too well about preseason rankings. In 2010 you guys were ranked 22 and 23 in the two preseason polls and won the NC.

One thing is for certain, you can normally bank on Clemson, Bama, UGA, A&M, LSU and Arkansas being good to great every year. Even in a down year for any of those programs you can't automatically pencil in a "W". That's 6 "toss up" games on the schedule. As a Buckeye fan we usually have only 3 or 4 toss up games (Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, maybe Mich St, and maybe whoever we play as our "big game" out of conference).

I agree about preseason rankings, but you've got to start somewhere. I really wish initial rankings weren't done until after the 3rd week of the season, but it is what it is. All I'm saying is, a couple of years ago Connecticut went to a freaking BCS bowl because they were the Big East champion, while MUCH better teams played in lesser bowls. If we are in agreement that the 4 best teams are to go to the playoff, then the 4th team is not always going to be a conference champion.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I agree about preseason rankings, but you've got to start somewhere. I really wish initial rankings weren't done until after the 3rd week of the season, but it is what it is. All I'm saying is, a couple of years ago Connecticut went to a freaking BCS bowl because they were the Big East champion, while MUCH better teams played in lesser bowls. If we are in agreement that the 4 best teams are to go to the playoff, then the 4th team is not always going to be a conference champion.

Agreed that it won't be all conference champions every year, although supposedly they're going to give "extra weight" for winning the conference. Also agreed that preseason rankings are total bullshit, especially when it comes to UGA.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Agreed that it won't be all conference champions every year, although supposedly they're going to give "extra weight" for winning the conference. Also agreed that preseason rankings are total bullshit, especially when it comes to UGA.

They've also said they'll give "extra weight" to strength of schedule.

Ultimately, this changes essentially nothing. Bias will still take place and perception will weigh in much more than facts or stats.

There will still be constant confusion and bitching over who will get the 4th spot.

Honestly, this plays right into the SEC currently. Hence, why Delaney kept bitching that it should only be conference champions--which is appalling. What's the point of a playoff if it's not the 4 best teams?

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
It may not be perfect (by any means), but it's a hell of a lot better than what we have right now. I'd have preferred an 8 team playoff, for the record.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member

Yeah, when I saw McDover's post about AU's schedule and UGA being preseason #5 I just thought "Huh, that's not gonna last." I'll admit they are "on the rise" but one wrong turn with their schedule and shit can hit the fan real quick.

What's the point of a playoff if it's not the 4 best teams?

That's why he is a turd. If the true meaning of the playoff is to pit the four best teams in the country (and there will be some debating about who those 4 teams are, no doubt) against one another, you can't just have conference champs. It makes no sense. It makes me wonder if he wants to try to prove to people that the Big 10 is a dominant conference but he doesn't want to prove it by having his champ beat 2 of the "real" top 4 teams; instead he'd like for his champ to beat a two loss ACC champ (who qualified for the playoff because they are simply a champ) and get a crack at the other great team still standing at the end.

Users who are viewing this thread