NCAA Football 4 team playoff

Terrminatted

Turtle Man
Established Member
Very surprised to not see this in here already. So, my fellow dicktards, what do you think about this? Is it about time, or will the 5th ranked team always get ****ed? Either way, it's a change, and it's a change that I agree with!

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
It's only a matter of time until it gets expanded to 8 or 16 teams.

However, it is a step in the right direction. As an SEC alum and fan, it worked out quite well for is.

Jim Delaney's a pussy.

ragingclue

Semper Gumby
Established Member
If the waters are murky about who is #2, they can usually only be murkier as you head down the rankings. So, I'm sure there will be at least as much drama as there is already. Move the cutoff down to #16 and see what happens, all hell will break loose. In the end, I think they're looking for a solution that will appease everyone, and that's just not possible.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
If the waters are murky about who is #2, they can usually only be murkier as you head down the rankings. So, I'm sure there will be at least as much drama as there is already. Move the cutoff down to #16 and see what happens, all hell will break loose. In the end, I think they're looking for a solution that will appease everyone, and that's just not possible.

Finally someone with some sense and not just a bunch of SEC nut hugging.

As for the format, it is only going to get more contentious as you move down the rankings, so I don't think this will resolve everything. As ragingclue said, you can't satisfy everyone. Someone who is darn good is going to get left out at #5 and as soon as that team destroys another top 10 team in a bowl game people will start crying that they shouldn't have been left out.

I would combine teams from the ACC and SEC into a super conference, teams from the Big 10 and Big East into a super conference, have a "Mid America" conference (Big 12 and other good teams like TCU, etc), and a "Western" conference (PAC 12 and other top programs from the western part of the country). Four conferences each with two divisions (8 teams in each division) with division winners playing for the conference title. You have 4 conference champs that square off in a playoff. Granted, you would have to get rid of the LSU vs. LA-Lafayette and Ohio State vs. Toledo cupcake games to fit divisional schedules, but that just means more good matchups early in the season. You play the other 7 teams in your division, rotate each year with 4 games against schools in the other division in your conference, plus you play one game each year against a team from one of the other 3 major conferences. Just a thought...

Last edited:

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Just get used to two of the four being from the SEC.

I hope so, that way we can have an epic matchup like we did last year when LSU almost crossed midfield.

I would have felt a lot better about the NCG last year if the two teams who played in it played a semifinal game and beat either Okie State or Stanford. I'm not sure both would have played in the NCG if there were a 4 team playoff last year...esp LSU.

mcdover

Established Member
I hope so, that way we can have an epic matchup like we did last year when LSU almost crossed midfield.

I would have felt a lot better about the NCG last year if the two teams who played in it played a semifinal game and beat either Okie State or Stanford. I'm not sure both would have played in the NCG if there were a 4 team playoff last year...esp LSU.

LSU destroyed everybody it played with the exception of Alabama. If Alabama and LSU were forced to play Stanford and OK State, the results would still be the same. BTW, why pick Stanford? Oregon was the PAC12 champ. Oh yeah, they already played LSU and got their ass handed to them. :rollseyes

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
I see an off-season still hasn't increased jpro's knowledge of collegiate football.

Notice everyone accepts that Delaney is in fact a pussy.

mcdover

Established Member
I think 8 would have been better but 4 is much better than the current BCS system.

No other sport emphasizes the regular season more than D1 football, every game counts. 8 teams is just too many and just ends up rewarding teams that lost two games.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Good point but the number 5 team often gets screwed and a 6 teamer doesn't work well imo. Also, teams in tougher conferences that would whup up on a team with one or no losses from another weaker conference may have one or 2 losses. and fall out of the top 5.

No other sport emphasizes the regular season more than D1 football, every game counts. 8 teams is just too many and just ends up rewarding teams that lost two games.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member

How often during the BCS era has the #5 team laid any type of claim to play in the NCG? Never. How often has the #3 team been able to do the same? Quite a few times. By taking the top 4 teams that problem goes away. No matter how many teams are involved in a playoff (even the 64 teams in basketball) the team on the bubble will always complain.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
I see an off-season still hasn't increased jpro's knowledge of collegiate football.

Notice everyone accepts that Delaney is in fact a pussy.

I'm just saying that I wasn't sure that the two best teams played in the NCG last year and that I would have been convinced that they were the two best had they won a semifinal against the #3 and #4 teams in the country (OKST and Stanford).

You can't tell me that what you saw from LSU in the NCG convinced you that they were one of the top two teams in the country. If anything, it should have given you doubt that they could have beaten OKST and Stanford. Had we had a 4 teamer last year LSU probably would not have hade the NCG...IMO.

mcdover

Established Member
I'm just saying that I wasn't sure that the two best teams played in the NCG last year and that I would have been convinced that they were the two best had they won a semifinal against the #3 and #4 teams in the country (OKST and Stanford).

You can't tell me that what you saw from LSU in the NCG convinced you that they were one of the top two teams in the country. If anything, it should have given you doubt that they could have beaten OKST and Stanford. Had we had a 4 teamer last year LSU probably would not have hade the NCG...IMO.

LSU was undefeated and ranked #1, who would you have put in the NCG if not them??? Oregon beat the #4 team Stanford, and LSU handed Oregon their ass on a nuetral field. Who did OK ST lose to? Freaking Iowa State! If there was a four team playoff, the results would've been the same.......two SEC teams in the NCG! And no Big Ten team anywhere in sight.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Off topic----- Do you think Reuben Foster flips to us?

No doubt. It was over for bama when he transferred to Auburn High. I'm interested in seeing what happens with Matthews and Wiggins though with Matthews claim that all three will play together in college. No way Reuben ends up at UGA.

Umm I can undoubtedly say that LSU was not only one of the top teams, but deserved their number 1 ranking going into the NC.

You're a lot dumber than I thought if you are trying to argue that UNDEFEATED LSU didn't deserve to be there.

The only argument that can be made is that bama didn't deserve to be in the game. The answer to that is: Oklahoma State shouldn't lose to Iowa State.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
LSU was undefeated and ranked #1, who would you have put in the NCG if not them??? Oregon beat the #4 team Stanford, and LSU handed Oregon their ass on a nuetral field. Who did OK ST lose to? Freaking Iowa State! If there was a four team playoff, the results would've been the same.......two SEC teams in the NCG! And no Big Ten team anywhere in sight.

No doubt. It was over for bama when he transferred to Auburn High. I'm interested in seeing what happens with Matthews and Wiggins though with Matthews claim that all three will play together in college. No way Reuben ends up at UGA.

Umm I can undoubtedly say that LSU was not only one of the top teams, but deserved their number 1 ranking going into the NC.

You're a lot dumber than I thought if you are trying to argue that UNDEFEATED LSU didn't deserve to be there.

The only argument that can be made is that bama didn't deserve to be in the game. The answer to that is: Oklahoma State shouldn't lose to Iowa State.

I feel so bad for both of you...you share the same brain and it is one with an IQ that would qualify you as mentally retarded. Under last year's setup LSU was undefeated and won a major conference. They deserve to be in the NCG. What I said was that if we had a four team playoff last year with the #3 and #4 teams in it I don't think LSU would have made it to the NCG...they stunk it up big time. How is that so hard to understand? Their performance in the NCG was so atrocious and Stanford's and OKST's performances were so good that at the end of the year I think both were better than LSU. If we had a playoff I think one of them would have knocked out LSU.

Sorry, I know it seems amazing that someone might think another top 5 team would have beaten LSU...but I assure you there are a lot of people who think this. They are the rational, open-minded, non SEC nut swinging general population.

Users who are viewing this thread