natural gas garage heating

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
How many of you use forced air natural gas garage heaters (forced air)? do you leave them on a thermostat to keep the garage warm? do you just fire them up on days you are in the garage? expensive to run?

curious to hear thoughts and experiences on these.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
I don't know what all you'll be storing in the garage, but keep in mind that natural gas heating tends to remove moisture from the air.

thebestofindica

Established Member
I don't know what all you'll be storing in the garage, but keep in mind that natural gas heating tends to remove moisture from the air.

Yes and likewise, propane heaters add water vapor. Don't use propane. Also, Cost to Operate = usage (hours or load) x (BTUs/100,000) x price per therm.

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
Okay here is the deal. I have a traditional colonial

built in 2011
Standard 2.5 car garage (1 double door)
all walls and ceiling are obviously insulated
not sure if the garage door carries any type of insulation rating?
main natural gas line goes through the garage.

i store tools, fishing stuff, detailing/wash products, chemicals, etc in the garage. cars go in and out of the garage.

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
would i see any cost benefit to keeping the garage at 45-50degrees in the winter? since some of the heat would transfer to the upstairs masterbedrrom above the garage and less drafting when coming in the garage. or am i being too wishful?

really id just like a sensible way to really heat up the garage to do woodworking and working on the cars comfortably. even if its only heated when im working.

We had a kerosene torpedo heater and i hated it, i dont want propane, so it seems NG is the way to go.

Attachments

• 27465_2000x2000.jpg
    27465_2000x2000.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
I'd honestly stay away from the Mr Heater stuff. We work on and red tag so much of their stuff every winter. That heater you have pictured is a straight knock off of the Modine HotDawg garage heater.

If the NatGas line runs through your garage, just tap into that. You'll need a GFI to plug it into for electric and you can get a tstat to control it. Run the line over, put on a sediment trap and shutoff valve and you're good to go gas wise.

Also, something to think about. Those forced air heaters are 80% efficient and below for the most part. You could probable get a 95% efficient gas furnace for the same money. Granted it would take up floor space but it would be more efficient. Just make a plenum on top with a couple adjustable 90s.

Last edited:

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
How high are your ceilings? I have 10' ceilings and use a radiant tube heater rated at 40k btu. I set my thermostat to 50*f and haven't noticed much of an increase in my gas bill. Only down side is the minimum clearance required is 36" so I have to be cautious when I park our jeep in backwards. Thing is amazing and puts out lots of heat, it quickly heats up our double car garage (22x22) if I need to work in there.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
How high are your ceilings? I have 10' ceilings and use a radiant tube heater rated at 40k btu. I set my thermostat to 50*f and haven't noticed much of an increase in my gas bill. Only down side is the minimum clearance required is 36" so I have to be cautious when I park our jeep in backwards. Thing is amazing and puts out lots of heat, it quickly heats up our double car garage (22x22) if I need to work in there.

Tube heaters are awesome. We use Detroit Radiant and do a lot of them in firehouses and ambulance clubs. But like you said, be very careful because you can and will melt or destroy something very easily if you don't follow the minimum clearances.

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
not sure on radiant because ill want it warm quickly when i go out to the garage, the more i think about it the less likely i am to run it all the time.

i used the mr heater as an example, i know its chinese. what are some american made ones, modine?

if i consider radiant, does it still need to be vented? i might be swayed if it is ventless. so many things to consider here.....

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
HotDawg General sizing is:

30k btu for one to one-half car garage
45k btu for two to two-half car garage
60k btu for three to three-half car garage

What you will need depends on 1) where you live and what type of climate you have; 2) how tight your garage is and 3) hiw many windows / doors are there and how tall are your ceilings.

Typically the heat loss in a residential garage is pretty high. It should help regulate the temp of the room above it as heat rises will radiate through the ceiling of the garage and the floor of the room above.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Why not go ductless mini split? You could install an 18,000 BTU Gree, Mitsubishi, Halcyon, the choice is yours. Since your garage is fully insulated heating and cooling it would be a snap. These units might be more money up front but are much more economic to run, you can cool / dehumidify the area in the summer and keep it warm in the winter. True climate control.

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
im in CNY so im not worried about AC in my garage. just heat for when its brutally cold so the mini split doesnt really do anything for me.

no windows and only 1 interior door. 3 insulated walls and an insulated ceiling because my mastr bed is above the garage. im really thinking ive got a lot going for me in heating the garage.

jcthorne

Established Member

OP was talking about fan forced NG heating. Not vent free radiant heaters. NG fan forced heaters use a flue and all combustion gasses are exhausted outdoors. There is no net increase or decrease to indoor moisture from these types of heaters. Propane is exactly the same. (but much more expensive).

jcthorne

Established Member
Since you have NG available, the type heaters you are looking are are the right direction. Don't bother wasting the gas to keep it heated other than when you are in there. Well, you might want it set at say 40 or so to keep everything from freezing should a real cold snap hit.

You will need a professional install. NG plumbing requires a licensed plumber for NG, and you will need a flue either up out the roof or out a side wall.

Real question is, how much will you use it? NG is a cheap heat source but expensive to install. If you will only use it a few (say less than 20) days a year, you may be money ahead to go with electric shop heaters you can install yourself. They will cost more to run, but cheaper up front.

The minisplit would not do you any real service. And it is MORE expensive to run than a 80% NG heater in your part of the country. Other than AC, it has no advantages for your.

Users who are viewing this thread